what is about rugby

Wikiposts

what is about rugby

Old Oct 12th 2003, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what is about rugby

if im honest cant stand the sport

seeing a load of 20 stone plus men going towards each other like exocet missles does nothing for me, (welsh by nature and by genes) so is it a genetic thing or a male female thing

am i alone or are there others

arlene
Old Oct 12th 2003, 6:40 am
Badge

Default Re: what is about rugby

titter. Those forwards aint pretty.

however the values and attitudes it teaches are a lot better than the prima donna selfish money obsessed values that soccer players seem to pick up. Makes it all worthwhile.

Article in a lot of national papers recently about how soccer in the UK is really going down hill.

badge

Old Oct 12th 2003, 6:50 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by arlene

seeing a load of 20 stone plus men going towards each other like exocet missles does nothing for me, (welsh by nature and by genes) so is it a genetic thing or a male female thing

arlene

myself and a couple of girlfriends lurve to watch rugby - miles better than poofy football!! Its very physical and is a great example of skilled teamwork. !!! My partners niece used to play rugby for the ladies English team, and she's very feminine...hard to imagine her charging about like a bulldog!
Old Oct 12th 2003, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Arlene

I would love to say that I agree with badger about the values etc that it teaches but for me a rugby players thighs are far better than those of a whingeing footie player. Its also a far more interesting game and those thighs...

mmmmmmm rugby

Claire
Old Oct 12th 2003, 8:54 am
WBB

Originally posted by arlene

arlene

you are not alone, i went to cardiff last night and watched a good game of football, in my opinion far more skillful a sport and the players are athletes as compared to the meatheads that play rugby.

Old Oct 12th 2003, 8:57 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by badgersmount
titter. Those forwards aint pretty.

however the values and attitudes it teaches are a lot better than the prima donna selfish money obsessed values that soccer players seem to pick up. Makes it all worthwhile.

Article in a lot of national papers recently about how soccer in the UK is really going down hill.

badge
If that money ever went into Rugby the players would become pre madonnas. Will Carling tried and failed to be a pre madonna.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 9:23 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
If that money ever went into Rugby the players would become pre madonnas. Will Carling tried and failed to be a pre madonna.
chortle chortle....dont you mean prima donna, bondipom?
can just see will carling with conical tits in his rugby shirt......!!

sue
Old Oct 12th 2003, 9:24 am
WBB

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins

sue

lol

Old Oct 12th 2003, 9:57 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins

sue
LOL

His wife that he did the dirty on wasn't that bad.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 10:24 am
Badge

there is stacks (ALOT) of skill in soccer, but it is one dimensional.

People don't realise how technical rugby is. For a forward, there are stacks of rules, the ability to get possession of a ball, and ruck and maul effectively under pressure is more difficult than you imagine etc - if it was a meathead game then big men from Georgia would not allow big men from England to run away with a 80 point goal difference- so there is skill somewhere.

For a back there is stacks of kicks to master from hand and foot, lines of running to consider, defensively you have to come up to scratch, from in front, behind etc. And then there is the 45m goal kicking. And ability to spin pass 10 metres.

I've said to my fiancee that an ability to sprint, AND side step off both feet, takes leg strength and evade tackles is like a dance itself with timing etc (she is a dancer by profession and can appreciate the legwork involved). I play myself and I love beating blokes one on one. Just seeing the look on their face when I step aside them is great. And then you have to be able to finish.

I find doing the same thing with a soccer ball slows me down - I want to run like a bloody gazelle not kick something along the ground like some street urchin with a tin can.

Also for all their meatheadedness, rugby players seem to be able to string sentences together and think for themselves and not speak in cliches.

A truly noble game. I only wish I could have been a professional.

Old Oct 12th 2003, 10:34 am
WBB

People don't realise how technical rugby is. For a forward, there are stacks of rules, the ability to get possession of a ball, and ruck and maul effectively under pressure is more difficult than you imagine etc - if it was a meathead game then big men from Georgia would not allow big men from England to run away with a 80 point goal difference- so there is skill somewhere.

For a back there is stacks of kicks to master from hand and foot, lines of running to consider, defensively you have to come up to scratch, from in front, behind etc. And then there is the 45m goal kicking. And ability to spin pass 10 metres.

I've said to my fiancee that an ability to sprint, AND side step off both feet, takes leg strength and evade tackles is like a dance itself with timing etc (she is a dancer by profession and can appreciate the legwork involved). I play myself and I love beating blokes one on one. Just seeing the look on their face when I step aside them is great. And then you have to be able to finish.

