Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is a Bogan?

What is a Bogan?

Old Jun 16th 2007, 9:20 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What is a Bogan?

Bogans,Ferals,Hoons theyre all Chavs or Neds here.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Fenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura about

According to the www.bogan.com.au

Choice in music. The bogan prefers either metal or pub rock. A bogan would suggest that the song Khe Sanh by Cold Chisel would be a more appropriate national anthem than Advance Australia Fair. AC/DC is also a popular choice. Anything Barnesy. Midnight Oil is another classic example of the bogan genre.

Not thats there anything wrong with the Oils and Barnsey!

Last edited by Fenton; Jun 16th 2007 at 10:33 am.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I think Bogans are not so much lower classes, but a sort of underclass or type that is particularly deserving of derision. ''Chavs" are easy to point the finger at. They seem worse than the shell-suits I recall from my teenage years.

After all, there are plenty of people proud to be working class.

When people say that Australia is classless what they mean I think is that it is less entrenched, and that people from different ''classes'' by and large have similar interests in a way that frankly people in Europe don't.

Depends on what you mean by class,too, job classification, educational attainment, money.

You can be posh and poor, or have loads of money but still be culturally poor.

It's all relative.

cheers
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smoggieswilltravel
I believe a 'bogan' is worse than a chave if that's possible, don't know what they do to get the title but I think its a term the kids use more.
I'd say that Chavs are far worse than Bogans. Chav is a sort of description for a particular type of person, bogan is more generic. It's quite possible you could be 'country' and be called Bogan (unfairly) in the way people get called provincial in the UK.

I'd also say that Hoon is applied particularly to a young bloke (lets's face it almost certainly a driver) behaving like a lout. Another specific description. Noun used interchangeably as an adjective.

You don't chav or bogan around.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:52 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LauraC
I have seen a number of posts referring to 'bogans'. What are they? Are they like chavs?
iritants residing mainly in the nostril cavities. Best flicked at passing

Estate Agents
Parking officers
Council officials
Drink Drivers
American tourists

Also known under alias "Politican-uranusor"
Old Jun 16th 2007, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really nice

I see. Thanks everyone, very educational. I can't say I saw any bogans when I was last in Oz but maybe I will when I go back as I know what to look for!