Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

were can i get a skype phone in cairns

were can i get a skype phone in cairns

Old Dec 8th 2008, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

rachaey has a spectacular aura aboutrachaey has a spectacular aura aboutrachaey has a spectacular aura about
Default were can i get a skype phone in cairns

hi, was woundering if anyone knows were in cairns i can get a mobile skype phone been hunting all day, can anyone give me a quick rundown on what skype is , i am a novice at this so thanks for any help,
cheers rach,
Old Dec 8th 2008, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: were can i get a skype phone in cairns

Originally Posted by rachaey
hi, was woundering if anyone knows were in cairns i can get a mobile skype phone been hunting all day, can anyone give me a quick rundown on what skype is , i am a novice at this so thanks for any help,
cheers rach,
I dont think Hutchison 3G Australia, who have a Skype phone, cover Cairns.

http://www.threeskypephone.com.au/faq.aspx "Skype will only work in 3's Broadband zone in Australia."

WW
Old Dec 8th 2008, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

fremantle will become famous soon enoughfremantle will become famous soon enough

I use Skype via my PC.I just have a special headset with a microphone attached, no special software required, just plug in and play. If the person you want to call via Skype is also on Skype the calls between the two of you are absolutely free. I am in the UK and talked on Skype to my Australian fiance for three and a half hours the other day for absolutely no cost whatsoever. So I don't think you need a phone, you should just be able to get a Skype compatible headset. It is also possible for you to use Skype to phone a landline which is also considerably cheaper than other methods. YOu just need to either buy credit to use on Skype or take out a cheap monthly subscription.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fremantle
I use Skype via my PC.I just have a special headset with a microphone attached, no special software required, just plug in and play. If the person you want to call via Skype is also on Skype the calls between the two of you are absolutely free. I am in the UK and talked on Skype to my Australian fiance for three and a half hours the other day for absolutely no cost whatsoever. So I don't think you need a phone, you should just be able to get a Skype compatible headset. It is also possible for you to use Skype to phone a landline which is also considerably cheaper than other methods. YOu just need to either buy credit to use on Skype or take out a cheap monthly subscription.
Really all you need are speakers and a microphone - headsets, headphones and mike, phone or built in to PC .

If you are using a laptop with a built in microphone you won't need anything extra other than free skype software download.

You can use a (cheap) webcam which has a microphone in it also. Even if you aren't using the camera bit you can still use the microphone and pcs own speakers.

Almost any headphones will work plugged into the computer headphone socket, but you'll still need a mike of some sort. I even tried a really old individual microphone plugged directly in.

Most people go for a USB headset (Corded or cordless) with microphone attached.

Next would be a USB phone (Corded or cordless) (try ebay??) I think Dick Smith had these do you have them in Cairns?

All the above need the computer on when using skype.

There are phones that plug into your modem and the computer doesn't need to be on at all. The obviously are more expensive but work as your landline phone too. Out of the major cities I think you'd have to mail order them.

Decide what set up you want and try some google searches for online retailers if your local electrical stores cant help.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:33 am
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rachaey
cheers rach,

Somewhere is Cairns Central must sell them. Try Officeworks, Dick Smiths, Tandy, etc. They will all sell them. If not I have one you can borrow temporarily.
Shaun