I find doing the same thing with a soccer ball slows me down - I want to run like a bloody gazelle not kick something along the ground like some street urchin with a tin can.

Also for all their meatheadedness, rugby players seem to be able to string sentences together and think for themselves and not speak in cliches.

what you say about rugby is probably true at the very top level but i was talking more about local rugby boys, you know drinking each others piss and licking up pavement pizza, then at the end of the night causing a 30 man fight and generally being offensive.

Old Oct 12th 2003, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by welshboybilly
what you say about rugby is probably true at the very top level ....
...but I doubt they're better examples at the top than they are at the grassroots of the game.

You can't get much higher profile than national captain, so, how many bans has Martin Johnson had for violent conduct in the 'truly noble game'?

Or, if it's not fair to pick on him (good ol' Jonno's an inspirational leader, remember), should we take another England captain. Lawrence Dallaglio, for example - what did he think was 'cool'? To 'boast' that he took cocaine - later admitted he didn't even take it. Makes it all the worst as Dallaglio has the inherent advantage of being rugby player (i.e. being 'able to string sentences together and think for themselves').

Compare Jonno's violent conduct (2 separate incidents got him a 35 day ban and a 3 week ban), to the worst example of petulence in recent years by an English footballer, perhaps Beckham's flick at an Argentian in the World Cup 1998. Remember the media reaction to both incidents (I can't personally remember too much about the media reaction to Jonno's, but can remember plenty about the reaction to Beckham)

Compare Dallaglio's boasts about drugs to Ferdinand's forgetfulness/stupidity regarding drugs.

Footballers good idols? - some are, some aren't
Rugby players any better? - see answer to previous question

Football - Rugby , different game a different media playing field.

There speaks a football fan and a rugby fan (who has no dillusions of believing the media stereotypes for either game)
Old Oct 12th 2003, 10:23 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Well said. 'Tis true. I'm a girl and I would have loved the chance to play rugby at school. Sadly it wasn't on offer and, being a bit lanky, I probably wasn't built for it...So I'm an avid fan instead.

My partner is rugby obsessed and since arriving in the UK has continued to play rugby league as well as taking up union (which he loves, after an initally confusing few games where he got things totally wrong
). There is no soccer in our house, but we're up at 10.30am every Sunday morning watching the NRL games on Sky.

It does take skill -strength, speed, agility, teamwork, stamina (all that mud), it does teach discipline and it has a good social side for the partners/family etc as well as the players.

Wilkinson versus Beckham? No contest in my view
Old Oct 12th 2003, 10:23 pm
Badge

Good point but I still think rugby is the more "civilised" sport on and off the pitch.

Dallygo was messing around with the infantile children of the gutter press. Johnno- well he's a forward and they all get aggravated sometimes. Often acts of violence are token retaliations. he hits you - you hit him back. (Just don't get caught ;-)

He's also a very intelligent bloke and V astute - wins all the trivial pursauit comps, is extremely modest.

When Beckham (have you heard the way he speaks - god help us if he even runs for office! all that money and he can't even speak like an adult) missed his penalty, the opposing soccer player shouted in his face - cant remember the last time that happened when Wilko etc missed. See the way Beckham dresses in that Adidas advert - like a gawky "Kevin" teenager. Wilko turns up looking like a sportsman/rugby player.

you do get the occasional brawl in rugby but that could be even be normally punch drunk blokes copping the odd end of a failing fist which may or not be even deliberate at BEST. At worst its 2 blokes who have been slogging away to get the better of each other all match finally losing it.

As for the local boys - they have a good time buts it all high spirits etc. Most are gents after all that playing around. if things get out of hand, one lad will say "come on lads." I've seen soccer fans on the piss actually out to intimidate people in the street, where the rugby player is just having a good time.

The number of times we have turned up with some of our number pissed in off licenses to hear the girls say "oh its ok - we'll serve you - you're rugby players, not football players. One time one said "we don't mind serving you. you're gents." Bloody hell!

Yeah, there is definitely a different culture. I think its great that Australia chooses these codes over soccer. Another reason for going! It says something about the national character of a country.

badge

Old Oct 12th 2003, 10:27 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, there is definitely a different culture. I think its great that Australia chooses these codes over soccer. Another reason for going! It says something about the national character of a country.

badge
Just as the soccer culture in the UK is one of the reasons I'm leaving...It's also the reason I call myself British rather than English

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.