British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What attracts u to oz/nz?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-attracts-u-oz-nz-204340/)

Timber Floor Au Jan 21st 2004 7:29 am

What attracts u to oz/nz??

What attracts you to australia or newzealand. please also state why !

Timber Floor Au Jan 21st 2004 7:31 am

Re: What attracts u to oz/nz??

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
What attracts you to australia or newzealand. please also state why !

Our reason , main one , is for the kids future...

nosuchluck Jan 21st 2004 7:49 am

just vote,
a bit of all of them really, relationship rock solid so don't need a fresh start in that respect! mainly because of our daughters future, what will she have to look forward to if we stay here? she's 11 and wants to do well here, she's very outdoorsy, loves swimming but i don't want her to spend all her life swimming in a sports centre if you know what i mean! i think her future and her outlook will be better in oz
nice post
regards
rach, mark and chanelle :D

tiredwithtwins Jan 21st 2004 7:54 am

like rach, a bit of all of them.
3 little kids who love playing outside...I love australia having visited a couple of times...like outdoor lifestyle....dont particularly like the uk (having lived around it)...friendlier people..ummm....oh, and because I can?

sue:D :D :D

steandleigh Jan 21st 2004 7:57 am

Ditto to all of the above, but mainly to broaden the kids horizons and to let them enjoy being well travelled.:)

Timber Floor Au Jan 21st 2004 10:08 am

WHATS YOUR MAIN RESON THOUGH !!!!

shedu Jan 21st 2004 10:55 am

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
WHATS YOUR MAIN RESON THOUGH !!!!
Can I have 2 main reasons please Timber Man??

Fresh start and just for the hell of it

bondipom Jan 21st 2004 10:59 am

Originally posted by steandleigh
Ditto to all of the above, but mainly to broaden the kids horizons and to let them enjoy being well travelled.:)
Why will your kids have broader horizons and be more travelled when they are 5 hours flight from the nearest country?

Why do people think their children have a better future in Australia? UK and Europe offer excellent education and a range of careers impossible to find down under.

downunderpom Jan 21st 2004 11:02 am

None of the above. :D

I've just come 'home', because 'home is where the heart is', and my heart's definitely here.

gwrees Jan 21st 2004 11:34 am

were going because, well, why not, were only here once, and I dont want to end up like my parents, i.e still here in 60 years not having been anywhere! Were Married now with a 4 year old and a baby due in May and need to give them a bit of a kickstart. Went to Perth last year for a bit , made so many friends We'd be letting ourselves down if we didnt try it. Even if we come back, it will be an experience for all of us.

dazuk Jan 21st 2004 11:48 am

Originally posted by bondipom
Why will your kids have broader horizons and be more travelled when they are 5 hours flight from the nearest country?

Why do people think their children have a better future in Australia? UK and Europe offer excellent education and a range of careers impossible to find down under.
So true BP, Aussies kids when they hit teenage years and wish to travel anywhere other than NZ will find it really hard financially due to the distance involved and the (usually) weak oz dallar to euro currencies. I am amazed at the attitude of poms that think goin to oz is doing it 4 the kids. A lots of Aussie kids are dead bored in non descript surburbs smoking tons of strong weed and enjoying doing burn outs in old holden commadores.

I met my wife, who is from the blue mts nr syd, when she was 19, like most aussies she had to borrow about 10000 dollars to get here(UK), luckly for her i paid off her debt with my uk pounds. I'm not bragging here, just stating the fact that oz is tough if you want to go else where.

Dont fool yourself that oz= contented little nuclear familly, I suggest you tour Western Sydney and check out the familly units there

anglophile Jan 21st 2004 4:52 pm

Precisely why we are returning to England!

WBB Jan 21st 2004 5:41 pm

Originally posted by anglophile
Precisely why we are returning to England!
one mans meat is another mans poison.

renth Jan 21st 2004 5:44 pm

Originally posted by dazuk
smoking tons of strong weed and enjoying doing burn outs in old holden commadores.
Sounds like fun to me!

plus shagging loads of those stunning young Aussie sheilas.

WBB Jan 21st 2004 5:51 pm

Why do people think their children have a better future in Australia?
for us personally it is because we live in a densely populated area full of heroin and teenage pregnancy and the biggest steelworks in the country kicking out the highest rate of pollution in the UK.

i know aussie has it's own problems but they are nowhere near the scale of the UK.

dont even get me started on the influx of eastern european illegals moving into the area and the jamican yardies patrolling the streets with intent.

give me a beach and a pair of rose tinted contact's anyday.