British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/western-australia-ambulance-service-sjaa-675341/)

hater Jul 5th 2010 10:20 pm

Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Hey,
just wondered if there are any Medics vom SJAA WA here.
I'm currently preparing my application and got some questions;)

Bye,
Phil

I wan tee go oz Jul 28th 2010 10:06 pm

Re: Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Be great to get a thread here as well read and popular as ASNSW and QAS. Very interested in what WA ambulance service has to offer.
Although not as much info on WA Amb serv compared to the others.
Be great to hear anyones thoughts.

John_R Jul 30th 2010 10:35 pm

I went through the appilcation and was processed as an ICP and was going to Broome, which I asked for. But QLD processed my application the quickest so here I am :)

John

I wan tee go oz Jul 30th 2010 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by John_R (Post 8741353)
I went through the appilcation and was processed as an ICP and was going to Broome, which I asked for. But QLD processed my application the quickest so here I am :)

John

Hi John, thanks for the info.
Do SJA WA sponsor in international applicants as QAS and ASNSW do?
How did you find their application process?
I'm currently awaiting the LA for ASNSW to be renewed, but as it's taking so long, I'm seeking other options, just incase things don't work out.
Having been to Perth, Sydney and Brisbane, it's always going to be a tough choice of services! :)

John_R Jul 30th 2010 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by I wan tee go oz (Post 8741379)
Hi John, thanks for the info.
Do SJA WA sponsor in international applicants as QAS and ASNSW do?
How did you find their application process?
I'm currently awaiting the LA for ASNSW to be renewed, but as it's taking so long, I'm seeking other options, just incase things don't work out.
Having been to Perth, Sydney and Brisbane, it's always going to be a tough choice of services! :)

Hi Mate

I applied for all 3 at the same time (NSW, QLD, WA). The process was painfully slowish, but I was in oz within 11 mths of applying. At the time, 2007, WA where sponsouring UK paramedics, I'm not sure what the situation is now thou. The process was fairly simple, application form with supporting documentation, then a telephone conference interview was organised.

John

I wan tee go oz Aug 3rd 2010 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by John_R (Post 8741456)
Hi Mate

I applied for all 3 at the same time (NSW, QLD, WA). The process was painfully slowish, but I was in oz within 11 mths of applying. At the time, 2007, WA where sponsouring UK paramedics, I'm not sure what the situation is now thou. The process was fairly simple, application form with supporting documentation, then a telephone conference interview was organised.

John

Thanks for your info John.
Slow seems the Oz way! :cool:
All the best to you in sunny QLD :)

wazzerx Aug 10th 2010 2:29 pm

Advice needed on St John's ambulance, please.

Hi,

I am a registered paramedic, working for a UK ambulance trust.

My wife and I are looking at moving to WA, transferring as a para. Could anyone tell me what the recruitment time usually is, (application and certificates in as we speak).
Do they help with the move with regards to costs etc.

What is the wage for a para with six year's experience?

I understand the work is different to the UK, they like to take more people in rather than treat at home!

Its just the quality of life we are looking at, for our two young girls, 3 and 19 months.

If anyone could answer some, if not all of the questions we would be very grateful.

Thanks

I wan tee go oz Aug 10th 2010 6:59 pm

Re: Advice needed on St John's ambulance, please.

Originally Posted by wazzerx (Post 8766514)
Hi,

I am a registered paramedic, working for a UK ambulance trust.

My wife and I are looking at moving to WA, transferring as a para. Could anyone tell me what the recruitment time usually is, (application and certificates in as we speak).
Do they help with the move with regards to costs etc.

What is the wage for a para with six year's experience?

I understand the work is different to the UK, they like to take more people in rather than treat at home!

Its just the quality of life we are looking at, for our two young girls, 3 and 19 months.

If anyone could answer some, if not all of the questions we would be very grateful.

Thanks

Hi, there is a new thread about this, unsure how to put in a link here, but if you search 'western australia ambulance service' or 'SJAA' it should show up.
I've recently applied and i'm in the early stages of recruitment, I'm hoping to find out in the next week or so pretty much all the info you want answering here.
Pay seems to be around $67000 p.a, dont know if that includes O/T and shift penalties etc. I do know they take on ambulance officers (Techs) and they also have an ICP level.
I'm after same as you, lifestyle would be great as have 3 kids under 6.

Phil :)

wazzerx Aug 10th 2010 7:04 pm

Thanks Phil Ill have a look at it, are you sfter WA or elsewhere mate

moneypenny20 Aug 11th 2010 7:16 am

Threads merged

I wan tee go oz Aug 25th 2010 1:17 am

Originally Posted by wazzerx (Post 8767196)
Thanks Phil Ill have a look at it, are you sfter WA or elsewhere mate

Hi. looked all over Aus to be honest.
WA seem very keen to recruit at present.
In the process of going thro WA recruitment at the mo

I wan tee go oz Sep 17th 2010 9:25 pm

SJA WA seem to move fast....had med testing today, luckily at a physio place not far from where I live :)
Psych testing to be done soon! :eek:

Fingers crossed for everyone else in same boat :fingerscrossed:

I wan tee go oz Dec 24th 2010 9:51 pm

Hi, Ukparamedic818 and rootbeerfloat.

Telephone interview wasn't as bad as I thought, was a bit of a crackly line with a slight delay and I could hear my voice echo down the line :rofl:

There were 2 or 3 asking q's, clinical management such as how would you deal with a given scenario, there are also q's such as why do you want to be a para etc. Pretty much the ususal stuff. Didn't have any problem with language barrier, they said we don't need to know their scope of practice, had a feeling they knew ours, eg JRCALC, and expect us to know it well!
Was well explained beforehand!
After phone interview it was medical/fitness test then psychometric testing, and finished with a teleconference/webcam interview all spread over 2 months.

They seem v.good at getting things sorted and e-mailed me often.

Hope thats helped you, and happy xmas to you all :)

ukparamedic818 Dec 29th 2010 7:55 pm

Thanks for this, i´ll keep you posted on how i get on. No date yet for the interview but they were looking at early new year so i´ll let you know!

I wan tee go oz Feb 9th 2011 7:28 pm

Visas granted!!! :thumbsup:
Fly out in 5 weeks, ready to start work early April :eek:

Happy days! :D

Hope everyone else getting on ok!