Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We're going home.....!!!

Wikiposts

We're going home.....!!!

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 12:48 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We're going home.....!!!

Originally Posted by Bix
Give me a log cabin, a packet of biscuits and a woman
I don't think Bix da Boss will allow that - you know she does not like you eating biscuits
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Just because I'm interested, actually sod it, cos I'm a sticky beak, are you planning on going back to the same town you came from or somewhere else in the UK.

I run every scenario through my head (generally at 2am ) and just can't see that if we do come back we would ever be able to afford to live in this town or even if we would want to, but can't think of anywhere else
Hi Sticky Beak.....

Yeah now probs....Yeah we plan to go back where we came from. Been lucky in that we have made a bit of money on our gaff here and the exchange rate has been good to us. Listen, I think life would be good here if you wanted it to be, we just miss the UK too much and the standard of living we enjoyed. Again, just our opinion, this is how we found it.

Take care all

IJ
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 12:59 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Innyjim
.....and you need the woman to open the packet of biscuits yeah.......?
What else is a woman good for ?

Good luck in your next adventure IJ
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 1:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sticky Beak.....

Yeah now probs....Yeah we plan to go back where we came from. Been lucky in that we have made a bit of money on our gaff here and the exchange rate has been good to us. Listen, I think life would be good here if you wanted it to be, we just miss the UK too much and the standard of living we enjoyed. Again, just our opinion, this is how we found it.

Take care all

IJ

Good luck to you. In a few months, it will be like you never went away, except for all the great and not so great memories.

Enjoy whatever life throws at you
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bix
What else is a woman good for ?

Good luck in your next adventure IJ
Thanks man !

Your signature reminds me of a story I heard about two lesbians, naked in the back of van. They had a great night.....
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 1:18 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DagBoy
I don't think Bix da Boss will allow that - you know she does not like you eating biscuits
Only 'cos he drops crumbs on the floor of the log cabin.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

steven'n'debi will become famous soon enoughsteven'n'debi will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: We're going home.....!!!

Originally Posted by Badge
If I knew I was going to earn in dollars what I earnt in pounds I might have thought twice in the first place, years ago. But as my housing is subsidised here it might have been worth it.

Badge
!

like i say its nothin to do with cash for me!! im happy with what i earn! i dont want to be a squillion air! if you want that life style go to south africa!!

i just dont want to get out my bed in the mornin and! moan cos its pissin down, or the last thein the wind touched before my neck was a rekin ice berg in the north sea! or i have a bog houre in a nice street! where my nagbours arnet smak heads! so then my kids can play out side! where i can come home at night after a grsft and nit be locked in the house wi them cos its misserable!!

just the simple things i want!! fek dollars, you have to work, have to pay tax and bills, but your free time!! thats the important part!! and i want to utilise mine and no be stuck in a cold dark misserable place!!!!!
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

steven'n'debi will become famous soon enoughsteven'n'debi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Innyjim,

good luck to you and your's. You had 'The dream', you 'had a go' and it wasn't for you, so you're off back to the U.k.

Nothing to be ashamed of and everything to be proud of...many folks never even leave their 'comfort zone'.

Best wishes, x
but what was the dream???

to live the life of rayley? thats not a dream! thats just ignorance!!
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Red face Re: We're going home.....!!!

Hi Sticky Beak.....

Take care all

IJ
i just dont get it!!! whats to miss!! what? family yes! but im sure you knew you would before you left!!

but what else? the price of a loaf in asdas? think back to when you where leavin or you told all your pals you where goin! i bet my morgage they where all sick with envy and wanted to trade places!

think to how you felt the months and years leading up to goin! this country is totally finnished!!! totally!!

i just hate the thought of me goin home and thinkin what have i done!!

that appart good luck!!!!!
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SHARETRADER
Well as one who is still 'home' and exploring a move out let me try to talk you out of it.....

Where shall I start ....

...get your newspapers from all over the world online and avoid getting wet fetching them from the shop or the dubious pleasure of having them delivered minus the bits you really wanted to read ..and they are free

....comedy ,well true I doubt Aus as anything as funny as watching Tony Blair tell you how he is going to improve your lot whilst still leaving you with enough money to buy a pizza

..music ..I can't really comment as anything after 1975 I can't tell what they are saying

...radio...online from all over the world ..easy to find and costs nothing other than internet access

...Peter Kay and Jonathan Ross..well I can only say you must be really desperate for a laugh ...

