Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking a vehicle to oz.

Taking a vehicle to oz.

Old Dec 7th 2008, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

chrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to all
Default Taking a vehicle to oz.

Quick question, somebody has probably done this. Can you ship a vehicle from the UK to Australia without paying duty if it is for your own personal use. If so is there certain criteria that has to be met.
Thanks.
Chris.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 10:57 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Taking a vehicle to oz.

Even for personal use you still pay all the taxes and duty.

Quoted from the Karman Shipping website:
A guide to the costs (2008) would be:
UK Costs:
Shipping: £1,300–£1,400
Shipment protection: £100–£300

Australian Costs:
A$2,250–A$2,750
Plus taxes, annual registration and insurance.
Import Taxes on most cars are 10% Duty and 10% Gst.

plus any conversion costs to meet Australian standards etc.

Old Dec 7th 2008, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

And if it's a car that isn't ordinarily available over here, you may run into problems if you need any parts for it. A friend of mine brought over her Ford Galaxy (7-seater jobby) but when something "went" on it, she had to get her parents to buy it in the UK and mail it to her... it weighed a ton! (well, not literally, but you know what I mean)
Old Dec 7th 2008, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

VWPowered will become famous soon enoughVWPowered will become famous soon enough

umm why export a galaxy the mind boggles

now a nice hillman imp or something ohh yes please but a galaxy
Old Dec 7th 2008, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by VWPowered
umm why export a galaxy the mind boggles

now a nice hillman imp or something ohh yes please but a galaxy
I think it was because her DH's company were willing to ship it, to be honest. You don't seem to be able to get Zafira/Galaxy/people-carrier type cars here do you? DH & I have recently started looking at getting a car and if we want more than 5 seats, we'll have to get a "chelsea tractor"
Old Dec 7th 2008, 11:55 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by TillyG
I think it was because her DH's company were willing to ship it, to be honest. You don't seem to be able to get Zafira/Galaxy/people-carrier type cars here do you? DH & I have recently started looking at getting a car and if we want more than 5 seats, we'll have to get a "chelsea tractor"
I must be thinking of the wrong Ford Galaxy .....

Official Website of the Ford Galaxie Club of Australia Inc
http://www.galaxie.com.au/

Old Dec 8th 2008, 12:14 am
ABCDiamond

You don't seem to be able to get Zafira/Galaxy/people-carrier type cars here do you? DH & I have recently started looking at getting a car and if we want more than 5 seats, we'll have to get a "chelsea tractor"
Isn't the Ford Galaxy similar to the Toyota Tarago ?

Galaxy: http://www.carpages.co.uk/guide/ford...laxy-guide.asp

Tarago: http://www.discountnewcars.com.au/to...o/default.aspx

Old Dec 8th 2008, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Yep, saw the Toyota one on their website last night... so maybe it's just that around here that most people go for the SUV "monsters"
Old Dec 8th 2008, 12:30 am
ABCDiamond

Yep, saw the Toyota one on their website last night... so maybe it's just that around here that most people go for the SUV "monsters"
My wife was only just saying to me that we don't see many Toyota Taragos in our area in QLD, not like when we were in Sydney, when they were very popular.
But that was a few years back now, so maybe everyone is needing to buy bigger these days?

Old Dec 8th 2008, 12:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Read BigAPE's definitive guide (now 18 months old but still valid) for info on bringing the car over. I wouldn't bother, looks like way too much effort
Old Dec 8th 2008, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
My wife was only just saying to me that we don't see many Toyota Taragos in our area in QLD, not like when we were in Sydney, when they were very popular.
But that was a few years back now, so maybe everyone is needing to buy bigger these days?
Its a QLD thing. The Taragos have all become camp ers for Jucy.

Real men drive 4WDs.

WW
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

chrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to all

Yeh it seems like a lot of hassle, I was thinking of taking a Nissan Navara pick up, sorry, ute over cause they seem bloody expensive there.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:38 am
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

I was going to ship my beach buggy but didn't in the end because of the hassle's of registering it. I probably will do it one day though.
Shaun