Reload this Page >

what is Autralia Like

what is Autralia Like

Old Jan 20th 2003, 9:32 am
Just Joined

sheila mallen is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Hi Roger
Australia is a wonderful country we have been here 12yrs,so we know what we are talking about,we live in South Australia ( Adelaide)we are the driest continent and the driest state in the driest country in the world,and this is a true fact.Our climate is good although it can be hot 40c in Jan and Feb but not every day,it does get quite cool in the Winter June - August but thank god not like the UK.We have 4 Seasons here which is differerent to Queensland which only has wet and dry.Where are you thinking of settling if you come here?Send me an email and I will try to answer some of your questions.Don`t take any notice of people that don`t know what they are talking about.Im new to this so I don`t know if you have access to my email address,but you can email me on SR_mallen @hotmail.com

Best Wishes
Sheila
Old Jan 21st 2003, 2:32 am
Just Joined

Malcy is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Good on ya Sheila

Originally posted by sheila mallen
Hi Roger
Australia is a wonderful country we have been here 12yrs,so we know what we are talking about,we live in South Australia ( Adelaide)we are the driest continent and the driest state in the driest country in the world,and this is a true fact.Our climate is good although it can be hot 40c in Jan and Feb but not every day,it does get quite cool in the Winter June - August but thank god not like the UK.We have 4 Seasons here which is differerent to Queensland which only has wet and dry.Where are you thinking of settling if you come here?Send me an email and I will try to answer some of your questions.Don`t take any notice of people that don`t know what they are talking about.Im new to this so I don`t know if you have access to my email address,but you can email me on SR_mallen @hotmail.com

Best Wishes
Sheila
Hi Sheila. I've been here 34yrs and it's the best thing I ever did and Adelaide is a great place to live, clean, relaxing, and good climate. I'm with the Meet & Greet Volunteers and have a great job meeting some of the new arrivals and helping them out with all the government stuff. I just pity the poor sods who believe some of the rubbish what comes on here. ozzy, ozzy, ozzy, oyoyoy. The place to be.
Old Jan 21st 2003, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

colind is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Herman
And PB, we are helping an American client of ours to buy another Aussie company. Obviously confidential but watch the press in January - another large and supposedly proud Australian business cashes in for a fistful of US$.
Is that the one that was announced at the back end of last week, Herman?
Old Jan 30th 2003, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

madmancunian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 30 useful pointers to surviving Australia

1. All Aussies think this is the best country on earth.
2. The shorter the nickname, the more they like you.
3. Whether it's the opening of Parliament, or the launch of a new art gallery, there is no Australian event that cannot be improved by a sausage sizzle.
4. If the bloke next to you is swearing like a wharfie, he's probably a media billionaire. Or on the other hand, he may be a wharfie.
5. There is no food that cannot be improved by the application of tomato sauce.
6. On the beach, all Australians hide their keys and wallets by placing them inside their sandshoes. No thief has ever worked this out.
7. Industrial / household design knows of no article more useful than the plastic milk crate.
8. All our best heroes are losers.
9. The alpha male in any group is he who takes the barbecue tongs from the hands of the host and starts turning the sausages.
10. It's not summer until the steering wheel is too hot to hold.
11. A thong is not a piece of scanty swimwear, as in America, but a fine example of Australian footwear. A group of sheilas wearing black rubber thongs may not be as exciting as you had hoped.
12. It is proper to refer to your best friend as "a total bastard". By contrast, your worst enemy is "a bit of a bastard".
13. Historians believe the widespread use of the word "mate" can be traced to the harsh conditions on the Australian frontier in the 1890s, and the development of a code of mutual aid, or "mateship". Alternatively, Australians may just be really hopeless with names.
14. The wise Aussie chooses a partner who is attractive not only to themselves, but also to mosquitoes.
15. If it can't be fixed with pantyhose and fencing wire, it's not worth fixing.
16. The most popular and widely praised family in any street is the one that has the swimming pool.
17. It's considered better to be down on your luck than up yourself.
18. The phrase "we've got a great lifestyle" means everyone in the family drinks too much.
19. If invited to a party, you should take cheap red wine and then spend all night drinking the host's beer. (Don't worry, they'll have catered for it).
20. If there is any sort of free event or party within a hundred kilometres, you'd be a mug not to go.
21. The phrase "a simple picnic" is not known. You should take everything you own.
22. You are not permitted to sit down in your front yard, or on your front porch. Pottering about, gardening or leaning on the fence is quite acceptable, but don't sit. That's what backyards are for.
23. The tarred road ends just after the house of the local mayor.
24. On picnics, the Esky is always too small, creating a food versus grog battle that can only be resolved by leaving the salad at home.
25. When on a country road, the neon sign advertising the motel's pool will always be slightly larger than the pool itself.
26. Aussie men are tough, but the women are tougher.
27. The chief test of manhood is one's ability to install a beach umbrella in high winds.
28. Australians love new technology. Years after their introduction, most conversations on mobile phones are principally about the fact that the call is "being made on my mobile".
29. There comes a time in every Australian's life when he/she realises that the Aerogard is worse than the flies.
30. And, finally, don't let the tourist books fool you. No-one EVER says "cobber" to anyone ... EVER! They also don't have the bit about the true test for immigration to Australia. They give potential new Aussies the following test: Mow a sloping lawn (at least 20 degree angle) in a pair of thongs holding a VB while watching the cricket. If you can't pass that chances are you will never be able to pass yourself off as a true Aussie.

Viva Australia!

MM
Old Jan 30th 2003, 12:04 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 30 useful pointers to surviving Australia

Originally posted by madmancunian
3. Whether it's the opening of Parliament, or the launch of a new art gallery, there is no Australian event that cannot be improved by a sausage sizzle.
4. If the bloke next to you is swearing like a wharfie, he's probably a media billionaire. Or on the other hand, he may be a wharfie.
6. On the beach, all Australians hide their keys and wallets by placing them inside their sandshoes. No thief has ever worked this out.
7. Industrial / household design knows of no article more useful than the plastic milk crate.
9. The alpha male in any group is he who takes the barbecue tongs from the hands of the host and starts turning the sausages.
11. A thong is not a piece of scanty swimwear, as in America, but a fine example of Australian footwear. A group of sheilas wearing black rubber thongs may not be as exciting as you had hoped.
12. It is proper to refer to your best friend as "a total bastard". By contrast, your worst enemy is "a bit of a bastard".
13. Historians believe the widespread use of the word "mate" can be traced to the harsh conditions on the Australian frontier in the 1890s, and the development of a code of mutual aid, or "mateship". Alternatively, Australians may just be really hopeless with names.
14. The wise Aussie chooses a partner who is attractive not only to themselves, but also to mosquitoes.
15. If it can't be fixed with pantyhose and fencing wire, it's not worth fixing.
16. The most popular and widely praised family in any street is the one that has the swimming pool.
18. The phrase "we've got a great lifestyle" means everyone in the family drinks too much.
19. If invited to a party, you should take cheap red wine and then spend all night drinking the host's beer. (Don't worry, they'll have catered for it).
20. If there is any sort of free event or party within a hundred kilometres, you'd be a mug not to go.
21. The phrase "a simple picnic" is not known. You should take everything you own.
22. You are not permitted to sit down in your front yard, or on your front porch. Pottering about, gardening or leaning on the fence is quite acceptable, but don't sit. That's what backyards are for.
24. On picnics, the Esky is always too small, creating a food versus grog battle that can only be resolved by leaving the salad at home.
25. When on a country road, the neon sign advertising the motel's pool will always be slightly larger than the pool itself.
27. The chief test of manhood is one's ability to install a beach umbrella in high winds.
28. Australians love new technology. Years after their introduction, most conversations on mobile phones are principally about the fact that the call is "being made on my mobile".
29. There comes a time in every Australian's life when he/she realises that the Aerogard is worse than the flies.
30. And, finally, don't let the tourist books fool you. No-one EVER says "cobber" to anyone ... EVER! They also don't have the bit about the true test for immigration to Australia. They give potential new Aussies the following test: Mow a sloping lawn (at least 20 degree angle) in a pair of thongs holding a VB while watching the cricket. If you can't pass that chances are you will never be able to pass yourself off as a true Aussie.

Viva Australia!

MM
Welcome back mad one , god was it getting boring around here .

Old Jan 30th 2003, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Welcome back mad one , god was it getting boring around here .

Thanks PB - I see from some of your posts you've mellowed a bit! Perhaps you're winding down before you leave to return to 'old blighty'.

Work pressures and a young family leaves me little time to engage in the jolly banter as often as I'd like (I've seen some daft comments on this forum but not had the time to respond).

I'll just keep popping in now and again.
MM
Old Jan 30th 2003, 12:52 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks PB - I see from some of your posts you've mellowed a bit! Perhaps you're winding down before you leave to return to 'old blighty'.

Work pressures and a young family leaves me little time to engage in the jolly banter as often as I'd like (I've seen some daft comments on this forum but not had the time to respond).

I'll just keep popping in now and again.
MM
Well I enjoy your banter god my days are boring, do not tell I am losing my street cred must try harder.
The daft comments are what makes this site worth reading , I find it a very amusing forum the deluded against the jaded , god forbid that we are all in agreement , maybe those that take the middle ground should be banned anyone for a poll?

Old Jan 30th 2003, 10:15 am
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Viva Australia!

MM
Excellent what a good laugh I have had MM, keep up the good work
Old Jan 31st 2003, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Default Speaking of downunder - this one's for the lasses

Originally posted by heading downunder 2002
Excellent what a good laugh I have had MM, keep up the good work
Thanks HeadingDownUnder- here's another (mostly for the ladies)....

Embarrassing story: In Sydney, one of the radio stations paid money ($1000 - $5000) for people to tell their most embarrassing stories: This one netted the winner $5000.

