Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What about the future ?

What about the future ?

Old Jan 30th 2003, 6:34 am
  #16  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Perth Arse end of the planet
Posts: 7,037
pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Originally posted by JustArrived
Maybe, but I think it depends on what you want in life.
Very true and we were in holiday mode for 2 years before we became fed up with the limitations , in order to keep our minds busy we built a new home my wife changed jobs a few times but will be well glad to leave WA .




pommie bastard is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2003, 6:51 am
  #17  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Perth, WA
Posts: 54
JustArrived is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Well, at least we know there's another 19 months to be happy. Though even if we left it wouldn't be back to the UK, no way.

Good luck with your move, though. Hope everything goes well.
JustArrived is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2003, 7:09 am
  #18  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Ozone Layer
Posts: 135
madmancunian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Originally posted by JustArrived
Well, at least we know there's another 19 months to be happy. Though even if we left it wouldn't be back to the UK, no way.
Not everyone gets depressed after 2 years - some quicker, some later, some never. You'll need to make your own mind - not listen to the copious amounts of hot air blown about by 'experts' on this forum.

MM
madmancunian is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2003, 7:11 am
  #19  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Perth Arse end of the planet
Posts: 7,037
pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Originally posted by JustArrived
Well, at least we know there's another 19 months to be happy. Though even if we left it wouldn't be back to the UK, no way.

Good luck with your move, though. Hope everything goes well.
Thanks for that you are a bit of a worry far to normal for this site,
we love the UK and think that we have been away from our familys for far too long.




pommie bastard is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2003, 7:17 am
  #20  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Perth Arse end of the planet
Posts: 7,037
pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Originally posted by madmancunian
Not everyone gets depressed after 2 years - some quicker, some later, some never. You'll need to make your own mind - not listen to the copious amounts of hot air blown about by 'experts' on this forum.

MM
This is far deep mad one you could get red carded , this at lest should be a yellow , whos giving advice opinions maybe but any grown up will do as they please.

pommie bastard is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2003, 10:32 am
  #21  
Checkin' the world out.
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 113
nixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nice
Default More thoughts

Herman

Interesting stuff, and I'm with you on all counts. Rather than Gloucs, we love the south west, and it was my original idea to move to Bournemouth. However, when we looked 3 years ago our semi in stoke was 50k and the same in Dorset was 200...with wages of course exactly the same. And that's how the whole chain of thought started. If we're 4 hrs south, given how traffic already is, never mind the predictions for 2010, we might as well be on the other side of the planet. We'd still lose the social life of our friends, the nip round and borrow stuff off our parents routine etc. etc. you know the drill !

We've done weekend city breaks in Europe, all our friends and family are close, and yes, the supermarkets are open 24/7. And when the sun shines...well, the green green grass of rural England really is just that. No where like it.

BUT

CONGESTION is a very real problem. A couple of years back it took us longer to drive Gatwick back to Stoke than it did to fly Baltimore to Gatwick, which is just ludicrous. I drive 8 miles to work, and it can take anything from 20mins to 40mins - the roads even around here are so close to breaking point, that one small interference with the flow such as a simple breakdown crashes the whole system.

COST - If you already have the cash or can gamble on a massive mortgage, the UK might just suit. And we realise Oz is going the same way, but even Europe have stated that the UK market is 25% overpriced - now what if that prompted a crash, say we ever managed further European market integration? You'd have a nation of negative equity.

CLIMATE. An obvious one, but changing by the year. Over the past 5 years things have got scary. I would LOVE seasons...but we only have one now. It's called SPRAUTUMN. No REAL snow, hardly any real sun. Just dismal north atlantic grey. Which is fine...but not for 10 months a year. The whole planet faces dramatic climate change - it's just a shame the UK gets the depressing version. And I do believe it affects outlook and attitude. I spoke to a Severn Trent Manager the other night, a groundwater inspector. He warned to be VERY concerned. The UK is for the forseeable future SATURATED. Water tables are at an all time high, and they are virtually guaranteeing no hose pipe ban for 25 years. Every time it rains for more than a day (which is often), many parts suffer floods...and still they build new homes on flood plains because it's cheap land.

Oz is not the answer to anyone's problems by a long shot, but it seems a very attractive alternative. And i'd like to be in the position to live there on a daily basis, and maybe visit the UK once in a while rather than the other way around. PB you may be bored of WA and I can understand why, but bored vs stressed is a difficult equation to manage. I suppose in the end it's what suits everyday living.

My wife's uncle, one of most of her family now in Oz, summed it all up visiting earlier this year - 'God we miss Europe..but believe me we don't miss the UK one bit.'

