Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what is Autralia Like

what is Autralia Like

Old Dec 3rd 2002, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by pommie bastard
A loaf in Perth is $3.00 AUD whats different apart from the wages are half here , we are not making head way on our wage levels, I think you are out of touch with wages and prices in Australia its not as cheap as you seem to think.
I have only been gone 2 1/2 years and after travelling to other places I found it cheaper there. I guess we all have our own opinions With the wages I still know what some of my friends earn there and I know what hubby and I can earn as well. Oh well, after your experiences there, maybe one day you will look back and it won't seem that bad. I have done that with a couple of countries I have been to. Hated it while I was there, but looked back and it wasn't that bad after all. Maybe you should try a couple of other countries and then do a comparison.
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

I am currently looking up where Holdens originated on the web and can find bugger all!!!!!!! Gonna keep on keeping on
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

aussie bloke, get a life. I said it as a joke.......... sad sad sad
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Well they do make the most Hi-tech weapons in the world and the Space Shuttle is beyond any other country not to mention the Aero-space industries.
Where America Leads others follow including Australia no Yankies no Holden Cars , in fact they own 65% of all large Australian companies.

They probably purchased all the parts from Japan and got the spanish to assemble it
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by aussie bloke
dickheads still going on about bread !!
give us all a break and don't "drink and type" it turns into a useless forum about nothing.
and who asked you anyway. We are having a conversation here and you pipe in with a load of useless cr@p. If you have no relative input, well log off and leave us alone...tosser

I can drink and type and smoke at the same time...can't you do that??????? just use the fag on the key board. It may take longer, but you get there.
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 2:47 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by suebo
I am currently looking up where Holdens originated on the web and can find bugger all!!!!!!! Gonna keep on keeping on
1856 at the corner of King William and Rundle streets in Adelaide, James Alexander Holden established a saddlery and leather goods business.
Holden was a migrant who learned his trade in his home town of Walsall in Staffordshire, England. After a look at the new world of America and at the ripe old age of 20 he arrived in Adelaide.

General Motors Holden Limited was formed in March 1931 and Edward was appointed Chairman and A.N. Lawrence and Holden were Joint Managing Directors. The merger was not a happy one with both management and employees, it became clear that changes had to be made so Lawrence was sent elsewhere with most of his technical staff and Holden would give up the Managing Directorship and a new man who could understand the unique Australian situation and that man was Laurence Hartnett.

Hartnett being British not American was more than likely a contributing factor but the fact he was involved with Vauxhall Motors and Vickers in the U.K as well as for motor companies in India and Singapore was the reason. He took his new position at the head of GM-H in March 1934 and at once overhauled the top brass which helped to put the dealers at ease.
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

1856 at the corner of King William and Rundle streets in Adelaide, James Alexander Holden established a saddlery and leather goods business.
Holden was a migrant who learned his trade in his home town of Walsall in Staffordshire, England. After a look at the new world of America and at the ripe old age of 20 he arrived in Adelaide.

General Motors Holden Limited was formed in March 1931 and Edward was appointed Chairman and A.N. Lawrence and Holden were Joint Managing Directors. The merger was not a happy one with both management and employees, it became clear that changes had to be made so Lawrence was sent elsewhere with most of his technical staff and Holden would give up the Managing Directorship and a new man who could understand the unique Australian situation and that man was Laurence Hartnett.

Hartnett being British not American was more than likely a contributing factor but the fact he was involved with Vauxhall Motors and Vickers in the U.K as well as for motor companies in India and Singapore was the reason. He took his new position at the head of GM-H in March 1934 and at once overhauled the top brass which helped to put the dealers at ease.
Okay I found this...geeze PB I am gonna do a PB on this site, pleasssseeee help me

First Holden motor car comes off the assembly line. (1948).

Many Australians were very proud when Prime Minister Ben Chifley launched the first General Motors Holden car on 29 November 1948. At the time it was acclaimed as ‘Australia’s first car’. This 48/215 model was the first Australian car to be mass-produced in Australia. Although it was based on an American design, it contained 92% Australian components. It was manufactured in Victoria, providing jobs and helping to make cars more affordable for ordinary people. The 48/215 cost £675 plus tax, or a total of £733 to buy. Within four years, almost 30% of new cars bought in Australia were Holdens, making them the most popular new cars.

It was based on an American design....so what does that mean, did the Aussies copy a car from the yanks or what... Still, it don't tell me if there were holden cars driving about in other countries before hand. It says Australian Car, so what do you make of it??
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 3:02 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Okay I found this...geeze PB I am gonna do a PB on this site, pleasssseeee help me

First Holden motor car comes off the assembly line. (1948).

