Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

forum newbie intro

forum newbie intro

Old May 18th 2005, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

vespasian is on a distinguished road
Default forum newbie intro

Hi, We are emigrating to Adelaide on an SIR visa, processing complete and have just sent $100k bonus points bonds to SAFA. Anyone else living in or going to South Australia?
Old May 18th 2005, 6:28 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: forum newbie intro

Originally Posted by vespasian
Hi, We are emigrating to Adelaide on an SIR visa, processing complete and have just sent $100k bonus points bonds to SAFA. Anyone else living in or going to South Australia?
Hi
just wanted to welcome you,Im sure you'll get a lot of replies regarding people off/in Adelaide...We're heading for Perth (fingers crossed)
Old May 18th 2005, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

hi there,and welcome to the mad house you ll find some good info on here and make some lovely friends good luck,we re off to brissy by the way.

tracey
Old May 18th 2005, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome!!! you will get all the help & info you need here

All the best

Sue
Old May 18th 2005, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ransi
Hi
just wanted to welcome you,Im sure you'll get a lot of replies regarding people off/in Adelaide...We're heading for Perth (fingers crossed)

Thanks for your welcome message.

Perth was our original choice and we visited there in December (loved it), however the SIR visa allows for regional migration only, with Adelaide being the only major city in this category. Luckily for us Adelaide came a close second to Perth and we can't wait to get there now
Old May 18th 2005, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

JAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant future

We have been told we would have to take the same route as our only option to migrate.
Any info on Adelaide Greatly received
Old May 18th 2005, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the big move. We're going to Brisbane but I'm sure there's loads on here going to Adelaide.
Tracey.
Old May 18th 2005, 7:07 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

Hopefully there will me me, hubby, Jonah & the new baby heading for the Gold Coast.....

Welcome!

Claire
x
Old May 18th 2005, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAR123
We have been told we would have to take the same route as our only option to migrate.
Any info on Adelaide Greatly received
Adelaide is a really nice city, not as dynamic as Perth, Melbourne or Sydney, however it comes a very close second and in some ways has a better environment in which to start a new life. (Watch out for great white sharks, as I witnessed the aftermath of a young lad being taken by two sharks on the day I arrived - I was scared to get in the swimming pool the day after that)

Both my wife and I are 40 years of age and have a 15 year old daughter. We are migrating on a general skills visa, but due the points threshold increase in April last year, together with our age we had no option other that to opt for the SIR sponsorship route. A lot of work (telephone book of paperwork) but we made it .
Old May 18th 2005, 10:30 pm
wombat42

Adelaide is a really nice city, not as dynamic as Perth, Melbourne or Sydney, however it comes a very close second and in some ways has a better environment in which to start a new life. (Watch out for great white sharks, as I witnessed the aftermath of a young lad being taken by two sharks on the day I arrived - I was scared to get in the swimming pool the day after that.
Its safe to swim at Adelaide beaches . Hundreds of thousands of people go swimming there every year and the last shark death was in 1977.
l read an article that between the last shark death on an Adelaide beach in 1977 and the latest one last year , 15,000 people had been killed on Adelaide (South Australia's) roads which puts the danger into perspective.

Old May 19th 2005, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

G'day m8 how ya goin? No worries eh! OMG only been here 7 months and already talking like an ozzy!

Welcome to one of the most additive forums on-line! Only hope you are on Broadband or else you could be digging into those funds for Aus!

Hope you hear soon, good luck when you move to Adelaide. There are loads of people living there already that frequent this forum so sure some more will respond.

Take care
Gill
Old May 19th 2005, 3:10 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Hi guys,

Hopefully there will me me, hubby, Jonah & the new baby heading for the Gold Coast.....

Welcome!

Claire
x

........ followed by me and my lot ?!?

Welcome
Old May 19th 2005, 3:23 am
ABCDiamond

Have you seen the Adelaide forum yet ? http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits/

Old May 19th 2005, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by wombat42
Its safe to swim at Adelaide beaches . Hundreds of thousands of people go swimming there every year and the last shark death was in 1977.
l read an article that between the last shark death on an Adelaide beach in 1977 and the latest one last year , 15,000 people had been killed on Adelaide (South Australia's) roads which puts the danger into perspective.
Wombat,

I think that the statistics that you have quoted for road deaths could be mirrored by most major world cities and I take your point. However when getting into my car, I do so to get from point a to b as a rule and I generally feel safe doing so.

When getting into the sea I like most others do so to enjoy a swim, without the prospect of being eaten alive. I personally witnessed seeing one of the two white pointers some 30yds from the beach, hugging the sand bank looking for its next victim no doubt. One of the locals advised me that he had lived on the beach for over 25 yrs and had never seen a Great White so close.

For me there is no comfort in the rareness of such attacks and if ever faced by a white pointer whilst swimming off Glenelg, I would be too busy shitting my trunks to remind it that statistically this shoud'nt be happening.