Reload this Page >

We're going home.....!!!

Wikiposts

We're going home.....!!!

Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:18 pm
Badge

Default Re: We're going home.....!!!

Originally Posted by BAY
You earn in dollars what you used to earn in pounds, but isn't the cost of living proportionally cheaper ?

If you've got an expensive mortgage wasn't that your chioce ? Buy a cheaper place with a cheaper mortgage.
Not at all. Think about it. Everyything, in terms of ticket price units, is more in Australia than in the UK. ie a car that is GPB20,000 will be say AUS40000, bread is 50p, might be 2-3 bucks here. If you earnt 30,000GBP in the UK, then 30,000 AUS is, by definition, not enough.

b

Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
The story about life that makes me smile is the one about two ladies I used to work with, one was harping on about the conservatory she was getting built and how she wanted it done for the "summer". Did she used it in the "summer", nupe. When I asked her she said she didn't have time as she wanted the living room painted before "Christmas" Needless to say once the living room had been done she had started on the spare room.

M
Commonly known as "arses?"!!!!!!

Have come across many of these in my time...

Also go by the name of " Mrs Bucket ( Bouquet ).......

God, innit great to be away???
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:34 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by steandleigh

I have to say living in Australia there are occasional Mrs B's but for the most Australian's seem less pre-occupied in material things and just get on with it.

My temporary return to the England has highlighted what a shallow place it has become, people are out for what they can get.

M

Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:35 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey!!! I'm desperate to have my kitchen done by xmas.

But thats because it doesnt even have any walls right now
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:36 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy

I guess walls are useful.

M

Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BAY
You earn in dollars what you used to earn in pounds, but isn't the cost of living proportionally cheaper ?

If you've got an expensive mortgage wasn't that your chioce ? Buy a cheaper place with a cheaper mortgage.
No, that's my point. It's a myth that the cost of living is cheaper here.

Yes it was out of choice that we took the mortgage we did, although I don't really think it's expensive, my point is that we had more spare money in the UK. We went out more, we spent more time as a family. When we make the choice to move here, how many of us did an average weekly shop in Coles and build that into our argument ? And what about the cost of paint in Bunno's....? :scared: You know what I'm saying.......... The sun ain't everything, it kills you you know.....

Take care all

IJ
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:38 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Some people are never satisfied.

You know the barbie needs a throudraft
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:41 pm
Badge

The only tings that genuinely seem cheaper are entertainment and eating out (some market sectors).

Most of the things I do don't cost much.

Badge

Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:43 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Innyjim

Yes it was out of choice that we took the mortgage we did, although I don't really think it's expensive, my point is that we had more spare money in the UK. We went out more, we spent more time as a family. When we make the choice to move here, how many of us did an average weekly shop in Coles and build that into our argument ? And what about the cost of paint in Bunno's....? :scared: You know what I'm saying.......... The sun ain't everything, it kills you you know.....

Take care all

IJ
For us we found Australia cheaper BUT on reflection that was after we had lived there for 7 years (17 for hubby), so we had two cars paid for and most other things in place.

Coming back to the UK we had to start again, I do feel like I am paying out bills and taxes left, right and centre but I am sure now we have done our 12 months we may get some respite and start to feel like we have a little for ourselves.

I think both places are on par and there is an adjustment to be had for anyone moving, all those lovely hidden costs!!!!

M

Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, Mrs D, kitchen walls are always good,.....matching doilleys (sp?) and tea-towels are NOT!!!!!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:56 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Some people are never satisfied.

You know the barbie needs a throudraft
Throudraft? its so draughty I cant even keep it alight

Hey, Mrs D, kitchen walls are always good,.....matching doilleys (sp?) and tea-towels are NOT!!!!!
I'd just be happy with somewhere to put doilleys & teatowels, matching or otherwise .
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:58 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by wmoore
Nail ... hitting ... head

You have the same philosophy as me by the sound of it. If you don't like something, ask yourself "Can I change it?". If you can then get on with it. If you can't, don't waste time and energy worrying about it.
Halleee....bloody...luuuuleah [sp? ]Agree entirely.

Aus is not IJ's cup-o-tea. No worries. That's how it goes. Some love it...some not.

It's only sad cos of the emotional turmoil involved and the cost of it all...but hey, it's not the end of the world. You CAN move back.

You're changing what you can...cos you can....rather than being miserable.

Good for you.......and the very best of luck

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 12:05 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Is someone going home then ?

Home is where the heart is.

So if the heart isn't at home, where is home, and how do we bring the heart back to it ?

Give me a log cabin, a packet of biscuits and a woman
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bix
Is someone going home then ?

Home is where the heart is.

So if the heart isn't at home, where is home, and how do we bring the heart back to it ?

Give me a log cabin, a packet of biscuits and a woman
.....and you need the woman to open the packet of biscuits yeah.......?
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 12:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Innyjim

Take care all

IJ

Just because I'm interested, actually sod it, cos I'm a sticky beak, are you planning on going back to the same town you came from or somewhere else in the UK.

I run every scenario through my head (generally at 2am ) and just can't see that if we do come back we would ever be able to afford to live in this town or even if we would want to, but can't think of anywhere else

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.