Reload this Page >

Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Old Aug 4th 2011, 11:14 am
Just Joined

normanstanleyfletcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Twinsdad,

Yes thanks, gave them a bell that same night. The woman I spoke to re-assured me that they were trawling through applications slowly due to local recruitment drive, and that she was sure they would be in touch. her advice was to be patient and wait. She took my name nonetheless and said she would check that the application had indeed got through to them - quite how I'll find that out without ringing back though is a mystery, as there was a hint that ringing back wouldn't achieve much.

She couldn't offer a reason why somebody else who applied circa the same time had already had their application advanced, so kinda hit a brick wall there.

I have resolved to submit a new application in due course and see what happens. I will be 40 in Dec '12 so need to get a move on really.

NSF
Old Aug 4th 2011, 11:35 am
Perth WA

Twinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by normanstanleyfletcher
Twinsdad,

Yes thanks, gave them a bell that same night. The woman I spoke to re-assured me that they were trawling through applications slowly due to local recruitment drive, and that she was sure they would be in touch. her advice was to be patient and wait. She took my name nonetheless and said she would check that the application had indeed got through to them - quite how I'll find that out without ringing back though is a mystery, as there was a hint that ringing back wouldn't achieve much.

She couldn't offer a reason why somebody else who applied circa the same time had already had their application advanced, so kinda hit a brick wall there.

I have resolved to submit a new application in due course and see what happens. I will be 40 in Dec '12 so need to get a move on really.

NSF
I get the feeling they're swamped and overworked - although I've only got the last hurdle to get over, the video conference, I'm trying to adjust my mindset and settling in for the long haul. Are you aware that the maximum visa age has been raised to 50 ?
Old Aug 4th 2011, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard that there's been a surge in enrolments in the paramedicine course at uni here. I know that it takes a while to train, but there might be a lot more locally-trained paramedics here in a few years. I don't know if the degree gets shortened if you have other qualifications and experience?
Old Aug 4th 2011, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

normanstanleyfletcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Twinsdad - hey I didn't know the visa age had been upped! thats good news from my perspective - even so, the sooner the better methinks.

HelenTD - would have thought that if the uni degree courses in perth are gonna follow any kinda UK experiences, then i suspect that in time they'll shorten the course length for sure!

NSF
Old Aug 4th 2011, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

CMcC is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Originally Posted by HelenTD
I've heard that there's been a surge in enrolments in the paramedicine course at uni here. I know that it takes a while to train, but there might be a lot more locally-trained paramedics here in a few years. I don't know if the degree gets shortened if you have other qualifications and experience?
Well in my case being an irish tech/paramediccy person (similar to uk tech) there is rpl for experience and learning so they start u as a grade II ambo officer and the paramedical sciences degree takes two years to complete from there. Sponsorship is for two years also, then reviewed after the two.

If anyone is hoping to get the process hurried up it may be worth going over there for a week or two and organise to finish the application process in aus. That way u get to suss out ur potential new home as well....just a thought and it worked for me!
Old Aug 11th 2011, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Goodbye uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Got an email today regarding telephone interview so things starting to move along now. Its looking like its going to take many months to go through the whol process. Im going to use the time to do some serious research and of course some serious penny saving. Its hard to wait month after month but before you know it we'll all be rushing around trying to sort things out " last minute " Have to admit, at risk of sounding a bit sadistic, Im really looking forward to the whole interview process.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

michael999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck 'Goodbye UK', let us know how you got on. If it helps, my interview was very friendly, I didn't feel at all pressured. The only niggle was the folk from St.J didn't phone when they said - it was about an hour and a half later so I was full of tea and had paced myself dizzy waiting for the phone to ring So don't fret if the call doesn't come at the right time.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 9:00 am
Perth WA

Twinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud of

Got an email asking me to confirm my availability for video conference next week ! Anyone got any hints or suggestions ? What's the format, questions etc etc ??
Old Aug 17th 2011, 9:09 am
Account Closed

hater is an unknown quantity at this point

Questions are HR-questions only. Some of them are the typical STAR-questions, some are just about career-planing and the visa...

The VC-System itself works pretty well (or did it for me) but remember to look in the camera and not the screen and remember the transmission delay

Last edited by hater; Aug 17th 2011 at 9:13 am.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 9:22 am
Perth WA

Originally Posted by hater
Questions are HR-questions only. Some of them are the typical STAR-questions, some are just about career-planing and the visa...

The VC-System itself works pretty well (or did it for me) but remember to look in the camera and not the screen and remember the transmission delay
Thanks for that - what are STAR questions ??
Old Aug 17th 2011, 9:30 am
Account Closed

hater is an unknown quantity at this point

S – Situation, background set the scene

T – Task or Target, specifics of what's required, when, where, who

A – Action, what you did, skills used, behaviours, characteristics

R – Result – Outcome, what happened

http://www.sentient-recruitment.com/star-method.html
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 1:52 pm
Perth WA

I was supposed to have my video conference this morning - turned up all bright eyed and the first thing the receptionist said was "I haven't used this equipment before" - it all went downhill from there really She had to 'phone someone to ask them how to turn the equipment on !! I was sat there with a sinking feeling and thinking to myself this is going to go well. Anyway, after an hour of her fiddling with the equipment and phoning her mates up I phoned HR at St Johns WA - on my mobile !! Was talking to them when my credit ran out Now waiting to re-book. Isn't this fun..........
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

michael999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Twinsdad that sounds like a total nightmare. I presume this was a business conference centre you were sent to? You would honestly think they would know how to operate their own equipment - why that would be like the ambo service just sticking new kit on the ambulance and not training the.......er, wait thats not a good example! Good luck for next time, don't let this get you down.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Zuluman7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh the joys of a brighter future WA!! Chin up Twinsdad hopefully get sorted really quickly now
Michael have you heard any more yet ?

Last edited by Zuluman7; Aug 22nd 2011 at 4:32 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 6:11 pm
Perth WA

Thanks guys
Mixed emotions really at the moment, on the one hand I'm aware that compared to some I'm pretty lucky to have got this far in 'only' four months when a lot of people have been processing their applications for very much longer; but then again I was really psyched up this morning and looking forward to the application process being pretty much over and then hopefully getting down to some serious planning. When I realised it had gone belly-up I felt massively deflated. Is it just me or does anyone else find this nerve wracking ? The business centre said they'd lost some staff, have lots of new staff that weren't fully trained, were checking their equipment blah blah blah. I didn't say anything but did want to swear a lot
Hey ho - back to checking my emails as soon as I wake up every morning or last thing at the end of nights
By the way - would be good to have some feedback from guys out there about the day to day life as an Aussie 'ambo', how they've found settling in, finding somewhere to live etc etc. If we do get out there we'll all have to hook up for a beer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.