Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What a brilliant idea!!

What a brilliant idea!!

Old May 8th 2009, 11:58 am

Howard Jenings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What a brilliant idea!!

Our ANZ bank in Geraldton has just opened a new branch and it has a drive through cash machine, what a brilliant idea. Now we don't have to get the kids out of the car when we need to get some cash out!!
Old May 8th 2009, 12:05 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What a brilliant idea!!

one more 'brilliant' idea the ozzies stole from the yanks...
Old May 8th 2009, 12:11 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMC
I was going to say something along similar lines. They were all over the place when I lived in Canada.
Old May 8th 2009, 12:24 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by northernbird
I was going to say something along similar lines. They were all over the place when I lived in Canada.
Yep, they're still all over the place in Canada. I used to love it, especially in the winter when it's -30!

The other thing I miss is being able to pay at the pump for petrol. I hate dragging the kids in the store so I almost always get petrol when they're not with me. So far I've only found one place (15 minute drive away) that you can swipe your credit card at the pump. I really wish more petrol stations would make pay at the pump available. In Canada almost all the main petrol stations you could swipe your card at the pump.

We even went one step further in Canada with the speedpass. You didn't even need to bring out your credit cards to pay at the pump. I just had a small little thing attached the keychain that you could touch to a pad on the pump, once you touched it they would bill you for the purchase. So you just needed your keys handy to get petrol.

https://www.speedpass.com/forms/frmH...x?pgHeader=how

I still find it odd that the keypads at the drive through bank machines have braille on them, definitely no need for them in that situation. I assume they're just standard keys though.
Old May 8th 2009, 12:36 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Does that mean that no country is allowed to use an idea that came from another country? Stole seems a bit OTT, I'm sure the North Americans still have it
Old May 8th 2009, 12:40 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

How long before the Americans invent the drive through colostomy therefore rendering toilet breaks a thing of the past ...

Old May 8th 2009, 12:46 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

They've had them in South Africa for about 20 years. I wish if they were here in the UK too.
Old May 8th 2009, 12:49 pm
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Does that mean that no country is allowed to use an idea that came from another country? Stole seems a bit OTT, I'm sure the North Americans still have it
NZ had a classic advert for an insurance company where they claimed that Aussies 'stole' lots of kiwiana called 'they're always stealing your stuff NZ'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo4xcIETcvo

'Stole' is a bit of a mickey take phrase.
Old May 8th 2009, 12:54 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spellbound
'Stole' is a bit of a mickey take phrase.
There was a at the end of my comment
Old May 8th 2009, 12:58 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

There has been a drive thru cash machine near our old place in Sydney for at least 5yrs, so not new to Aus at all.
Old May 8th 2009, 1:00 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

The only drawback () with drive-thrus is the assumption that it's the driver who has the money
Old May 8th 2009, 1:19 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
The other thing I miss is being able to pay at the pump for petrol. I hate dragging the kids in the store so I almost always get petrol when they're not with me. So far I've only found one place (15 minute drive away) that you can swipe your credit card at the pump. I really wish more petrol stations would make pay at the pump available. In Canada almost all the main petrol stations you could swipe your card at the pump.

I have only seen them at Mobil servos here.

Originally Posted by comet555
I still find it odd that the keypads at the drive through bank machines have braille on them, definitely no need for them in that situation. I assume they're just standard keys though.
I will assume that the keypads are generic (designed by law for all ATM's) and the cost of producing non-braille keypads specifically for the drive thru ATM's would make it impractical.
Old May 8th 2009, 1:22 pm

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

How many brilliant Australian inventions/ideas have been stolen/appropriated by the Yanks. Quite a few more, me thinks......
Old May 8th 2009, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by paulry
The only drawback () with drive-thrus is the assumption that it's the driver who has the money
The next thing they'll have a drive thru bank robber?
Old May 8th 2009, 11:36 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Bloke
I have only seen them at Mobil servos here.
Yep, it was a Mobil.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.