Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best Places to say in Sydney:confused:

Best Places to say in Sydney:confused:

Old May 1st 2008, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

footwearguy is a jewel in the roughfootwearguy is a jewel in the roughfootwearguy is a jewel in the roughfootwearguy is a jewel in the rough
Smile Best Places to say in Sydney:confused:

Hey Everyone!!! Ive just book my business trip to Oz and Im coming over in July Im looking for a cheap and cheerful place in or around Sydney. It can be a flat, hotel or even apartment, I need somewhere to stay for Min 2 weeks my only hurdle is the price Can anyone help??? Any help will be greeted with lots of shoes once my business takes off. Thanks again and I look forward to the bbq life style, even in Winter
Old May 1st 2008, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

taylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Best Places to say in Sydney:confused:

hi, when i travelled oz, (a while ago in 2004) i rented a 2 bed apartment in vaucluse, which at the time was meant to be 1 of the top ten richest real estate ares in sydney. It was 10-15 mins to bondi junction and then got train from there to city centre which was about another 10mins.

It was 2 beds, a huge wrap around balcony, big kitchen, big bathroom and cost us (me, partner and my brother) $340 a week, it was right on huge ckiffs/bluff on the ocean (diamond bay) and close to some of the best little hidden beaches i have ever seen.
It was unfurnished though, we was there 6 months and just bought basics. That was 4 years ago though so prices would of risen and you would prob want furnished but if you look a little out of bondi you can get a cheap nice place.

good luck in finding somewhere, have fun

kelly
Old May 1st 2008, 5:59 pm

Bonzer Sheila is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by footwearguy
Hey Everyone!!! Ive just book my business trip to Oz and Im coming over in July Im looking for a cheap and cheerful place in or around Sydney. It can be a flat, hotel or even apartment, I need somewhere to stay for Min 2 weeks my only hurdle is the price Can anyone help??? Any help will be greeted with lots of shoes once my business takes off. Thanks again and I look forward to the bbq life style, even in Winter
A simple search for 'holiday' or 'serviced apartments' should get you a deal of juicy results. There a few good deals to be had on Bondi Beach at the moment!! If you're not too familiar with the geography of Sydney try going to
http://www.domain.com.au/?s_rid=WS:smh:top
and looking at a favoured area of choice on the local map...then zoom out. You will see what an incredibly tricky city it is to drive around...loads of waterways and it's so hilly!! Our Aussie friends used to have competitions to see who could find an the easiest/shortest way to get from west to east.
So if you're going to be out there on business think carefully about how you're going to get to your office/clients or whatever and investigate all the local (always excellent) forms of public transport before you fall for a dreamy apartment out at Palm Beach for example. The city centre has such at buzz and ferries will take you all over...perhaps look at some of the very reasonable priced places around Pyrmont. Good Luck and have fun.
Old May 2nd 2008, 2:22 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonzer Sheila
A simple search for 'holiday' or 'serviced apartments' should get you a deal of juicy results. There a few good deals to be had on Bondi Beach at the moment!! If you're not too familiar with the geography of Sydney try going to
http://www.domain.com.au/?s_rid=WS:smh:top
and looking at a favoured area of choice on the local map...then zoom out. You will see what an incredibly tricky city it is to drive around...loads of waterways and it's so hilly!! Our Aussie friends used to have competitions to see who could find an the easiest/shortest way to get from west to east.
So if you're going to be out there on business think carefully about how you're going to get to your office/clients or whatever and investigate all the local (always excellent) forms of public transport before you fall for a dreamy apartment out at Palm Beach for example. The city centre has such at buzz and ferries will take you all over...perhaps look at some of the very reasonable priced places around Pyrmont. Good Luck and have fun.
Very good advice! If you have to travel frequently around Sydney some of the roads are very very windy and hilly. The way from the Northern beaches to Dural comes to mind - deep canyons and lots of hairpin bends as you go from one to the other. Scenic - but if you want to get there quickly a no-go!
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

If you are renting an apartment in July, just make sure it has heating!!! I am not joking. We arrived on 29th June last year on the coldest night in Sydney in 40 years and went straight to the lovely townhouse we had pre-booked, all open plan with tiled floors and NO HEATING. Not funny.
Old May 2nd 2008, 4:05 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - can you let us know how "cheap and cheerful" not much point giving you links to a few places I have used if they are not cheap enough.

Do you need to be central or specifically North South West etc of Sydney? Sorry to ask the detailed questions but Sydney is a huge sprawl of many Business Districts and diverse opportunities.

