British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   what is Autralia Like (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-autralia-like-118953/)

Roger Miller Nov 25th 2002 1:11 pm

what is Australia Like

My wife and young family are thinking of emmigrating to Oz (not sure which part yet) and we would like some information from both people who have already emmigrated and the local community as to what they think of Oz. The sort of information we would like is............................
What is life like in general out there, is it fast like London or more relaxed? What are the schools like? What is the Health service like and how does that work there? What are house prices like? Do you have a lot of illegal immigrants? (we have so many now trying to take over, and seem to be suceeding). What is travelling to work like each day? And anything that you think would be of interest to someone who is thinking of living there. We are intending to come over for a holiday first to see what is like for ourselves but any info would be much appreciated.

Thank you all

mashiraz Nov 25th 2002 5:43 pm

Re: what is Australia Like

It's a big place, and each bit is different...so your question is difficult to answer...

Get a few guide books, identify why you are going, what you want to be doing when you get there and that will help identify where you should head. Opportunities differ in different areas, climate is different, costs are different, pace is different. What do you want...

Good luck though..
Mash..

PS Where are you on the process of getting a visa (minor point, I know)

Originally posted by Roger Miller
My wife and young family are thinking of emmigrating to Oz (not sure which part yet) and we would like some information from both people who have already emmigrated and the local community as to what they think of Oz. The sort of information we would like is............................
What is life like in general out there, is it fast like London or more relaxed? What are the schools like? What is the Health service like and how does that work there? What are house prices like? Do you have a lot of illegal immigrants? (we have so many now trying to take over, and seem to be suceeding). What is travelling to work like each day? And anything that you think would be of interest to someone who is thinking of living there. We are intending to come over for a holiday first to see what is like for ourselves but any info would be much appreciated.

Thank you all

pommiesheila Nov 25th 2002 10:54 pm

Thank you all

I can speak only of Brisbane, Queensland. The climate is fantastic from April-November, a little hot for some the rest of the time. Humidity can be very draining.

London it ain't. Things happen very, very slowly here (except on the roads) if at all. It is nigh on impossible to get people to shift up a gear - they're all so laid back, it becomes very irritating after a while, especially if you're trying to run a business.

Traffic problems - haven't come across too many, although hubbie says driving in "rush hour" here is pretty bad. Depends how far away you live from work I suppose...

Education-wise, if you compare like for like (i.e. a good state school in england with a good state school in Oz) the standards are lower - the attitude is again so laid back - "if the kids are happy, that's Ok - don't stretch them" etc. (My kids love it... unfortunately I do fear that they are falling behind their English peers). University here is a very much more "closed" affair than in the UK and a great deal more expensive.

Where we live there is always somewhere to go as a family at weekends (and the weather to do it), which for us has been a big bonus.
The scenery is fantastic - coast, countryside, there is such diversity within an hour or two's drive of home.

The health service seems Ok - I have only used it twice, both for non-emergency reasons, and both times I was satisfied with the service from the GP. It is more expensive though, you only get a % of the fees back from Medicare, and many surgeries are now refusing to "bulk bill".

A friend of mine went to the local A&E dept. last Sunday at 5.00 p.m and wasn't seen until 11.00 p.m. - although in fairness to the hospital, it wasn't life-threatening.

Wages are very, very poor here - the thing we have been most surprised about is the economic situation in Queensland - everyone is out to save a cent if they can, it's a total "Car Boot Sale" mentality!!!

Standard of living-wise, we are certainly worse off than in the Uk, but that's not why we came. Life-style wise, we are better off. It's great to see the children swimming in the pool when they come home from school instead of being stuck inside watching the TV, and as I mentioned earlier, it's great to be able to enjoy the weekends as a family.

However, it's all a matter of personal taste and personal priorities - I do miss friends and family in the UK, and the British people - their depth of character (not something I've discovered in the average Aussie), their sense of humour, etc. It's a hell of a long way from the UK - not just in terms of miles...

Ceri Nov 26th 2002 2:55 am

Thank you all

Health service is poor... I've had a bad experience with them. I was rushed into hospital after seeing 3 different Gp's who would not take a blind bit of notice of me. My partner had to carry me into the fourth one, I could not walk, in that much pain. He took one look at me, basically told me off for not coming to him sooner (I had to explain to him that he was the 4th doctor I'd been to), he then told me that I should have screamed and shouted to get myself heard, he himself couldn't believe the other doctors inadequacy... He sent me straight to hospital, not even letting me go home to pick up some belongings!.. 2 operations ,one skin graft and four weeks in hospital - nearly losing my leg.. just because of 3 bad doctors!

The public health care here is rubbish! If you come out here, make sure you get private health insurance straight away, just in case of emergencies.. I made the mistake of not doing this... and paid for it by nearly losing my leg.... I'm still very angry at this, the way I was treated. perhaps not all doctors are like this.. but I sure found three of them in a row! And the Hospital I stayed in Brisbane(The Mater) .. very poor - run down, under staffed.. it was awful.

Cheers:)

pommie bastard Nov 26th 2002 3:27 am

Thank you all

Look the only thing Australia has in some parts is better weather, the things that make the news in the UK are just the same here .
Health here is more expensive , schools less than average unless you pay and wage levels are very poor.
Housing is cheaper depending on where you want to live , its a case of if you are not doing too well in UK the grass is no greener here and you will work longer for less.

:D :cool: :beer:

dpr21 Nov 26th 2002 6:11 am

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Look the only thing Australia has in some parts is better weather, the things that make the news in the UK are just the same here .
Health here is more expensive , schools less than average unless you pay and wage levels are very poor.
Housing is cheaper depending on where you want to live , its a case of if you are not doing too well in UK the grass is no greener here and you will work longer for less.

Remember this forum is a minuscule, self-selected sample and not at all truly representative. There are those, like PB, who clearly are aggrieved at actual and/or perceived Oz problems. Others, think Oz is Nirvana (PB's "dreamers") and yet others, myself included (I hope), who whilst knowing that Oz may not be perfect, think it is the place where we are most likely to fulfil our needs and aspirations.

DPR

pommie bastard Nov 26th 2002 6:59 am

Originally posted by dpr21
Remember this forum is a minuscule, self-selected sample and not at all truly representative. There are those, like PB, who clearly are aggrieved at actual and/or perceived Oz problems. Others, think Oz is Nirvana (PB's "dreamers") and yet others, myself included (I hope), who whilst knowing that Oz may not be perfect, think it is the place where we are most likely to fulfil our needs and aspirations.

DPR

Well said Sir no idea what you saying but it does look good on paper ,all what you have pointed to can be done anywhere?

madmancunian Nov 26th 2002 7:32 am

Hi Roger,

First a bit of quick advice...

Under no circumstances read any reports by OECD, UNESCO, UNICEF or WHO or other agencies when trying to compare the UK lifestyle to an Oz. They are just full of rubbish. It's much better to read the posts from the true *experts* of Oz of this forum. Already, I've learned the following:

a) The weather is not better - it either rains so hard your car will get washed away, or the 'mercury' will rise to 40 or 50 C, and the humity will top 150% and that's just in winter. So bring your sou'westers and factor 20000+ sun-cream.

b) There is virtually no work in Oz whatsoever - most people that claim that they have a job in Oz are lying - they are all on the dole and they're trying to hide their embarrasment of living is such a terrible country. So make sure you bring enough money to live on till you die.

c) No-one ever speaks to POMS politely - they just laugh at you and ask you the latest cricket score. Make sure you learn how to punch someones lights out cos that's the only way to get an Aussie to stop and listen to you.

d) If you do land a job (by some miracle) - the wages are so low you won't be able to afford the bus fare to and from work.

e) All kids sit around all day at school doing no work - they discuss f)

f) All kids become 'hoons' at night - drag racing their Nissan Micras four-breast down small residential streets. If they stop it will be to break into a house to steal all the drugs.

g) Secretly everyone (including the Oz prime minister) wants to be British.

