Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We're here! 2nd instalment.

We're here! 2nd instalment.

Old Oct 21st 2006, 9:55 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We're here! 2nd instalment.

Julie, just read your thread with interest. I suppose it is everybodys worry about getting employment if you havent already got a job to go to. Keep thinking positive and keep trying, i am sure something will turn up if you keep at it. I just wanted to say good luck to you all.

Nev
Old Oct 21st 2006, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future

Julie, if your husband hasn't already done it, get him to contact some of his old telecoms people back home, if he's worked for any of the big companies theres usually a contact around who knows of someone in OZ.

For instance I am in Telecoms (Avaya) and people here (uk) know people there who work for that company in oz and they do it all on the grapevine they just get monkeys applying from the papers (I spoke to an OZ account manager and he said as far as he is concerned its a waste of time, he reckoned he did over 600 CVs and they werre ALL speculative from people who had zero knowledge of telecoms) so maybe your husbands CV is getting lost under all the dross.

You've probably already exhausted these avenues but if not its always best in my opinion to get hold of the account managers and field engineers as they go to all the sites and they can usually get you in just by saying they know you.

Best of luck I'm sure it'll work out.

Regards
Old Oct 21st 2006, 10:43 pm
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
Hi everyone,
Well, a lot of you found my last thread helpful so here's a further update:

Been here for 7 weeks now.
He also sent his cv into various job agencies but they've not got back to him either.

Julie. x
Julie,
With the labour hire companies, don't sit back and wait. Like everyone else in Qld, they are laid back to the point of being almost horizontal. Ring them everyday, and I mean every. They get loads of jobs in all the time.This is the only way to get your foot in the door with them. Once you get noticed to the point of getting work, they will be ringing you offering work.
I did this, and it got so bad, I had to change my mobile number as I got between 15-20 calls ever week.
Give it a go and hope some success comes from it.

Neil
Old Oct 21st 2006, 11:31 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your advice everyone. Have given it all to hubby, so he will sit down tomorrow and work through the other ways to make them notice him.
Will keep you posted.
Julie. x
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 2:43 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck with the job situation, Julie: it will all come good in the end.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 5:34 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Great honest post..... Good luck. C x