Reload this Page >

what is about rugby

Wikiposts

what is about rugby

Old Oct 12th 2003, 10:34 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what is about rugby

Originally posted by badgersmount
Good point but I still think rugby is the more "civilised" sport on and off the pitch.

Dallygo was messing around with the infantile children of the gutter press. Johnno- well he's a forward and they all get aggravated sometimes. Often acts of violence are token retaliations. he hits you - you hit him back. (Just don't get caught ;-)

He's also a very intelligent bloke and V astute - wins all the trivial pursauit comps, is extremely modest.

When Beckham (have you heard the way he speaks - god help us if he even runs for office! all that money and he can't even speak like an adult) missed his penalty, the opposing soccer player shouted in his face - cant remember the last time that happened when Wilko etc missed. See the way Beckham dresses in that Adidas advert - like a gawky "Kevin" teenager. Wilko turns up looking like a sportsman/rugby player.

you do get the occasional brawl in rugby but that could be even be normally punch drunk blokes copping the odd end of a failing fist which may or not be even deliberate at BEST. At worst its 2 blokes who have been slogging away to get the better of each other all match finally losing it.

As for the local boys - they have a good time buts it all high spirits etc. Most are gents after all that playing around. if things get out of hand, one lad will say "come on lads." I've seen soccer fans on the piss actually out to intimidate people in the street, where the rugby player is just having a good time.

The number of times we have turned up with some of our number pissed in off licenses to hear the girls say "oh its ok - we'll serve you - you're rugby players, not football players. One time one said "we don't mind serving you. you're gents." Bloody hell!

Yeah, there is definitely a different culture. I think its great that Australia chooses these codes over soccer. Another reason for going! It says something about the national character of a country.

badge
I find the behaviour of league fans equally as obnoxious and less amusing than football fans. OK they do not riot on mass but they pub brawl just the same as any football fan. I watched the league grand final at a civilised pub in Bondi and there were countless fights and a shit atmosphere. I left at half time.

When watching England play in the world cup the Australians loved the atmosphere generated by all the singing. Some were even cheering for England.

The comment I get from Bottle Shops here is you are a pom and can take your drink relatively gracefully.

Shit pubs with shit fans are the same either side of the world.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 10:39 pm
Badge

Originally posted by bundy
Just as the soccer culture in the UK is one of the reasons I'm leaving...It's also the reason I call myself British rather than English
SNAP!! If I have to be totally honest it's one of the reasons why I am leaving too. In Australia I found that whilst you get hoons everywhere, blokes tend to be more laid back, less out for a windup, less of the geezer mentality. Sure, they're like young blokes everywhere. I've got mates that resent and joke about Australian blokes in London bars (probably because they're after the women!) but that's because they enjoy a chat etc.

I never really noticed that until I went to live in Australia. Then I noticed how loud English blokes were whenever I came across them. It was bloody embarassing and I would always keep my distance.

I used to live in the Eastern beaches and alot of the English blokes had no idea how to approach Australian girls in the local night spots. I was with some Australian girls watching the League Semi Final, so they're hardly soft, when a load of English blokes turned up, started chatting which turned to backchat.

The Australian girls were saying - "Go away. Get some manners. Be subtle."

Very embarassing to be English.

Last edited by badgersmount; Oct 12th 2003 at 10:43 pm.

Old Oct 12th 2003, 10:45 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

just to see if experiences are same - what pubs in the eastern beaches(i am presuming Sydney?)?

had similar experience but then start to frequent other places -very interesting the difference especially when i found alot of the patrons were also english but had been there for a while and had started going there for the same reason -to get away from the loud mouths lager types
Old Oct 12th 2003, 10:45 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

SNAP!! If I have to be totally honest it's one of the reasons why I am leaving too. In Australia I found that whilst you get hoons everywhere, blokes tend to be more laid back, less out for a windup, less of the geezer mentality. Sure, they're like young blokes everywhere. I've got mates that resent and joke about Australian blokes in London bars (probably because they're after the women!) but that's because they enjoy a chat etc.

I never really noticed that until I went to live in Australia. Then I noticed how loud English blokes were whenever I came across them. It was bloody embarassing and I would always keep my distance.

I used to live in the Eastern beaches and alot of the English blokes had no idea how to approach Australian girls in the local night spots. The Australin girls were saying - "Go away. Get some manners. Be subtle." Very embarassing to be English.
Exactly. Can't stand some of the British stereotypes out there and work hard to avoid getting tarred with the same brush. Maybe it's because I don't have any great feelings of patriotism towards this country...I also have a Jersey passport so can happily avoid calling myself English and get to have interesting conversations with passport control desks across the world ('Jersey? Where the hell is that?!).

You're right about the dismal attempts some English blokes make at ensnaring women...why do you think I'm with an aussie bloke?!
Old Oct 12th 2003, 10:56 pm
Badge

You're right about the dismal attempts some English blokes make at ensnaring women...why do you think I'm with an aussie bloke?!
[/QUOTE]

My fiancee has lived in UK for 20 years and says until she met me she had had it up to here with English blokes, I am ashamed to say?! The Australian girls I was with did explain to me that whilst aussie blokes are kind of portrayed as sexist and loud etc, they do seem to have manners and charm under all that.

