Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is the *real* baggage allowance?!

What is the *real* baggage allowance?!

Old May 19th 2005, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

KafkaSong is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow What is the *real* baggage allowance?!

Guys,

We are hoping to fly off to Melbourne (fingers crossed) on Saturday, flying Singapore Airlines from Manchester. Just weighing some of my luggage now, my 2 cases come to around 47kg, so a bit more to ditch, and my hand luggage is around 10kg.

My question is, does anyone know what the actual baggage allowance is? In other words has anyone got in for free -on Singapore- with say 42kg and 9Kg luggage. Just wondering how far I can push it above 42kg before they start ratcheting up the costs.

I'm hoping there is some discretionary, unwritten, rule where they allow a little bit more than 40kg.

Any help will be gratefully received!!
Cheers
CHRIS
Old May 19th 2005, 2:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the *real* baggage allowance?!

Originally Posted by KafkaSong
Guys,

We are hoping to fly off to Melbourne (fingers crossed) on Saturday, flying Singapore Airlines from Manchester. Just weighing some of my luggage now, my 2 cases come to around 47kg, so a bit more to ditch, and my hand luggage is around 10kg.

My question is, does anyone know what the actual baggage allowance is? In other words has anyone got in for free -on Singapore- with say 42kg and 9Kg luggage. Just wondering how far I can push it above 42kg before they start ratcheting up the costs.

I'm hoping there is some discretionary, unwritten, rule where they allow a little bit more than 40kg.

Any help will be gratefully received!!
Cheers
CHRIS
Bear in mind that 20kg is the normal allowance; to get 40, as a migrant, they are already being more generous than they have to be.
Many people will have boarded with more than that - I flew Cathay and had 48kg plus heaven knows what weight of hand luggage, jackets, wearing three jumpers, plus several books in my arms "to read on board"!!
HOWEVER - this is down to the discretion of the check-in staff on the day. If you get a new staff member, they will probably stick to the rules, especially if there is a supervisor around. More experienced staff may make a judgement based on the number of people booked on the flight, amount of freight booked, etc - they generally know hpw much they canplay with. Above all else, be polite and friendly throughout your check-in procedure - if you aren't, there is no way they will bend the rules.

If flying from Heathrow or Gatwick, and probably some others, Excess Baggage Co have offices in the terminals - might be worth checking before you go, then if the airline refuse to carry the extra weight, you can buy another bag and send it by air or sea with them.

Be nice, cross your fingers, and smile sweetly, but I wouldn't push the weight up any more than it is now.
Good luck!!
Old May 19th 2005, 2:48 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the *real* baggage allowance?!

We had loads more than we should have and if the flight had been fully booked would have paid huge amounts for the extra, but, luckily for us, the plane was half empty so we got away with it

Louise
Old May 19th 2005, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

axl rose is on a distinguished road
Default baggage allowance on a 457 visa

I am going over to Australia on a 457 visa (originally planned for 2 years). I was informed that the luggage allowance was 20kg each and that this would only be increased if you were going over on PR.

My visa has since been increased to 4 years, so I contacted my airline Singapore Airlines to see if this made a difference. They have just emailed me the following:
"Thank you for your email regarding extra baggage allowance. Authorisation has been added to your booking for the outbound flights only for your allowance to be increased to 35kgs each. You will also be entitled to 1 piece of hand luggage at 7kgs."

Hope this helps anyone on a 457 visa