OK,more seriously welcome back to yob land ,where the hospitals try hard ,but don't work very well ,where the teachers try just as hard ,but water won't run uphill ,where driving anywhere better become your most loved pastime because our roads have become the largest car parks in Europe...and there's more ...we don't create jobs anymore except in public service where we promise them future fixed benefits (pensions) which we actually can't afford to pay..think you know what your future pension benefits will be ...watch this space because you don't...no tax rises of course..why raise tax when you can raise National Insurance and half a dozen other charges which have the same effect of leaving you with less to spend on things of your choice...welcome back to a country where most of your choices and thinking will be done for you by daddy Gordon (Brown)..and just when you thought you were old enough to think for yourself.

I doubt I have persuaded you ,but nostalgia through rosy tinted glasses invariably doesn't result in greener grass ..if you don't have more serious reasons than those you gave why burn your bridges..keep your options open if you can..

Best wishes

Good reply,sending you karma
Lynn
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SHARETRADER
Well as one who is still 'home' and exploring a move out let me try to talk you out of it.....

OK,more seriously welcome back to yob land ,where the hospitals try hard ,but don't work very well ,where the teachers try just as hard ,but water won't run uphill ,where driving anywhere better become your most loved pastime because our roads have become the largest car parks in Europe...and there's more ...we don't create jobs anymore except in public service where we promise them future fixed benefits (pensions) which we actually can't afford to pay..think you know what your future pension benefits will be ...watch this space because you don't...no tax rises of course..why raise tax when you can raise National Insurance and half a dozen other charges which have the same effect of leaving you with less to spend on things of your choice...welcome back to a country where most of your choices and thinking will be done for you by daddy Gordon (Brown)..and just when you thought you were old enough to think for yourself.

I doubt I have persuaded you ,but nostalgia through rosy tinted glasses invariably doesn't result in greener grass ..if you don't have more serious reasons than those you gave why burn your bridges..keep your options open if you can..

Best wishes
Do you think nostalgia is working both ways here

Health care, if you move to aus you will end up paying for your health care unless you are extremely poor. Budget even for kids teeth and prescriptions let alone hospital.

Pensions What pension? have even a couple hundred tho in bank there is no pension, its asset tested in australia, most wont get it.

Roads lovely and empty outback, but whos going outback, Most cities are the same as UK, stuffed in rush hour.

Taxes, have you checked out that yet? Income tax is very high here.

Politicians!!!!!!!!, are you really hoping for an improvent, they have just raised interest rates, rates, land tax valuations, health care fees, backflipped on 3 election promises.

Drugs, 7 million Ecstacy tabs seized in 10 days, just in Melbourne. Havent seen a front page for 2 weeks that doesnt revolve around aussie drug smugglers.

Teachers, 1 in 40 off on compo! they do their hours and run, no dedication here whatsover. Education in our experince has been appaling.

Its all here too mate, how do people survive then? in any country people carve out a little nest, a day to day world of domestics and work where the headlines dont have time to affect them. They surround themselves with their family their issues, their own little world. It will be the same in aus, uk or afghanistan!

If your emigrating because of newspaper headlines you wont be happy in Australia either.

Oh and nearly forgot best of luck to innyjim
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 11:03 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Is Australia just like it is in the film "Chopper" or worse?.

anyone seen the documentry on melbourne - Romper Stomper?? It's a bit like that.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 11:07 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJJ
anyone seen the documentry on melbourne - Romper Stomper?? It's a bit like that.
Yeah!! Only worse
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:11 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Do you think nostalgia is working both ways here

Health care, if you move to aus you will end up paying for your health care unless you are extremely poor. Budget even for kids teeth and prescriptions let alone hospital.

Pensions What pension? have even a couple hundred tho in bank there is no pension, its asset tested in australia, most wont get it.

Roads lovely and empty outback, but whos going outback, Most cities are the same as UK, stuffed in rush hour.

Taxes, have you checked out that yet? Income tax is very high here.

Politicians!!!!!!!!, are you really hoping for an improvent, they have just raised interest rates, rates, land tax valuations, health care fees, backflipped on 3 election promises.

Drugs, 7 million Ecstacy tabs seized in 10 days, just in Melbourne. Havent seen a front page for 2 weeks that doesnt revolve around aussie drug smugglers.

Teachers, 1 in 40 off on compo! they do their hours and run, no dedication here whatsover. Education in our experince has been appaling.

Its all here too mate, how do people survive then? in any country people carve out a little nest, a day to day world of domestics and work where the headlines dont have time to affect them. They surround themselves with their family their issues, their own little world. It will be the same in aus, uk or afghanistan!

If your emigrating because of newspaper headlines you wont be happy in Australia either.

Oh and nearly forgot best of luck to innyjim
Some sound advice.

M