Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Old Feb 9th 2011, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of
Default Re: Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Originally Posted by I wan tee go oz
Visas granted!!!
Fly out in 5 weeks, ready to start work early April

Happy days!

Hope everyone else getting on ok!
Excellent news mate, well done

John
Old Feb 12th 2011, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Para199 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

I am a UK Paramedic (2 yrs post qual) with Clinical Tutorship experience looking at SJA in WA over the next two years or so. Just sticking my head in to say hello, and monitoring all this for future reference!

Dave
Old Feb 12th 2011, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

SJA WA...

Taxi!
Old Feb 12th 2011, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

I wan tee go oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eddie007
SJA WA...

Taxi!
Same as the UK then?
Old Feb 12th 2011, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by John_R
Excellent news mate, well done

John
Cheers!
Hope you are enjoying it all!
Old Feb 12th 2011, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Same as the UK then?
Would rather not be in the Cities.... rural will suit me fine....!
Old Feb 12th 2011, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Para199
Would rather not be in the Cities.... rural will suit me fine....!
can you fly a plane then?
Old Feb 13th 2011, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

The plane has only a doctor,nurse and pilot on board.

Had the pleasure of being on the super cramped RFDS at Christmas with my daughter. You would seriously need to like flying to go on that thing regular.
Noisy,very cramped and can be jumpy

Choose a bigger rural town and they have a SJA office with proper ambulance crews. Used this at Christmas for hospital transfer, v professional and new ambulance vans.

St Johns Ambulance and RFDS gets from me

Gems
Old Feb 13th 2011, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of

Hi All,

I am a UK Paramedic (2 yrs post qual) with Clinical Tutorship experience looking at SJA in WA over the next two years or so. Just sticking my head in to say hello, and monitoring all this for future reference!

Dave
Hi Dave

the window of opportunity for state sponsorship are slowly but surely closing down. You need to grab it now unless you have skills or relatives that can get you a visa.

John
Old Feb 13th 2011, 10:26 am
Just Joined

Thanks all,

No, I don't fly planes.... have fallen out of a couple though. Bigger rural would be fine, just not really a city person.

A colleague of mine is on her way over for a career break with SJA for 18 months, and we will be flying over for a holiday later this year.

Would love to drop everything and run now, but everything takes time! Plus the fact that my main breadwinner and better half has to finish off her contract here...

Dave
Old Feb 13th 2011, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all,

No, I don't fly planes.... have fallen out of a couple though. Bigger rural would be fine, just not really a city person.

A colleague of mine is on her way over for a career break with SJA for 18 months, and we will be flying over for a holiday later this year.

Would love to drop everything and run now, but everything takes time! Plus the fact that my main breadwinner and better half has to finish off her contract here...

Dave
Hi Dave,

John is right, it seems QAS have scaled back recruitment, NSW amb serv still can't sponsor in international applicants, this has been on hold for 18months now. WA seem to be the main sponsor now.
From applying to WA and getting job offer took 5 months, which flew by!
Applications open until March

Phil
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

holly32 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is probably a stupid question and I am expecting the answer to be no but do the Australian ambulance services (in any state) except oversees applicants onto their trainee schemes in order to become a paramedic.

I currently have no qualifications in this area. I would be looking to move over in about 1.5 years when I am finished my current degree in college. By then I would be able to complete a private EMT course and have some experience with a voluntary ambulance service.

Thanks
Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by holly32
This is probably a stupid question and I am expecting the answer to be no but do the Australian ambulance services (in any state) except oversees applicants onto their trainee schemes in order to become a paramedic.

I currently have no qualifications in this area. I would be looking to move over in about 1.5 years when I am finished my current degree in college. By then I would be able to complete a private EMT course and have some experience with a voluntary ambulance service.

Thanks
Hi, not a stupid question at all! But I would think that you would have to at least have a student visa to study in Australia to be considered. My advice is to contact SJA WA direct and any other services in Aus to get a straight answer.

Phil
Old Feb 16th 2011, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

emms21uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Ukparamedic818 and rootbeerfloat.

Telephone interview wasn't as bad as I thought, was a bit of a crackly line with a slight delay and I could hear my voice echo down the line

There were 2 or 3 asking q's, clinical management such as how would you deal with a given scenario, there are also q's such as why do you want to be a para etc. Pretty much the ususal stuff. Didn't have any problem with language barrier, they said we don't need to know their scope of practice, had a feeling they knew ours, eg JRCALC, and expect us to know it well!
Was well explained beforehand!
After phone interview it was medical/fitness test then psychometric testing, and finished with a teleconference/webcam interview all spread over 2 months.

They seem v.good at getting things sorted and e-mailed me often.

Hope thats helped you, and happy xmas to you all

Congrats on getting the job!

I have applied for SJA and so far been selected for telephone interview (yay!) in a couple of weeks time....
I was just wondering if you can tell me what kind of scenario questions they asked you? Any advice you can give would be V much appreciated!!
Old Feb 19th 2011, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

tentoesover is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all, this is directed to I wan tee go OZ (or anyone else with experience with this), I am a Canadian paramedic, and just completed my video conference and I am awaiting a response for a job offer from the Metro Perth Service (SJAA). Just curious how long it was before you heard back from them? My interview was approx a week and a half a go and the family and I are biting our respective nails. Thanks for any help.

Garrett.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.