Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We're finally here in Brisbane!!!

We're finally here in Brisbane!!!

Old Nov 18th 2005, 12:46 am
Just Joined

Nic&Jon has a spectacular aura aboutNic&Jon has a spectacular aura aboutNic&Jon has a spectacular aura about
Default We're finally here in Brisbane!!!

Hi everyone,
Well the last couple of months have been mad but we are finally here. We thought selling our house, car, packing up our furniture for shipping and finding a home for our cat was hard but nothing prepared us for how hard it was to say goodbye to our friends and family. Nobody, including us believed we were going to go until that last day and let me tell you there were plenty of tears and lots of hugs and kisses. We did the right thing though by booking a hotel at Manchester airport the day before so we wouldnt have to say our goodbyes at the airport as I doubt we would have got on the plane.

We flew with singapore airlines who were fantastic. As we have come out on a 457 visa we couldnt get extra baggage allowance but i spoke to their customer service dept the day before who informed me that even though the baggage allowance is 20kg they do not charge excess baggage allowance up to 30kg so in effect we had 30kg each. I was paranoid with the weight of the hand luggage but they never checked that so I suppose we could have taken more with us.

On arriving on the Thursday night we done a bit of sightseeing then Jon was then at work on the Monday so it was up to me to look for a house. We originally done lots of research on the internet for areas to live and we definately wanted a house with a pool but they are pretty scarce at the moment. I cant tell you how many s**tholes i saw to rent and the prices they were charging. I saw one for $500pw for 3 beds with a pool and it was filthy with doors hanging off, bathrooms that were filthy. I began to feel a bit down but admittedly i was looking in the most expensive areas of the city so we decided to move further out.
I initially would love to move to ormiston, cleveland area but couldnt find any properties. We stumbled across one in Carina which is a place we had never heard of. But luckily it was in our budjet, with a pool and thankfully fully furnished which is ideal as our furniture willnot be arriving till the end of january.
Every weekend has been non stop. we eventually bought a car, computer and found a school for our son who has started this week even though they only have 3 weeks left till summer hols. He has just turned 6 and had started year 1 back home in sept but i found out he could have started year 1 in january this year in QLD so he may have to repeat the year 1 in January next year.
I am trying to give as much as advice to those who will be coming over but there is so much to go into and we have so far to go till we settle in and have everything sorted and after 5 weeks i am starting to feel slightlyu homesick and worrying about how we will manage at xmas.

time to go and have a swim in the pool (feels strange saying that in November) and thanks for listening.
Nic
Old Nov 18th 2005, 1:21 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: We're finally here in Brisbane!!!

Hi ya, sent you a PM.

Rich
Old Nov 18th 2005, 3:34 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done hope you settle well...you sound like you've fell on your feet with the house enjoy your pool... .
Old Nov 18th 2005, 5:22 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nic, I should almost say welcome neighbour as you are within spitting distance of us , there are plenty of us in the bayside area (you're close enough ) but Im probably the closest to you , the girls get together every week down here, if you want to come along everyone is welcome & plenty of us shop at Carindale if you want to meet up sometime while you are there.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 10:42 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you are starting settle Nic.
Keep us posted on how you're doing.
Julie.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 10:53 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
you are within spitting distance of us

I've told you to stop that.

Stop spitting at newcomers.

ADL
Old Nov 18th 2005, 1:43 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nic&Jon
Hi everyone,
Well the last couple of months have been mad but we are finally here. We thought selling our house, car, packing up our furniture for shipping and finding a home for our cat was hard but nothing prepared us for how hard it was to say goodbye to our friends and family. Nobody, including us believed we were going to go until that last day and let me tell you there were plenty of tears and lots of hugs and kisses. We did the right thing though by booking a hotel at Manchester airport the day before so we wouldnt have to say our goodbyes at the airport as I doubt we would have got on the plane.

We flew with singapore airlines who were fantastic. As we have come out on a 457 visa we couldnt get extra baggage allowance but i spoke to their customer service dept the day before who informed me that even though the baggage allowance is 20kg they do not charge excess baggage allowance up to 30kg so in effect we had 30kg each. I was paranoid with the weight of the hand luggage but they never checked that so I suppose we could have taken more with us.

On arriving on the Thursday night we done a bit of sightseeing then Jon was then at work on the Monday so it was up to me to look for a house. We originally done lots of research on the internet for areas to live and we definately wanted a house with a pool but they are pretty scarce at the moment. I cant tell you how many s**tholes i saw to rent and the prices they were charging. I saw one for $500pw for 3 beds with a pool and it was filthy with doors hanging off, bathrooms that were filthy. I began to feel a bit down but admittedly i was looking in the most expensive areas of the city so we decided to move further out.
I initially would love to move to ormiston, cleveland area but couldnt find any properties. We stumbled across one in Carina which is a place we had never heard of. But luckily it was in our budjet, with a pool and thankfully fully furnished which is ideal as our furniture willnot be arriving till the end of january.
Every weekend has been non stop. we eventually bought a car, computer and found a school for our son who has started this week even though they only have 3 weeks left till summer hols. He has just turned 6 and had started year 1 back home in sept but i found out he could have started year 1 in january this year in QLD so he may have to repeat the year 1 in January next year.
I am trying to give as much as advice to those who will be coming over but there is so much to go into and we have so far to go till we settle in and have everything sorted and after 5 weeks i am starting to feel slightlyu homesick and worrying about how we will manage at xmas.

time to go and have a swim in the pool (feels strange saying that in November) and thanks for listening.
Nic
Cheers for that. Really appreciate the info especially about the schools. My son is 8 in January and daughter is 4 1/2 just now. Any other snippets let us know.

Cheers and enjoy.

Ginny
Old Nov 18th 2005, 9:17 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A dogs life
I've told you to stop that.

Stop spitting at newcomers.

ADL
Well since I cant spit at new comers anymore, you're next on the list since you're not new anymore .

Why has that lovely wife of yours let you out of the kitchen anyway?
Old Nov 19th 2005, 12:06 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Well since I cant spit at new comers anymore, you're next on the list since you're not new anymore .

Why has that lovely wife of yours let you out of the kitchen anyway?

I had to do manly things today like disocnnecting old crappy dishwasher, and re-attaching new dishwasher (its harder than it sounds, the old one was practically welded in). And then take the old one to the dump, and then go buy another new one for the new house.

So as a treat for all my hard work, I get to use the internet for an hour
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 2:25 am
Just Joined

Nic&Jon has a spectacular aura aboutNic&Jon has a spectacular aura aboutNic&Jon has a spectacular aura about

Hi Nic, I should almost say welcome neighbour as you are within spitting distance of us , there are plenty of us in the bayside area (you're close enough ) but Im probably the closest to you , the girls get together every week down here, if you want to come along everyone is welcome & plenty of us shop at Carindale if you want to meet up sometime while you are there.

Hi everyone, thanks for the welcome.
I am only logging on the internet occassionally as we just have pre paid dial up at the mo' waiting to connect to broadband and as everyone knows it moves at a snails pace. It would be great to meet up with the girls. once im sorted with tinternet i'll put a post on.

nic