Damn. That turned into a bashing session didn't it ?

Last edited by nixstuff; Jan 30th 2003 at 2:33 pm.
nixstuff is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2003, 2:04 pm
  #22  
Free at last!
 
Houdini's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 424
Houdini is on a distinguished road
Default

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nixstuff
Steph

I’m not trying to launch another UK bashing session really, and of course not everyone’s jaded and sour. It’s just seems that there’s a quite subtle yet very real sense of resigned failure around. It’s like a collective, sympathetic, and also fond sigh of sadness being breathed around the country. To us it feels like an ‘ah well, do you remember when England used to be so, you know..?’

I believe 1966 was a good year for England - mind you I wasn't around then, but plenty of people have told me about it over and over again.
Houdini is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2003, 1:38 am
  #23  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Perth Arse end of the planet
Posts: 7,037
pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More thoughts

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by nixstuff
Herman

CONGESTION is a very real problem. A couple of years back it took us longer to drive Gatwick back to Stoke than it did to fly Baltimore to Gatwick, which is just ludicrous. I drive 8 miles to work, and it can take anything from 20mins to 40mins - the roads even around here are so close to breaking point, that one small interference with the flow such as a simple breakdown crashes the whole system.

Know what you mean I had a car like that once? Perth has one Freeway do not even go near it if there is a crash 20km tail backs and rush hour gives you time to enjoy the views.

COST - If you already have the cash or can gamble on a massive mortgage, the UK might just suit. And we realise Oz is going the same way, but even Europe have stated that the UK market is 25% overpriced - now what if that prompted a crash, say we ever managed further European market integration? You'd have a nation of negative equity.

Location counts what are you doing in Stoke could not find anywhere worse to live? sorry you are coming to Australia forgive me.

CLIMATE. An obvious one, but changing by the year. Over the past 5 years things have got scary. I would LOVE seasons...but we only have one now. It's called SPRAUTUMN. No REAL snow, hardly any real sun. Just dismal north atlantic grey. Which is fine...but not for 10 months a year. The whole planet faces dramatic climate change - it's just a shame the UK gets the depressing version. And I do believe it affects outlook and attitude. I spoke to a Severn Trent Manager the other night, a groundwater inspector. He warned to be VERY concerned. The UK is for the forseeable future SATURATED. Water tables are at an all time high, and they are virtually guaranteeing no hose pipe ban for 25 years. Every time it rains for more than a day (which is often), many parts suffer floods...and still they build new homes on flood plains because it's cheap land.


Floods , drought and gale force winds all to had in Australia its a fun place , bush fires liven a few peoples lifes too over a 600 homes lost this year.
Watching UK ground force I have seen it rain but whats that blue sky thing that keeps cropping up now and again? the same thing happens on changing rooms they do wonderful things with TV cameras now adays.
Had Aussie friends come back from UK having spent July until October there saying how good the weather was , seems not in Stoke?



Oz is not the answer to anyone's problems by a long shot, but it seems a very attractive alternative. And i'd like to be in the position to live there on a daily basis, and maybe visit the UK once in a while rather than the other way around. PB you may be bored of WA and I can understand why, but bored vs stressed is a difficult equation to manage. I suppose in the end it's what suits everyday living.


Got to agree with you been Stoke and living anywhere would be better , the thing is half way around the world a bit too far.

My wife's uncle, one of most of her family now in Oz, summed it all up visiting earlier this year - 'God we miss Europe..but believe me we don't miss the UK one bit.'

Seen this before people go back to the UK and think their family give a sod how they are doing believe me in most cases after a week of Australia this and Australia that most turn off and wish these good people have stayed at home this rubs off the unwelcome visitor.

Damn. That turned into a bashing session didn't it ?

Well yet another brained washed Pom good luck you will need it.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jan 31st 2003 at 5:02 am.
pommie bastard is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2003, 7:12 am
  #24  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Ozone Layer
Posts: 135
madmancunian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: More thoughts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pommie bastard
[i]Originally posted by nixstuff
Herman

CONGESTION - Aus wins
(MORTGAGE) COST - A dead heat
CLIMATE. - No contest - Aus wins

Well yet another brained washed Pom good luck you will need it.
It looks more like you're the one trying to brainwash people PB (unsuccessfully). But keep trying - it's good for a laugh.

MM
madmancunian is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2003, 7:25 am
  #25  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Perth Arse end of the planet
Posts: 7,037
pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More thoughts

Originally posted by madmancunian
It looks more like you're the one trying to brainwash people PB (unsuccessfully). But keep trying - it's good for a laugh.

