Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is the Australian equivalent of an HND? Do employers ask?

What is the Australian equivalent of an HND? Do employers ask?

Old Aug 11th 2005, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

triple_eee is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What is the Australian equivalent of an HND? Do employers ask?

I will be moving within the next few months, so I am already looking at the job market and updating my CV. However, I am obviously aware that the education systems and qualifications are different from the UK, so how is this best explained on my CV and answered, when no doubt, asked by prospective employers, “so what exactly is an HND�.

I would imagine the best answer is to have an equivalent. I have read of the qualifaction recognition services……………

http://aei.dest.gov.au/AEI/Qualifica...on/default.htm

“Australian Education International (AEI), through the National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition (AEI-NOOSR), provides official information and advice on the comparability of overseas qualifications with Australian qualifications. This aims to help overseas qualified people work and study in Australia.�

Has anyone used this service? (about $300)

Is this a non concern……surely 10 years work experience post ed will be enough to get through the interview door.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future
Default Re: What is the Australian equivalent of an HND? Do employers ask?

I also have a HND, it is in electrical engineering. I always say it is the equivalent of an associate diploma. One word of warning/advice When i arrived in Oz 2 years ago i found it hard to get the same position i had in the UK (Engineering Manager) I had to take a job as a Maintenance Team Leader to start with. I dont know if this is just in Engineering/Manufacturing? The agencies and future employers always go on about local exp, handling unions etc etc. All i am trying to say to all people coming to Oz is not to expect to walk into the same position you had in the UK, its not all doom and gloom though You just need to gain the local exp for around 6 months and then start looking again. Just having local exp on your CV makes agencies and prospective employers look at you in a diferent light. I worked as a Maint T/L for 9 months and am now working somewhere else as Engineering Manager. So dont get to disheartened
Old Aug 12th 2005, 12:33 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

I assume being an HND it is issued by BTEC/EDExcel? If so do a search on www.google.com.au for Queensland AND Edexcel. One of the Universities in QLD has a tie up with edexcel and will probably be able to give you some good advice or even something in writing which will equate it to an Aussie qualification.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 12:37 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
Yes I was told yesterday that is is the equivalent to an AFQ - Advanced Diploma. The shitty thing for me is I have and AHND - Advanced Diploma - and the equivalent to get me into the country was a degree - but none of the skills recognition places have ever heard of this qualification, which means, in english - although it was good enough to get me into the country - it now means bugger all in tearms of equivalence! And yup - it will take a while to get where you were in UK - but worth the effort and then some!
Old Aug 12th 2005, 12:40 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

The Department of Employment and Training in the government - skills recognition training services will assess for free - but if you have complicated assesment you'll have to go to Noosa and pay lots.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

luvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wholeworldwindow
The Department of Employment and Training in the government - skills recognition training services will assess for free - but if you have complicated assesment you'll have to go to Noosa and pay lots.
Yep, my hubby just used this service for free - his HND Engineering came out as a Advanced Diploma.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about
Question Re: What is the Australian equivalent of an HND? Do employers ask?

could you please put on the website for this dept...have been trying to find it with no joy...i also have an HND (Social Sciences) and a dgree (Community Education) which i would like Oz equivalent
thankyou
Old Aug 12th 2005, 6:36 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

All I have is the details on the letter they wrote me - which was from the Brisbane North Regional office.

http:www.det.qld.gov.au

Tel: 1300 369 935

Hope that helps.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 6:44 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

P.S - i noticed your from Paisley (my hubbys family were from there). I'm from Edinburgh and apparently Scotland does it different! (to my dismay!)
I have 2xNC 2X HNC 1x HND and one Advanced HND - but they can not assess any of my quals because - Scotvec only issue the highest certificate and do not give certificates for the other quals - as they deem the highest to cancell out the lower quals. I have a list of modules achieved as long as my arm - 7 years at college - but they are worth bugger all as I only have a certificate for the highest achieved - an Advanced HND and as I said in a preivous post - they have no record of this qualification. I am just very lucky now that the main freelance area of work I do is a "who you know" industry. But I have found it hard getting a steady wage earner and only have one now after 3 months. So bring all your certificates if you were issued them - otherwise you may have a problem. It's hard enough getting work with out extra things to worry about!
Old Aug 12th 2005, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about
Red face Re: What is the Australian equivalent of an HND? Do employers ask?

P.S - i noticed your from Paisley (my hubbys family were from there). I'm from Edinburgh and apparently Scotland does it different! (to my dismay!)
I have 2xNC 2X HNC 1x HND and one Advanced HND - but they can not assess any of my quals because - Scotvec only issue the highest certificate and do not give certificates for the other quals - as they deem the highest to cancell out the lower quals. I have a list of modules achieved as long as my arm - 7 years at college - but they are worth bugger all as I only have a certificate for the highest achieved - an Advanced HND and as I said in a preivous post - they have no record of this qualification. I am just very lucky now that the main freelance area of work I do is a "who you know" industry. But I have found it hard getting a steady wage earner and only have one now after 3 months. So bring all your certificates if you were issued them - otherwise you may have a problem. It's hard enough getting work with out extra things to worry about!
cheers for that
i have managed to locate the govt.dept. unfortunately i will have to wait until i arrive in Oz before i cn get quals recognised...i hope they recognise my degree at least three years at edin.uni, after two years at further ed.college!!! arhhh!
Old Aug 13th 2005, 5:20 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by triple_eee
I will be moving within the next few months, so I am already looking at the job market and updating my CV. However, I am obviously aware that the education systems and qualifications are different from the UK, so how is this best explained on my CV and answered, when no doubt, asked by prospective employers, “so what exactly is an HND�.

I would imagine the best answer is to have an equivalent. I have read of the qualifaction recognition services……………

http://aei.dest.gov.au/AEI/Qualifica...on/default.htm

“Australian Education International (AEI), through the National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition (AEI-NOOSR), provides official information and advice on the comparability of overseas qualifications with Australian qualifications. This aims to help overseas qualified people work and study in Australia.�

Has anyone used this service? (about $300)

Is this a non concern……surely 10 years work experience post ed will be enough to get through the interview door.
Nobody asked me about mine. They seemed to value experience over a bit of paper ... seemed fair to me 'cause, if yer trying to tot up points, etc for a Visa then it's a bit different.

I get the feeling that most employers don't even ask for the certficates these days ... well, the standard of management would indicate that anyway ...

<end bitter and twisted rant>
Old Aug 13th 2005, 9:43 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I too have found this whole qualification recognition thing to be a complete nightmare - I am a teacher here in the UK, but I did my teacher training at a college of further Ed instead of a Uni, and guess what... yup, that's not acceptable, and there's absolutely nothing I can do about it either.

Nobody here seems to really care, and no courses exist to make up the difference, unless I enrol in an Aussie Uni and do a whole year of addition training, which will no doubt be exactly the same as I have already completed!

Doh!

S