I was due later that week for an appointment with the gynaecologist. Early one morning I received a call from his office to say I had been rescheduled for early that morning at 9.30am. I had only just packed everyone off to work and school and it was around 8.45am already. The trip to his office usually took about 35 minutes, so I didn't have any time to spare.

As most women do, I'm sure, I like to take a little extra effort over
hygiene when making such visits, but this time I wasn't going to be able to make the full effort. So I rushed upstairs , threw off my dressing grown , wet the washcloth and gave myself a wash in "that area" in front of the sink, taking extra care to make sure I was presentable. I threw the washcloth in the clothes basket, donned some clothes, hopped in the car and raced to my appointment.

I was in the waiting room only a few minutes before he called me in. Knowing the procedure, as I'm sure you do, I hopped up on the table, looked over at the other side of the room and pretended I was in Cairns or some other place a million miles away from here. I was a little surprised when he said "My, we have taken a little extra effort this morning haven't we?" but
I didn't respond.

The appointment was over, I heaved a sigh of relief and went home. The rest of the day was normal, some shopping, cleaning and cooking etc. After school my six year old daughter was playing and she called out from the bathroom, "Mum, where's my washcloth?" I called back for her to get another one from the cupboard. She called back, "No I need the one that was here by the sink. It had all my glitter and sparkles in it."

True story.

MM
Old Jan 31st 2003, 7:55 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

MM

Brilliant!! Thanks for giving me a chuckle on getting into the office!

Nicstids
Old Jan 31st 2003, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

and i thought that 'all that glitters is not gold ' ;-)

cheers

richard
Old Jan 31st 2003, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Peanuts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Say something nice

Hello everyone,

Newbee - I've been following this thread with interest and I've found it entertaining and informative - still I'm somewhat nervous about the prospect of moving to Australia (Brisbane) and would like to hear some NICE things about life over there - okay, I understand the weathers good, the life style slower and more relaxed and they have beaches, hardly 30... what about 30 great things about life in Australia? Just a thought... hmm can't actually think of 30 great things about living in London (home town) and certainly can't think of 30 for Paris (adopted home - maybe 29 great cheeses and you get to wear black 365 days a year and not appear strange?! dunno...) anyway, you guys seem to be 'experts' so how about it?
Old Feb 1st 2003, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Goose is an unknown quantity at this point

peanuts, you cannnot think of 30 good things about Paris?

Whew! How about it being the most beautiful city in the world for starters?

If your adoptive home (Paris) doesn't inspire you then I doubt Brisbane will. Don't get me wrong, Brisbane is nice. There is nothing too wrong with it...but no comparison to Paris (in my mind).

Good luck.
Old Feb 2nd 2003, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

dpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Goose
peanuts, you cannnot think of 30 good things about Paris?

Whew! How about it being the most beautiful city in the world for starters?

If your adoptive home (Paris) doesn't inspire you then I doubt Brisbane will. Don't get me wrong, Brisbane is nice. There is nothing too wrong with it...but no comparison to Paris (in my mind).

Good luck.
Well - I'd say that Cape Town was the most beautiful city in the world. Vive la difference!!

You could probably think of 30 good things about anywhere if you tried hard enough. Its the variability and the fact that what we each think is good may be less good or even bad for others e.g. PB would probably disagree with my list of a dozen 'good things' and bad things about Perth.

Positives:
1. Friendly people
2. Clean city
3. Low crime rate (Or rather low violent crime rate cf to previous experiences)
4. Lower cost of living (for us)
5. Good work for self (sports physio)
6. Good weather
7. Good beaches, open spaces, parks, walking,running, cycling paths
8. Aussie wine from Margaret River/SA
9 The Swan River
10 Minimal traffic problems allowing for 'stress free' travel wrt arrival times.
11. Great outdoor cinemas showing fringe/non commercial/art house movies.
12 Fresh fruit, veges, fish and Aussie wine

Negatives:
1.. Poor standard of media, especially news (TV, newspapers etc)
2. Isolated (Not a real problem for us but we do 'miss' popping across to France)
3. No close family - have been living miles apart for years so nothing changed in this regard. However if you're coming directly from the UK and have never been away before this may take some 'adjusting' to.
4. Dodgy politicians - well they are the world over but I'd have to say UK politicians are probably more likely to resign when caught with their hands in the cookie jar.
5. Certain elements of the population are extremely parochial/insular - probably goes with the isolation bit. However there are also plenty of extremely well-educated, travelled, knowledgeable types around
6. Minimal Rugby Union, too much aerial ping-pong (Aussie Rules)
7. Beer - the less said the better. Actually there are a few good ones but the choice is limited

probably a few more points, nothing springs to mind immediately.

DPR
Old Feb 2nd 2003, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Goose is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with you that Cape Town is (from a visual point of view) one of the most beautiful cities in the world...that awesome mountain is omni-present.

Visually, it competes with Sydney, San Fransisco and Vancouver and (I think) still comes in behind at least two of those cities.

But from a cultural and historic point of view, conbined with a visually beautiful and vivaciously and exciting point of view, I think Paris beats any city in the world.

Perth is nice for the reasons you suggest.