Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what about Brisbane

what about Brisbane

Old May 5th 2008, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

johnnyy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what about Brisbane

I am thinking of moving to Brisbane. Is there lots of construction work? Is it a good city in Australia no move to? How long does it take to get the visa?
Old May 5th 2008, 8:29 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what about Brisbane

Originally Posted by johnnyy
I am thinking of moving to Brisbane. Is there lots of construction work? Is it a good city in Australia no move to? How long does it take to get the visa?
without a crystal ball i cannot answer

can you let us know what you do for a living how old are you etc this will give us a chance at answering your question

regards steve
Old May 6th 2008, 7:21 am
Just Joined

johnnyy is an unknown quantity at this point

drylining (plasterboard) at home I work for myself and have a few men working for me and would like to do the same there. is it hard to get started?
Old May 6th 2008, 7:47 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyy
drylining (plasterboard) at home I work for myself and have a few men working for me and would like to do the same there. is it hard to get started?
to be honest john i dont know bugger all about dry lining except that they dont do skimming over here its all taped and filled joints

i think a logical start would be the bsa site as again i`m not even sure if its a licensed trade ??

looks like it is

http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/home/build...lasses/pdw.htm
Old May 6th 2008, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

sorry to but in, i was also looking for info on possible areas in QLD for plumbing work, is it going to be best to stay close to brisbane?
any info would be good cheers.
Old May 6th 2008, 8:13 am
Worongary

Originally Posted by johnknight001
sorry to but in, i was also looking for info on possible areas in QLD for plumbing work, is it going to be best to stay close to brisbane?
any info would be good cheers.
not really they have made water and pipes available all the way down to coolangatta now
Old May 6th 2008, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

still smiling,
in your opinion would i be best suited looking initialy at brisbane for a base then looking further if need be.
john
Old May 6th 2008, 8:20 am
Worongary

still smiling,
in your opinion would i be best suited looking initialy at brisbane for a base then looking further if need be.
john
to be honest mate the place is still one big building site with most of the new properties been built out side of brisbane ( its full ) i have a couple of mates down this end who are plumbers and they always seem to be busy
the worst bit is sorting out the licencing its on a par with sparkies for been dragged out and to some point quite rediculous

have you checked out the plumbers forum ??
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=119

Last edited by steve`o; May 6th 2008 at 8:23 am.
Old May 6th 2008, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

hi
i am going the vettasses route and i spoke to a tafe in brisbane, they seem to think i would be issued a temp licance and would have to complete some modules at night school, i am happy to do this, my only concern was that a company would not emloy me due to the provisional licence, i understand their would be a lower rate initialy whilst gaining the aus experiance and updating quals, is it somthing you have seen or heard of.
john
Old May 6th 2008, 8:28 am
Worongary

hi
i am going the vettasses route and i spoke to a tafe in brisbane, they seem to think i would be issued a temp licance and would have to complete some modules at night school, i am happy to do this, my only concern was that a company would not emloy me due to the provisional licence, i understand their would be a lower rate initialy whilst gaining the aus experiance and updating quals, is it somthing you have seen or heard of.
john
i`m a spark and i had to work under the supervsion of an australia trained electrician whilst doing the wiring course and filling in me little log book
i assume its the same for plumbers but i dont actually know any one whos done it hence the inclusion of the plumbers forum link in my previos post john
Old May 6th 2008, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks steve,
unfortunatly their does not seem to be any plumbers in australia, well non that post on the plumbing forum, i have looked and posted, not much response, however i have found the sparky thread very usefull for info especially when i was applying for vettasses. anyway thanks again.
john
Old May 6th 2008, 8:39 am
Worongary

thanks steve,
unfortunatly their does not seem to be any plumbers in australia, well non that post on the plumbing forum, i have looked and posted, not much response, however i have found the sparky thread very usefull for info especially when i was applying for vettasses. anyway thanks again.
john
i dont know if its avaiable for plumbers but a lot of sparkies now go to peer in adelaide for licencing as its just so much quicker, ive just had a quick look at the web site and plumbing is also metioned ( the web sites shite so i`d call them to find out )

might be worth some further attention

http://peer.com.au/index1024m.htm
Old May 6th 2008, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

cheers steve, i will be looking at this,
john
Old May 6th 2008, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

hi
john
http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/Home/Build...torLicence.htm
Old May 6th 2008, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks