Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What about the future ?

What about the future ?

Old Feb 3rd 2003, 10:36 am
Checkin' the world out.

nixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nice
Default Roger and out

Herman

Already said, I'm totally with you on your plans - bet of luck. I might be ranting but all of the subjects I'm ranting about aren't driving me away, and I'm certainly not expecting Oz to answer any of them. Just observing, and I'll see how much vitriol I can gain after a short stint in Oz, you know, fit in with the likes of a few opinions around here.

PB. 40 countries ? You like any of them ? Hmmm. Maybe that's how you got such a live and let live balanced view of life.

Tell you what. Call it quits. Let's ALL go to Sweden. No coloured glasses anywhere.
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 10:32 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of
Default Re: Roger and out

Originally posted by nixstuff
Herman

Already said, I'm totally with you on your plans - bet of luck. I might be ranting but all of the subjects I'm ranting about aren't driving me away, and I'm certainly not expecting Oz to answer any of them. Just observing, and I'll see how much vitriol I can gain after a short stint in Oz, you know, fit in with the likes of a few opinions around here.

PB. 40 countries ? You like any of them ? Hmmm. Maybe that's how you got such a live and let live balanced view of life.

Tell you what. Call it quits. Let's ALL go to Sweden. No coloured glasses anywhere.
Fair enough.
I always advise people to tell themselves and everyone else that they are coming to Oz for a few years to see how its done on the other side of the world. No more, no less. Nobody can say whether you'll love it or hate it and you cant plan for what good or bad luck life may throw at you either in Oz or the UK or force yourself to love something because you think you should. I know a British couple here who hate it but because they told everyone it was for good, because the media here says Australia is the best place in the world and because all their friends are green with envy at their lifestyle, they are riddled with guilt about not actually liking what everyone tells them they should love, so they soldier on in their quiet misery. Thats why I love it when people say they dont like it in Oz on this forum - its a reminder to those for whom things dont work out that they are entitled not to like life in Australia and should not feel guilty or depressed if that proves to be the case. Just be honest with yourself and treat your pre-emigration lifestyle fantasies with a healthy degree of scepticism. I dont want to try to put anyone off from coming to Oz or from returning to the UK - both are equally as wrong in my opinion.
I often laugh at what we have planned for the next 5 years because I know sure as night follows day that the reality will be a million miles from our best laid plans! 7 years ago I was single and in Bristol, then I was in Oz for a year, then I decided it was time to settle down and buy a house in Bristol, then 6 months later I was living a lads life in London and jetting off all over the world with work, then 2 years after that I met my wife in a bar in Prague and now I'm married and returning back to Bristol after 2 years in Sydney. The circles of life eh!
Good luck with whatever happens.
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 10:56 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Herman

Sorry I just was bought to tears with your sad post about all the problems you have in the UK , I did once have a friendship with a girl from Hanley that place is the pits used to go there for the soul all nighters is the Torch still going?
Its easy to like anywhere that you only visit but living there is another thing , I loved America but it takes balls to live in a country that the safety net is so low my wifes health would be a drawback its been expensive here ,America would have broke us.
Best Wishes PB

Old Feb 3rd 2003, 10:57 pm
Finally made it

Paul and Steph is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with your point of view Herman. It takes a lot of courage to say 'I've made a mistake' and as you point out, the best laid plans can be a million miles away from reality.

But if you don't take chances in life you can miss out on so much. Which is why I am thoroughly enjoying my pre-emigration fantasies! When (if!) we finally get our visa the intention is to give it our best shot, work hard, play hard and hopefully gain a lot of different experiences (yes I know they won't all be good) and hopefully a few new drinking partners.

If we don't like it, we do something different. Rather that than get to retirement, sitting on a bench and saying 'what if?'