Have a look at Waldorf apartments they seem to have a fair range than cover most areas but might not be the price bracket you are looking for.
Old May 2nd 2008, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
If you are renting an apartment in July, just make sure it has heating!!! I am not joking. We arrived on 29th June last year on the coldest night in Sydney in 40 years and went straight to the lovely townhouse we had pre-booked, all open plan with tiled floors and NO HEATING. Not funny.
Footwearguy....Rosscarbery gives good advice! Going over in July, their winter should mean the prices will be cheaper. Never be afraid to try to negotiate a deal. We found the Aussies not at all fazed by a friendly someone asking for a discount. Remember 'shy babies get no sweets'. If you do end up with a short list please ask us what we think. Be happy to help if at all possible.
Old May 2nd 2008, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

footwearguy is a jewel in the roughfootwearguy is a jewel in the roughfootwearguy is a jewel in the roughfootwearguy is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Best Places to say in Sydney:confused:

Footwearguy....Rosscarbery gives good advice! Going over in July, their winter should mean the prices will be cheaper. Never be afraid to try to negotiate a deal. We found the Aussies not at all fazed by a friendly someone asking for a discount. Remember 'shy babies get no sweets'. If you do end up with a short list please ask us what we think. Be happy to help if at all possible.
Thanks for all the help you guys, if people in Australia are half as friendly and helpful as you I know ill be fine. With regards to cheap and cheerful accommodation I'm not sure what prices are best. From my limited searches Ive seen places for about £40 per night, which correct me if im wrong is quite high. Having spoken to a few of you guys I'm now considering getting a small Camper Van after a week or so in Sydney and going on a nationwide footwear Hunt. Any ideas on campervans/apartments will be invaluable. Thanks again
Old May 2nd 2008, 6:28 pm

Thanks for all the help you guys, if people in Australia are half as friendly and helpful as you I know ill be fine. With regards to cheap and cheerful accommodation I'm not sure what prices are best. From my limited searches Ive seen places for about £40 per night, which correct me if im wrong is quite high. Having spoken to a few of you guys I'm now considering getting a small Camper Van after a week or so in Sydney and going on a nationwide footwear Hunt. Any ideas on campervans/apartments will be invaluable. Thanks again
Did the campervan thing in NZ...and have friends who did it in OZ. If you have a friend who has an Australian address look at joining 'The Big 4' club. Membership is very reasonable and gives you privileges and discounts at all their campsites/holiday parks....most of which are EXCELLENT...some even have powered and ensuite sites for your tent or van!!?? There are sites/parks all over Oz. http://www.big4.com.au/public/

HOWEVER a campervan to get around and stay in central Sydney...I don't think so. I have to feed my children now before they mutiny but will try to give you some more specific pointers about apartments in Sydney later this evening.
Questions:
How many do you need to accommodate in Sydney?
How close to the centre do you need to be?
How long to you need it for?
Speak later!
Old May 2nd 2008, 9:44 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

£40 per night is b***y low, not high!
Old May 5th 2008, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Best Places to say in Sydney:confused:

Did the campervan thing in NZ...and have friends who did it in OZ. If you have a friend who has an Australian address look at joining 'The Big 4' club. Membership is very reasonable and gives you privileges and discounts at all their campsites/holiday parks....most of which are EXCELLENT...some even have powered and ensuite sites for your tent or van!!?? There are sites/parks all over Oz. http://www.big4.com.au/public/

HOWEVER a campervan to get around and stay in central Sydney...I don't think so. I have to feed my children now before they mutiny but will try to give you some more specific pointers about apartments in Sydney later this evening.
Questions:
How many do you need to accommodate in Sydney?
How close to the centre do you need to be?
How long to you need it for?
Speak later!
It will just be me for the accommodation, Im travelling solo so I don't lose focus on the business. As far as I know all the footwear companies are in and around the city so as long as there are good public transport I dont mind being out of the immediate centre. I will probably need the place in Sidney for 2-3 weeks depending on how much luck I get with the businesses. Then I plan on traveling around to al the other major cities to do the same there. Thanks
Old May 5th 2008, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wol
£40 per night is b***y low, not high!
Seriously? so if i stayed for a month that would be £1200 on a place to stay. Woo. Ok thanks for your help, I gotta go earn more money now.
Old May 5th 2008, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Seriously? so if i stayed for a month that would be £1200 on a place to stay. Woo. Ok thanks for your help, I gotta go earn more money now.
Some of the hostels in bondi or the CBD have private rooms. Even the YHA in Sydney does private rooms I believe. Could be your cheapest option......
Old May 6th 2008, 9:30 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Just beware that the Pope will be making an appearance for world youth day.
http://www.wyd2008.org/index.php/en
15 - 20 July.
An estimated 125,000 visitors.