If I discover any more facts I will be first to let you know...

Hoorah!

mashiraz Nov 26th 2002 8:54 am

Roger asked a simple question and you have hijacked the whole thread with negativity. Yes you shouldn't all brainwash him with the rose tinted view but give the guy a chance to make his own mind up.

Mash...

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by madmancunian
Hi Roger,

Santa Nov 26th 2002 12:27 pm

Hi Roger,

Bill Bryson the Travel Writer wrote a book called 'Down Under', he talks in some depth about different areas of Australia, it's a funny book and informative.
Good Luck
Santa

ianduggan5 Nov 26th 2002 4:46 pm

ROFLMAO!

Madman please don't stop!

Try working on the conspiracy theory that the whingers are part of an anti-immigration group set up by natives who do not want any more immigrants. Got to be worth a troll or two!

suebo Nov 26th 2002 9:56 pm

Originally posted by madmancunian
Hi Roger,

Under no circumstances read any reports by OECD, UNESCO, UNICEF or WHO or other agencies when trying to compare the UK lifestyle to an Oz. They are just full of rubbish. It's much better to read the posts from the true *experts* of Oz of this forum. Already, I've learned the following:

a) The weather is not better - it either rains so hard your car will get washed away, or the 'mercury' will rise to 40 or 50 C, and the humity will top 150% and that's just in winter. So bring your sou'westers and factor 20000+ sun-cream.

b) There is virtually no work in Oz whatsoever - most people that claim that they have a job in Oz are lying - they are all on the dole and they're trying to hide their embarrasment of living is such a terrible country. So make sure you bring enough money to live on till you die.

c) No-one ever speaks to POMS politely - they just laugh at you and ask you the latest cricket score. Make sure you learn how to punch someones lights out cos that's the only way to get an Aussie to stop and listen to you.

d) If you do land a job (by some miracle) - the wages are so low you won't be able to afford the bus fare to and from work.

e) All kids sit around all day at school doing no work - they discuss f)

f) All kids become 'hoons' at night - drag racing their Nissan Micras four-breast down small residential streets. If they stop it will be to break into a house to steal all the drugs.

g) Secretly everyone (including the Oz prime minister) wants to be British.

If I discover any more facts I will be first to let you know...

Hoorah!

madmancunian
Where did you get your "facts" from, retrieve them from the sewer did you???

I have nothing against Brits, but have no desire to be one.
What you have stated is utter cr@p.

suebo Nov 26th 2002 10:07 pm

Roger, it all depends on where you move to, so can't really generalise. All states have different climates and different paces. Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane are more expensive to live in than Perth, Adelaide and Darwin. Not really sure of Tassie and Canberra.
Travelling to work depends on where you are working and where you are living. Public transportation is pretty good.

Everyone has different opinions on what Australia is like, some love it some don't. It is up to the individual. Come with an open mind and find out how you fell about it yourself :)

Most importantly IGNORE posts by some tossers that say that Aussies hate Brits, it is total rubbish. If people are posting messages like that, it is them that have the problem not the Aussies. They should take a long hard look as to why they are being ignored or whatever.......

colind Nov 26th 2002 10:34 pm

To be fair to madmancunian, I am sure he was attempting an ironic post in response to some of the negative posts occasionally found on this site...it seems it didn't translate too well for a couple of people!

Agree with suebo...Australia is what you make it. Choose your destination to fit in with the lifestyle you want. All capital cities are very different wrt climate, pace of life, cost of living and then you have the regional centres too for a much slower pace of life.

Example of disparity within one state: median house price in 27 of Sydney's 43 municipalities is $500K whereas median house price in Broken Hill, NSW is just $39K.

dpr21 Nov 26th 2002 10:37 pm

madmancunian

Clearly your irony/sarcasm has resulted in a serious 'lack of humour failure' for some - nice effort.