MM
I take exception to that not having a brain I know little about the subject , could do with a haircut though.
Good to hear that you laughing hopefully as much as me , what did Mad Maggi say before she shafted us in 1979 " Give me your hopeless so I may bring hope " some bull like that anyway.



Last edited by pommie bastard; Jan 31st 2003 at 7:30 am.
pommie bastard is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2003, 9:13 am
  #26  
Checkin' the world out.
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 113
nixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nice
Default PB...

...yep, the independent republic of stoke does indeed have different weather from the rest of the UK. Seen our news today - people stuck overnight on the M11, A14. Motorways are shut cos of one night of snow. Stoke ? Blistering sunshine. So, you can guess what happens when it's summer everywhere else. And don't ask me why.

Oh, and you missed my point altogether. We're not coming to Oz cos nowhere in England suits, and we're not looking for all our gripes to be solved cos they ain't going to be, just trying an alternative. All I was pointing out was the things that shout out to many who live here, hence I was wondering if that's the message that gets to Oz and the rest of the world to attract people here ? They come to spend the night on the M11 ?

Grey, miserable and overcrowded. Not a desription you'd apply to Oz. Or maybe you would. And who's a brainwashed Pom numbnuts ? Sounds like i'm far more travelled than you. If you'd quit with the personals you'd have more weight behind your arguments. Shame you can't resist, I've been enjoying your comments as much as the dreamers.

Last edited by nixstuff; Jan 31st 2003 at 9:28 am.
nixstuff is offline  
Old Feb 2nd 2003, 11:45 pm
  #27  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Perth Arse end of the planet
Posts: 7,037
pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PB...

Originally posted by nixstuff
...yep, the independent republic of stoke does indeed have different weather from the rest of the UK. Seen our news today - people stuck overnight on the M11, A14. Motorways are shut cos of one night of snow. Stoke ? Blistering sunshine. So, you can guess what happens when it's summer everywhere else. And don't ask me why.

Oh, and you missed my point altogether. We're not coming to Oz cos nowhere in England suits, and we're not looking for all our gripes to be solved cos they ain't going to be, just trying an alternative. All I was pointing out was the things that shout out to many who live here, hence I was wondering if that's the message that gets to Oz and the rest of the world to attract people here ? They come to spend the night on the M11 ?

Grey, miserable and overcrowded. Not a desription you'd apply to Oz. Or maybe you would. And who's a brainwashed Pom numbnuts ? Sounds like i'm far more travelled than you. If you'd quit with the personals you'd have more weight behind your arguments. Shame you can't resist, I've been enjoying your comments as much as the dreamers.

Snow in winter what a surprise I 've seen the Freeway here shut off because of a bit wind , I think in general its some Brits that are grey and miserable they love something to moan about even if its not happening to them.
Perth is becoming way over populated 1.3 million people only one main road no industry and infrastructure that is not coping , water being the main problem but power is cut off at lest a couple of times a month thanks to over head cables.
As being more well travelled I doult it I have traveled to 40 countries and have lived in Australia far longer than you .
Anyway good news about our crap sportsmen , and bad news about the Aussie lifestyle, its easy point out both.




ENGLAND boss Joe Lydon heaped praise on his side after they pulled off a shock to win the World Sevens Series in Brisbane today in the Finals.

Lydon’s side beat Fiji 28-14 in the final having already dumped New Zealand 19-14 in the semi-finals.


TWO toddlers drowned in a backyard swimming pool in the southern suburb of Cooloongup yesterday.

Det-Sgt Warren Mosconi said a neighbour noticed the boys, aged 12 months and 18 months, in the pool and dived in to rescue them.

Det-Sgt Mosconi said the neighbour then helped rush the boys, from separate families, to Rockingham Hospital, where they were pronounced dead.

He said police were investigating.

PS By the way its high summer here Sunday was grey over cast and storms all night , could not play golf because the greens were under water .






Last edited by pommie bastard; Feb 2nd 2003 at 11:49 pm.
pommie bastard is offline  
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 1:05 am
  #28  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 16
Perthguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PB...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pommie bastard



PS By the way its high summer here Sunday was grey over cast and storms all night , could not play golf because the greens were under water .[QUOTE]

How often does that happen...once a blue moon!!
Besides Sunday was still warm and partly sunny. Also who cares if it rains overnight, surely that is the best time for rain.
Perthguy is offline  
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 1:39 am
  #29  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Perth Arse end of the planet
Posts: 7,037
pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PB...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Perthguy
[QUOTE]Originally posted by pommie bastard



PS By the way its high summer here Sunday was grey over cast and storms all night , could not play golf because the greens were under water .

