Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what is about rugby

Wikiposts

what is about rugby

Old Oct 13th 2003, 3:17 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

football still has a pretty big following in NZ. The breakfast host of the main sports radio station is football mad and hosts a show on Sky TV (well he did some years ago anyway).

Unlike the UK, where sometimes what sport you 'like' says all sorts of things about your background, most NZers will follow any sport going - and especially if there is a kiwi involved.

I would say you people don't like rugby because you've had to watch northern hemisphere rugby... and that's rubbish
Old Oct 13th 2003, 3:28 am
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jandjuk
football still has a pretty big following in NZ. The breakfast host of the main sports radio station is football mad and hosts a show on Sky TV (well he did some years ago anyway).

Unlike the UK, where sometimes what sport you 'like' says all sorts of things about your background, most NZers will follow any sport going - and especially if there is a kiwi involved.

I would say you people don't like rugby because you've had to watch northern hemisphere rugby... and that's rubbish
Ireland won
France won
Wales won
Scotland won
and of course England won

Yeah, Northern Hemisphere rugby is obviously very poor
Old Oct 13th 2003, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Assume for a minute that I'm fairly personable and easy to get along with.

In the UK I can find a fair number of guys who find televised teamsports leave them cold. We can blether about travel, cars, technique, girls etc etc etc ... just not bl**dy football or rugby (or hockey or water polo!)

How badly ostracised am I going to be on arrival in NSW???

Also, is it going to be worth pretending I like it to support my kid as it seems to be so important an aspect in Aussie social life? I don't know if I could pretend convincingly over the long haul. It's a serious question as a kid will be heavily influenced by how sporty a parent is and what sports they choose. I'm desperately trying not to display my skills at olympic pizza munching and keyboard clicking.

When I do get out, I prefer surfing any day. How are surfie kids regarded in Aussie life? Dole-bludging Goth wannabees? I hope not *sigh*
Old Oct 13th 2003, 8:54 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by CHnJ
Assume for a minute that I'm fairly personable and easy to get along with.

In the UK I can find a fair number of guys who find televised teamsports leave them cold. We can blether about travel, cars, technique, girls etc etc etc ... just not bl**dy football or rugby (or hockey or water polo!)

How badly ostracised am I going to be on arrival in NSW???

Also, is it going to be worth pretending I like it to support my kid as it seems to be so important an aspect in Aussie social life? I don't know if I could pretend convincingly over the long haul. It's a serious question as a kid will be heavily influenced by how sporty a parent is and what sports they choose. I'm desperately trying not to display my skills at olympic pizza munching and keyboard clicking.

When I do get out, I prefer surfing any day. How are surfie kids regarded in Aussie life? Dole-bludging Goth wannabees? I hope not *sigh*
OZ is Sport mad and in NSW Rugby League is king. You won't be ostracised as Aussies cannot agree what is football.

As for the kid just teaching him a sport he enjoys is important. He may want to go surfing or boogie boarding. The good news is there is coverage of suf comps in the news. I learned to surf last year and loved it. I am not a goth and I have not seen many surf goths though.

Surfing is just another sport here and unless you go for the lifestyle no one will bat an eyelid.

Sydney is about more than sport and there is plenty for the sportphobes as well.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 9:04 am

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of
Default Re: what is about rugby

Originally posted by arlene
if im honest cant stand the sport

seeing a load of 20 stone plus men going towards each other like exocet missles does nothing for me, (welsh by nature and by genes) so is it a genetic thing or a male female thing

am i alone or are there others

arlene

I am a Football convert and go to see the best RED team in england (have season tickets) but still have a love for Rugby. So was very pleased when my eldest wanted to joined the local Rugby club.

So come on the AB's
Old Oct 13th 2003, 9:47 am

Default Re: what is about rugby

Originally posted by cinderella
I am a Football convert and go to see the best RED team in england (have season tickets) but still have a love for Rugby. So was very pleased when my eldest wanted to joined the local Rugby club.

So come on the AB's
Leyton Orient are great!!!
Old Oct 13th 2003, 1:11 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Weren't you the one who said Canada would beat Wales in group D?? (p.s Wales41 - Canada10 )

Ahhh.

Can I ask what nationality you are. Why do you think they are rubbish... last time I looked England is ranked NUMBER ONE in the world, over N.Zealand and Aus (and last time I saw England play they beat Aus and N.zealand on their home turf)
I really hope this cup will be won by one of the home nations.. even if I have to force myself to support England (or France). I'm fed up of hearing here "aren't we the best ever, we are world champions" by the Aussies - very poor sportsmanship.. they are bad winners and bad losers, I don't know which is worst. Make no mistake the aussies are dying to see England fall flat on their faces. They hate to see England win at anything. It dosen't bother me as I'm not English.

Cheers

An edit here... no it wasn't you that said canada, I apologise for that.

Nothing worse than a turn coat. Take a lesson from the Welsh... support your team win or lose. "Heart"

Last edited by Ceri; Oct 13th 2003 at 4:50 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 1:15 pm

Originally posted by Ceri
Weren't you the one who said Canada would beat Wales in group D?? (p.s Wales41 - Canada10 )

Ahhh.

Can I ask what nationality you are. Why do you think they are rubbish... last time I looked England is ranked NUMBER ONE in the world, over N.Zealand and Aus (and last time I saw England play they beat Aus and N.zealand on their home turf)
I really hope this cup will be won by one of the home nations.. even if I have to force myself to support England (or France). I'm fed up of hearing here "aren't we the best ever, we are world champions" by the Aussies - very poor sportsmanship.. they are bad winners and bad losers, I don't know which is worst. Make no mistake the aussies are dying to see England fall flat on their faces. They hate to see England win at anything. It dosen't bother me as I'm not English.

Cheers
Colleagues are already knocking the meaning of the tournament because Oz played so badly on Friday.
I asked them what they thought of the Rugby League world cup and they soon shut up.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 1:31 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by bondipom
Colleagues are already knocking the meaning of the tournament because Oz played so badly on Friday.
I asked them what they thought of the Rugby League world cup and they soon shut up.
They are keeping quiet here too. I actually have one Aussie here in work supporting the Welsh..lol. I'm corrupting him. I can't get him to support England though... that's going a bit too far
Old Oct 13th 2003, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

Just how much rugby from the NH have you seen I wonder? Not a lot by the sound of it. You remind me of so many other Kiwis who are all rugby experts but couldn't tell you a thing about club/european rugby. Pathetic
Old Oct 13th 2003, 8:25 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a NZer.

Sorry I should have elaborated. I said NH rugby was rubbish because they historically play forward dominated rugby which is not that exciting to watch - which is why perhaps people do not find it so exciting.

But I should correct myself - South Africa are just as boring as the NH teams, and France can play with flair if they feel like. England has some exciting backs as well, but historically this has not been the case. Which is why some people perhaps haven't found it that thrilling to watch.

England may well win the World Cup, and Wilkinson will no doubt be the saviour (and NZ doesn't have a kicker so we'll probably lose). Frankly I'm not convinced either will reach the final as a matter of course.

Last edited by jandjuk; Oct 13th 2003 at 8:28 pm.