Many Australians were very proud when Prime Minister Ben Chifley launched the first General Motors Holden car on 29 November 1948. At the time it was acclaimed as ‘Australia’s first car’. This 48/215 model was the first Australian car to be mass-produced in Australia. Although it was based on an American design, it contained 92% Australian components. It was manufactured in Victoria, providing jobs and helping to make cars more affordable for ordinary people. The 48/215 cost £675 plus tax, or a total of £733 to buy. Within four years, almost 30% of new cars bought in Australia were Holdens, making them the most popular new cars.

It was based on an American design....so what does that mean, did the Aussies copy a car from the yanks or what... Still, it don't tell me if there were holden cars driving about in other countries before hand. It says Australian Car, so what do you make of it??
Being America owned at the time and a Yankie moter hardly makes it an Australian Car read my post Mr Holden was a Brit and the guy who set it up was also a Brit where were the Aussies sheep farming.

Old Dec 3rd 2002, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Being America owned at the time and a Yankie moter hardly makes it an Australian Car read my post Mr Holden was a Brit and the guy who set it up was also a Brit where were the Aussies sheep farming.

Don't matter where the guys came from, they said it was based on an american car. But was it called a Holden in America??. These guys may have migratds to OZ but they may have started a whole new company in Australia. It dont matter where the motor came from. If it is assembled in OZ it is australian. Just like I said about the space shuttle, where did the parts come from etc.

Was there a Holden car company in either USA or UK before Australia??
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 3:16 am
Banned

Don't matter where the guys came from, they said it was based on an american car. But was it called a Holden in America??. These guys may have migratds to OZ but they may have started a whole new company in Australia. It dont matter where the motor came from. If it is assembled in OZ it is australian. Just like I said about the space shuttle, where did the parts come from etc.

Was there a Holden car company in either USA or UK before Australia??
No it was the worlds biggest car maker and still is GM ,it was and still is an American company, using screw drivers to put together some one elses product hardly makes it Australian .In fact Holden has only just started exporting a few cars to America , total exports world wide only amounts to 28,000 cars small beer in world terms.
Having seen the Shuttle all work is done in USA as is most of Aero-Space work , low value goods and products are made in third world countries like Australia.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Dec 3rd 2002 at 3:25 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

No it was the worlds biggest car maker and still is GM ,it was and still is an American company, using screw drivers to put together some one elses product hardly makes it Australian .In fact Holden has only just started exporting a few cars to America , total exports world wide only amounts to 28,000 cars small beer in world terms.
Having seen the Shuttle all work is done in USA as is most of Aero-Space work , low value goods and products are made in third world countries like Australia.
You shit head, you had to put in that last line

I'd like to see you in Africa, what would you say then on you $10 a month salary and the wife working volunteer..he he
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 3:34 am
Banned

I'd like to see you in Africa, what would you say then on you $10 a month salary and the wife working volunteer..he he
Come on Sue you have a better sense of humour than that , I am sure a bit of banter will not hurt you as it does not me.Where do I sign up for Africa the natives here are are beyond our help?
:
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Funny it is an American company, because there are certainly no Holdens here. They are going to export the Monaro out of OZ soon to come to America So are you sure of what you are saying.

I know there were Brits involved and some Yanks, but where was it founded????? Like I said, was there a company called Holden in USA or UK before it was known that in OZ. IF there was not, then it is an Aussie based/founded company.... These guys may have come over and started a whole new company.

Does any one else have any input on this??? I want to find out the truth. THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!!
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

PB I will sign you up. How about ethiopia. Just watch the spears... I am sending them emails now - telling them where to aim
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 3:42 am
Banned

Funny it is an American company, because there are certainly no Holdens here. They are going to export the Monaro out of OZ soon to come to America So are you sure of what you are saying.

I know there were Brits involved and some Yanks, but where was it founded????? Like I said, was there a company called Holden in USA or UK before it was known that in OZ. IF there was not, then it is an Aussie based/founded company.... These guys may have come over and started a whole new company.

Does any one else have any input on this??? I want to find out the truth. THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!!

Read my post in was founded in Australia by a Brit , but no large scale car production until GM took it over , it was an American Car built by an American company in Australia.
Holden was the Brit guys name , as for the Monaro they are first ever Car made here to be exported to USA only 13000 are to be sent , these will be rebadged as Holden is not marketed in USA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.