Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The what to bring question

The what to bring question

Old Apr 19th 2003, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough
Default The what to bring question

If you're heading to Perth I think I would bring towels, bedding especially, as these tend to be a lot more expensive for reasonable quality things than the UK. Also Aussie tastes are different and I haven't seen many that I just HAD to buy!

Also if you're buying white goods go in with cash and bargain. I took a friend who's more balshy than me and we got loads knocked off. Bought a good fridge freezer, washing machine, TV, microwave, the first two with extended warantees all for less than $3,000 which I didn't think was too bad.

If anyone needs any specific shopping queries ask away

Loopy
Old Apr 19th 2003, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good post Loopy we will buy some towels and stuff here.

We are currently undecided on buying a new whirlpool washing machine and a Dyson hoover.

Can get them at trade price here from Costco or Macro. Shipping will be peanuts on overall cost.

Any suggestions.

Thanks
Old Apr 19th 2003, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

Photochromatic (Reactolite) Sunglasses. Difficult to find in Oz and expensive if you do find them.
Old Apr 19th 2003, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Mandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really nice

If you take your own sheets and duvet covers will they fit the beds in Oz?
Mandy
Old Apr 19th 2003, 11:51 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

We threw away our vaccuum cleaner in the UK as it was old and I didn't fancy the thorough cleaning you have to do to it before shipping.

We did bring our Miele front loading washing machine and tumble drier, or at least they are on their way in the container somewhere.

The problem is going to be if any of them ever breaks down because I'm not sure they sell them over here, I've not seen them anywhere and spare parts will simply not be available.

That's something to consider too.

Dan

Originally posted by karawara88

We are currently undecided on buying a new whirlpool washing machine and a Dyson hoover.

Can get them at trade price here from Costco or Macro. Shipping will be peanuts on overall cost.

Any suggestions.

Thanks
Old Apr 20th 2003, 9:20 pm
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by karawara88

Any suggestions.

Thanks
Be careful if buying new stuff to ship out with you. If customs find they are new you will be hit with charges. the things you bring in with you are supposed to be at least 12 months old. Also you probably won't be able to take advantage of 12 month warrenty that come with most new appliances, especially if they are not sold in Aus shops.

Just a thought......

Sally
Old Apr 20th 2003, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sally1968
Be careful if buying new stuff to ship out with you. If customs find they are new you will be hit with charges. the things you bring in with you are supposed to be at least 12 months old. Also you probably won't be able to take advantage of 12 month warrenty that come with most new appliances, especially if they are not sold in Aus shops.

Just a thought......

Sally
Blimey! Do you know if that's the same for NZ?

Gra...
Old Apr 20th 2003, 9:37 pm
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Gra.B
Blimey! Do you know if that's the same for NZ?

Gra...
Can't help you there i'm afraid.....
Old Apr 20th 2003, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sally1968
Can't help you there i'm afraid.....
Thanks anyway, it's a good point though, I'll try and look into it later.

Cheers, Gra...
Old Apr 20th 2003, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

Bigdigger is an unknown quantity at this point

It would be same for NZ,

buying new and customs is a problem, I got around this on my last move to NZ when most white goods I took were brand new. Its not exactly cosher but it works. !!

The warranty may be void, individual manafactures have different clauses, it is a chance you have to take. But on cost saving it was worth the chance, plus not many things go wrong in first 12 months..
Old Apr 21st 2003, 1:49 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by renth
We threw away our vaccuum cleaner in the UK as it was old and I didn't fancy the thorough cleaning you have to do to it before shipping.

We did bring our Miele front loading washing machine and tumble drier, or at least they are on their way in the container somewhere.

The problem is going to be if any of them ever breaks down because I'm not sure they sell them over here, I've not seen them anywhere and spare parts will simply not be available.

That's something to consider too.

Dan
MOST miele products are available in oz, when shipping front loaders make sure the tie down rods are inserted, [correctly get,the pro,s to do it if your not tech minded]as the bowls are surrounded by concrete blocks .ihave seen machines that have totally self destructed........MM
Old Apr 21st 2003, 1:58 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mandyisere
If you take your own sheets and duvet covers will they fit the beds in Oz?
Mandy
Most bed sizes in oz are pretty standard std double 4'6x6,..queensize 5'6x6' king size 6'x'6 alot of divan bases are fixed not hinged like some UK ,bases we get to deliver.king size bases are normally 2x3'x6' bases sideby side.....MM