Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What attracts u to oz/nz??

View Poll Results: Why move to oz, whats ur reason ?
Childrens future
23.44%
Beaches/sun
6.25%
Standard of living
28.13%
Need a fresh start
18.75%
Hell why not !
20.31%
Flora and Fauna
3.13%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

What attracts u to oz/nz??

Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:08 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by anglophile
Only the educated Kiwi or Ozzie will have those opportunities. The AVERAGE wage in NZ is less then $20,000 per year. To travel to Australia will cost you $500 and the rest. The average Kiwi would love to go abroad ie Australia but can't. A family friend took her daughter to England for a wedding. It cost them in the region of $10,000 to stay for 6 weeks. They are still paying for it 2 years later. Tell m the average Kiwi can do this.
not sure where you got your $20000 per year figure from - but (correct me if I'm wrong) I'll think you'll find that's a figure for all NZers aged 16 or over or something, so that is a little misleading. I posted some graphs and figures a while with some more useful figures (which are more than $20K), but can't be arsed to find them right now.

Oversea travel is expensive on the NZ dollar - no doubt about that.

Not true what you say about only the 'educated' aussie or kiwi having those opportunities. if by that you mean to high school level then you are correct. that is all you need, combined with hard work and the right attitude, to make it anywhere in the world you choose.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

In my book, " Opportunity" = giving yourself the chance.

Life is what you make it and nothing comes by sheer chance or opportunity, you make good luck for yourself and nothing else.

We expect nothing from Oz, except what we have grafted hard for and what we deserve in return for that hard work and forthought.

Sure, yeah, people work hard, people try and peoples perceptions of what is successful are different, but you get nothing for nothing in this world.

I expect a better life for our kids, because we have provided the beginnings of that for them, but Australia won't be the residing factor in that equation.

We see migrating as a reason to take up the reasons we have to live worldwidly (sp?) with our families in Oz, N.Z, Hong Kong etc and to show the kids that there is WAY more to the world than the uk.

The uk's not so bad, especially when you take a look at whats going on globally, it's just that we all want different things.

If you have kids, then the most you can do for them is to let them see that the world doesn't begin and end with John O'Groats and Lands End. Experience can make all the difference to everyones life and enrich it for the better.

Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

anglophile is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jandjuk
not sure where you got your $20000 per year figure from - but (correct me if I'm wrong) I'll think you'll find that's a figure for all NZers aged 16 or over or something, so that is a little misleading. I posted some graphs and figures a while with some more useful figures (which are more than $20K), but can't be arsed to find them right now.

Not true what you say about only the 'educated' aussie or kiwi having those opportunities. if by that you mean to high school level then you are correct. that is all you need, combined with hard work and the right attitude, to make it anywhere in the world you choose.
Summary

1. Income levels

The median annual income was $18,500 for the year ended 31 March 2001.
People in the Wellington region had the highest median annual income at $22,400.
The Wellington region had the highest portion of people earning an annual income of over $100,000, with 1 in 25 people.
The median income for males was $24,900 – more than $10,000 above that of $14,500 for females.
Males in the 40 to 44-year age group had the highest median income at $35,900.
The highest median income for females was in the 45 to 49-year age group at $22,000.
The $10,001–$15,000 income group was the most common, with 1 in 6 people (395,106).
The $30,001–$40,000 income group had 1 in 8 people (311,598).

Median Income
By Region
2. Income sources
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

True in what you say Jandjuk.

Hubs aunt, uncle, cousins etc have lived in NZ for 35 yrs plus ( most of them born there ).

A visit to the uk once every 5 yrs is the best they can do.

They have a fab life out there and are happy with their lot, but it's true that O.S travel costs and it's not something they can do on a whim.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by welshboybilly
who mentioned a 14 yr old?

multi........personality poster?

Huh, YOUR question to me is in the post where I ask about what a 14 year old does in OZ.

I ask that, then you reply so why did you come to OZ?

What are you saying that poster was not You
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:24 pm
WBB

Originally posted by dotty
Huh, YOUR question to me is in the post where I ask about what a 14 year old does in OZ.

I ask that, then you reply so why did you come to OZ?

What are you saying that poster was not You

oh forget it dotty.

Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by welshboybilly
oh forget it dotty.

Admission of your error would have looked better
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:28 pm
WBB

Originally posted by dotty
Admission of your error would have looked better
no error dotty, i asked you a question and you skirted around the answer with your usual "look at me, look how much money i have" answer.

as i said, forget it.

Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:30 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

well you conveniently left out the bit at the top of that page: "For the census usually resident population count aged 15 years and over." so school kids, uni students, retired people.....

also i think these figures include all part time work, as well as those on benefits etc. I guess as a blanket view of NZ income it is correct, but not particularly useful....

http://www.stats.govt.nz/domino/exte...a+Release?open

Summary

1. Income levels

The median annual income was $18,500 for the year ended 31 March 2001.
People in the Wellington region had the highest median annual income at $22,400.
The Wellington region had the highest portion of people earning an annual income of over $100,000, with 1 in 25 people.
The median income for males was $24,900 – more than $10,000 above that of $14,500 for females.
Males in the 40 to 44-year age group had the highest median income at $35,900.
The highest median income for females was in the 45 to 49-year age group at $22,000.
The $10,001–$15,000 income group was the most common, with 1 in 6 people (395,106).
The $30,001–$40,000 income group had 1 in 8 people (311,598).

Median Income
By Region
2. Income sources
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:31 pm
WBB

well you conveniently left out the bit at the top of that page: "For the census usually resident population count aged 15 years and over." so school kids, uni students, retired people.....

also i think these figures include all part time work, as well as those on benefits etc. I guess as a blanket view of NZ income it is correct, but not particularly useful....

and out of date.

Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

I trust you are not suggesting I would do anything underhand Jon.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:33 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

I trust you are not suggesting I would do anything underhand Jon.
of course I am
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

of course I am
LOL ...all in the name of balance
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

I do also believ you have every opportunity you want it is just up to you and what you make of it. [/QUOTE]

Totally agree with that, life is what YOU make it!
rach
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 11:48 pm
Badge

Originally posted by renth
Sounds like fun to me!

plus shagging loads of those stunning young Aussie sheilas.

exactly mate.

also, how about going to Australia because you like Aussies?

Badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Jan 22nd 2004 at 11:55 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.