How often does that happen...once a blue moon!!
Besides Sunday was still warm and partly sunny. Also who cares if it rains overnight, surely that is the best time for rain.

Yeah not to often in the Summer but quite a bit in the Winter , Spring and Autumn ,partly sunny Yes about 4pm and still was cool and windy , Saturday was 37c Grey and overcast and humid a crap day .




pommie bastard is offline  
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 4:40 am
  #30  
Senior member
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Paris
Posts: 835
Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of
Default Re: More thoughts

Originally posted by nixstuff
Herman

Interesting stuff, and I'm with you on all counts. Rather than Gloucs, we love the south west, and it was my original idea to move to Bournemouth. However, when we looked 3 years ago our semi in stoke was 50k and the same in Dorset was 200...with wages of course exactly the same. And that's how the whole chain of thought started. If we're 4 hrs south, given how traffic already is, never mind the predictions for 2010, we might as well be on the other side of the planet. We'd still lose the social life of our friends, the nip round and borrow stuff off our parents routine etc. etc. you know the drill !

We've done weekend city breaks in Europe, all our friends and family are close, and yes, the supermarkets are open 24/7. And when the sun shines...well, the green green grass of rural England really is just that. No where like it.

BUT

CONGESTION is a very real problem. A couple of years back it took us longer to drive Gatwick back to Stoke than it did to fly Baltimore to Gatwick, which is just ludicrous. I drive 8 miles to work, and it can take anything from 20mins to 40mins - the roads even around here are so close to breaking point, that one small interference with the flow such as a simple breakdown crashes the whole system.

COST - If you already have the cash or can gamble on a massive mortgage, the UK might just suit. And we realise Oz is going the same way, but even Europe have stated that the UK market is 25% overpriced - now what if that prompted a crash, say we ever managed further European market integration? You'd have a nation of negative equity.

CLIMATE. An obvious one, but changing by the year. Over the past 5 years things have got scary. I would LOVE seasons...but we only have one now. It's called SPRAUTUMN. No REAL snow, hardly any real sun. Just dismal north atlantic grey. Which is fine...but not for 10 months a year. The whole planet faces dramatic climate change - it's just a shame the UK gets the depressing version. And I do believe it affects outlook and attitude. I spoke to a Severn Trent Manager the other night, a groundwater inspector. He warned to be VERY concerned. The UK is for the forseeable future SATURATED. Water tables are at an all time high, and they are virtually guaranteeing no hose pipe ban for 25 years. Every time it rains for more than a day (which is often), many parts suffer floods...and still they build new homes on flood plains because it's cheap land.

Oz is not the answer to anyone's problems by a long shot, but it seems a very attractive alternative. And i'd like to be in the position to live there on a daily basis, and maybe visit the UK once in a while rather than the other way around. PB you may be bored of WA and I can understand why, but bored vs stressed is a difficult equation to manage. I suppose in the end it's what suits everyday living.

My wife's uncle, one of most of her family now in Oz, summed it all up visiting earlier this year - 'God we miss Europe..but believe me we don't miss the UK one bit.'

Damn. That turned into a bashing session didn't it ?
Those of us who live in Australia are well aware of these issues and I say unto you, that we are prepared to take the rough with the smooth because, on balance, there are rougher roughs than those you describe right here in Oz. My personal response to your UK issues are:

Congestion - yep, its a nightmare. Hate it. We will be buying based on location and I will be seeking an employer happy to sponsor working from home. Its guaranteed we will get caught in a 7 hour traffic jam at some stage in the next few years. We'll survive, just as we did following a 5 hour bush fire delay here the other week. Its an hour to work for 99% of Sydneysiders so really no different.

Cost - not an issue for me. Cost of living is less in the UK relative to after tax salary in my profession. Cost is a big reason for me to be in UK over Australia, certainly not the other way around.

Climate - never depressed me when I was in the UK. I enjoyed my winter skiing and the only time of year I got a bit sick of it was March when winter seems to drag. I spend more time indoors in Australia escaping the weather (heat/sunburn) than I ever did in England. I also find it confusing that in Stoke it is apparently grey for 10 months of the year. The month of warm weather and blue skies we experienced in England in August must have been an extraordinary fluke and I now feel overjoyed at our apparent good luck. Also, maybe my South African aunt and uncle were deluding themselves when they talked about the beautiful weather they experienced in England from May to the end of July last year? Maybe at the same time as I take off my rose tinted glasses you should take your grey tinted glasses off and we'll both see the light!

Seriously, my opinion is that if the reasons you cite are weighty enough to drive you out of the country then fair enough. To me they are minor inconveniences and hardly distract me from the business of living.
Herman is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.