I was in Bondi. And yes, I'm sure that a lot of English people are trying to get away from the lager crowd as well, but I wanted to watch sport in a sports bar. I go to the Walkabout in london, and it seems there that everyone there seems to get on much better than in Sydney. The Aussies seem to stick together. Not much mixing?

Old Oct 12th 2003, 11:17 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like there are nob head blokes the world over. I find them easier to avoid in Britain. I also try and avoid crowds of English unless I am watching football.

The stereotype here is the cheeky geezer who is a bit of a dodgy east end type.

Just be yourself and **ck the idiots with the stereotypes.

Guess my point is the dickheads take different forms in each country and are probably just as prevalent. Do not think that leaving Britain for Oz means leaving behind idiots.

I find them easier to avoid in the UK and you do in Oz.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 11:22 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Looks like there are nob head blokes the world over. I find them easier to avoid in Britain. I also try and avoid crowds of English unless I am watching football.

The stereotype here is the cheeky geezer who is a bit of a dodgy east end type.

Just be yourself and **ck the idiots with the stereotypes.

Guess my point is the dickheads take different forms in each country and are probably just as prevalent. Do not think that leaving Britain for Oz means leaving behind idiots.

I find them easier to avoid in the UK and you do in Oz.
Wise words, and I'm not so naive as to expect that there will be no idiots in Oz...I can think of a number already. It's just that they are a different breed of idiots and therefore a novelty at the moment! Idiots abound the world over. And since we will start of living in the middle of nowhere when we arrive in Oz, the chances of bumping into a large crowd of lager-swilling pommie louts is slim, to say the least. Thank god. Plenty of beer-swilling aussies thought, but I can handle them a lot better!
Old Oct 12th 2003, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Dallygo was messing around with the infantile children of the gutter press. Johnno- well he's a forward and they all get aggravated sometimes. Often acts of violence are token retaliations. he hits you - you hit him back. (Just don't get caught ;-) ....
You're highlighting my point badge.

Dismissing Dallaglio's predicament because it was 'gutter press', yet using the stories found in the gutter press as sticks to whack the footballers.

Can you imagine the furore created if Ferdinand had said what Dallaglio did, let alone imagine David Beckham saying it?

And your defence of Johnson. The same rules don't apply to Beckham (i.e. he hit you, you hit him back)? Of course not (perhaps more restraint is expected of footballers - higher standard perhaps? *TONGUE IN CHEEK*).

(But I'll agree on Jonny Wilkinson. No-one ever taunts when he misses. But this is because he never gives them the opportunity. )

I like both games but dislike unfair stereotyping. Role-models and idiots to be found in all sports.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by bondipom
Shit pubs with shit fans are the same either side of the world...
Darn it!

You put it so much better than I did
Old Oct 13th 2003, 12:12 am
Badge

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bundy
Wise words, and I'm not so naive as to expect that there will be no idiots in Oz...I can think of a number already.
[QUOTE]

Indeed. Hoons/fights the world over as I said. Shit fans the world over. However, I was not referencing fight's or crowd trouble, just atttitudes and culture.

In reply to Bundy's funny reply about the novelty factor, the Aussie ones seemed at least funny; loads of barracking not just moronic chanting.

Still, I found it interesting what the aussie girls said and found it an eye opener. Although - one of them was married to a Royal Marine(!) who was there!

badge

Old Oct 13th 2003, 12:21 am
She's a bird, you know

In reply to Bundy's funny reply about the novelty factor, the Aussie ones seemed at least funny; loads of barracking not just moronic chanting.

Still, I found it interesting what the aussie girls said and found it an eye opener. Although - one of them was married to a Royal Marine(!) who was there!

badge
I completely agree. Aussie blokes are much better at chatting up girls, mainly because they don't seem to 'chat up' - they simply chat. Us girls therefore feel like interesting human beings and not pieces of fluff/notches on the bedpost etc etc
which, as we all know, is the way to a woman's heart

Although, having been a solid relationship for 4 years, I have but dim recollections of being chatted up or otherwise..
Old Oct 13th 2003, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by bundy
.....mainly because they don't seem to 'chat up' - they simply chat. Us girls therefore feel like interesting human beings and not pieces of fluff/notches on the bedpost etc etc
which, as we all know, is the way to a woman's heart

...the tips you can pick up when talking about rugby...
Old Oct 13th 2003, 12:38 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by young_lad
...the tips you can pick up when talking about rugby...
Just goes to show what a wonderful social tool rugby is (???!!!)
Old Oct 13th 2003, 12:59 am
She's a bird, you know

Article in a lot of national papers recently about how soccer in the UK is really going down hill.

badge

And here's a link to one of those articles, if anyone is interested...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspap...849708,00.html
Old Oct 13th 2003, 2:24 am
NZ 2004 ... Inshallah

robernelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Never really liked rugby. At school, I used to throw the ball anywhere to avoid the nutters throwing themselves at you. If I have a son, I will be trying desperately to keep football as a priority in our household assuming we are in NZ by then. Could be difficult. I will be careful not to upset the locals by critising the national obsession though. It would still be nice for England to win the World Cup. Beating the Aussies at anything, even tiddly winks, on their own soil is to be applauded.

Rob

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.