At least the majority on this forum, whether going to Oz or returning to UK can say 'We did that'

Steph
Old Feb 4th 2003, 9:38 am
Checkin' the world out.

nixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nice

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pommie bastard
Sorry I just was bought to tears with your sad post about all the problems you have in the UK , I did once have a friendship with a girl from Hanley that place is the pits used to go there for the soul all nighters is the Torch still going?
Its easy to like anywhere that you only visit but living there is another thing , I loved America but it takes balls to live in a country that the safety net is so low my wifes health would be a drawback its been expensive here ,America would have broke us.
Best Wishes PB

With you on that one PB. I lived and worked in Canada for 6 months. It was great at first, then the realities hit. Just lately there's been a lot of anti immigrant/anti english stuff going on over there, with folks having real trouble getting jobs and settling - Canada has great scenery but is real insular. We'll see how we fair in Oz.

Up 'anley ? Oh better than ever duck. The glass contractors have a field day Sundays after the weekly 'stoke lost again let's trash the town' antics. My mate's a copper, rides the van most weeks. Delightful.

How do you know when a Stokey Bird is having an orgasm ? She drops her pie..
Old Feb 4th 2003, 11:04 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

[
With you on that one PB. I lived and worked in Canada for 6 months. It was great at first, then the realities hit. Just lately there's been a lot of anti immigrant/anti english stuff going on over there, with folks having real trouble getting jobs and settling - Canada has great scenery but is real insular. We'll see how we fair in Oz.

Up 'anley ? Oh better than ever duck. The glass contractors have a field day Sundays after the weekly 'stoke lost again let's trash the town' antics. My mate's a copper, rides the van most weeks. Delightful.

How do you know when a Stokey Bird is having an orgasm ? She drops her pie..
Even though I have little time for Hanley I did like you lot and its the people that make a place worth living in not the place its self , human beings need social interaction and where you you are born leaves an inprint on you.
Best away match ever went to was at Port Vale got out the car with my mates ,2 guys said are you looking for Pub I replied yes any good ones around here they took us to their club .,the beer and shorts where dirt cheap never seen the match and got home Sunday had a great time.

Good luck PB.

Old Feb 5th 2003, 4:45 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Paul and Steph
If we don't like it, we do something different. Rather that than get to retirement, sitting on a bench and saying 'what if?'
Even if you don't like it but stay 2 years you can take citizenship and on retirement move back, sitting on a lovely tropical Queensland beach saying "what if"?

I know I'll like it, I'm just hoping my "cook" likes it as much. She should though, she's a diving instructor and we have already planned our half term trip to Ningaloo Reef.

Dan
Old Feb 5th 2003, 5:05 am
Banned

Originally posted by renth
Even if you don't like it but stay 2 years you can take citizenship and on retirement move back, sitting on a lovely tropical Queensland beach saying "what if"?

I know I'll like it, I'm just hoping my "cook" likes it as much. She should though, she's a diving instructor and we have already planned our half term trip to Ningaloo Reef.

Dan
Hard to disagree with what are both saying and Australia has become home to Millions ,come with your eyes wide open and you could do well .
Thought about retiring here here then again the older I get I think people matter more than places , you can be out of it in the best spots in the world.
Good luck with your trip to Ningaloo Reef the sea life is on a par with the Great Barrier Reef , bit of a drive though not a weekend trip.

Old Feb 5th 2003, 5:12 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Good luck with your trip to Ningaloo Reef the sea life is on a par with the Great Barrier Reef , bit of a drive though not a weekend trip.
Tell me about it, I've done Perth to Cairns via Darwin on a motorbike. We'll stop over at Kalbarri.

I'll give Carnarvon a miss though, this place gives a whole new meaning to the word "desolate".

I suppose I'll have to get a job at some stage though, I'd hate for work to interfere with my leisure plans...
Old Feb 5th 2003, 5:21 am
Banned

Originally posted by renth
Tell me about it, I've done Perth to Cairns via Darwin on a motorbike. We'll stop over at Kalbarri.

I'll give Carnarvon a miss though, this place gives a whole new meaning to the word "desolate".

I suppose I'll have to get a job at some stage though, I'd hate for work to interfere with my leisure plans...
Everywhere seems along way away but thats why some love it , as my cook says Alcatraz without walls .
Good luck with the job it can be a case of who you know rather than what you know , but most places would rather take a Pom on the locals are very iffy.