Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We're being ripped off here!

Wikiposts

We're being ripped off here!

Old Jan 26th 2006, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We're being ripped off here!

Originally Posted by HUP
Yeah I agree with what you are saying. The fact is that there is not the population to support the competition required to have a serious and long term effect on prices. For the supermarkets to have the price drops it would require a couple of serious players to situp and say hey to hell with the massive profits we can make lets give the customers a go. Do we think thats gonna happen? Well I think in the short term then no it won't. In the longer term I think we will see some benifits as the competition increases. We are starting to see UK style moves in the credit card market.
prices in the UK started to go down when Wal-Mart came in and provided us with Asda!

Anyway, have emailed Tesco so just waiting for a response
Old Jan 26th 2006, 12:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HUP
Yeah I agree with what you are saying. The fact is that there is not the population to support the competition required to have a serious and long term effect on prices. For the supermarkets to have the price drops it would require a couple of serious players to situp and say hey to hell with the massive profits we can make lets give the customers a go. Do we think thats gonna happen? Well I think in the short term then no it won't. In the longer term I think we will see some benifits as the competition increases. We are starting to see UK style moves in the credit card market.
Me too HUP. It won't happen overnight.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by biggy
I have just done my shopping at Bilo no other big supermarkets within 30km radius so bit pricey

Red Capsicum $8.99 kilo
Green Capsicum $5.88 kilo
Mushrooms $7.98 kilo
Brown Onions $3.98 kilo
Washed potatoes 2.5 kilo bag $5.46

Noble Rise Wholemeal $2.78 on special
UP white bread $2.68 on special
1kg COON tasty cheese $6.99
You were robbed.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by glittababe
I did a shop online the other day at Woolworths and what a shocked. The VERY basic items (no meats etc) came to $245!!!!! That was mostly homebrand stuff too. It is a rip off, but good news is on the way, prices are due to get slashed cos Tesco's are on their way over to aus! Not sure how long it'll take but they've opened a new store in Malaysia already and the plans are there to take on the aus market! Bring it on! How did you find the self-service thing in tescos? You scan all your shopping then go to the self service till where you pay for it too, no checkout peeps needed! Much quicker.
for a family of three I rarely pay over $100 per week... and that includes meat.

Some department stores in Canberra have self service tills. Much faster.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I really believe that Australians just won't accept that they are getting ripped off unless they have visited the UK in the last 3 years or so.
In Australia I can get a great steak with chips/vegetables for lunch at the local club for only $5.95.

Where can i get that for less than 2.5 pounds in the UK? I'd love to know for my next visit.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by copa
In Australia I can get a great steak with chips/vegetables for lunch at the local club for only $5.95.

Where can i get that for less than 2.5 pounds in the UK? I'd love to know for my next visit.

Good point, service foods, eating in and taking out, does seem a rip off in the UK, when you consider that retail, and I assume wholesale food prices are similar. I dont see how the UK can claim higher property costs as a factor or wage costs for that matter, when it comes to the food industry. Especially if you compare say Liverpool, Birmingham or Manchester, to Sydney and Melbourne.

For the most part, on my recent visit I really did feel slightly ripped off evertime I purchased eating out food.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 7:27 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: We're being ripped off here!

Originally Posted by HUP
Yeah I agree with what you are saying. The fact is that there is not the population to support the competition required to have a serious and long term effect on prices. For the supermarkets to have the price drops it would require a couple of serious players to situp and say hey to hell with the massive profits we can make lets give the customers a go. Do we think thats gonna happen? Well I think in the short term then no it won't. In the longer term I think we will see some benifits as the competition increases.
Exactly.

Even Branson had to take some terrific losses while establishing the Virgin Blue brand. But he was prepared to absorb those losses, because he knew that all he had to do was hang on long enough to witness the demise of Ansett.

We are starting to see UK style moves in the credit card market.
Yes, but that's a bad thing. It's already too easy to get credit, and I don't believe it will be good for the economy if every Tom, Dick and Harry can phone up for a piece of plastic when he feels like it.

According to yesterday's episode of Beat the Bailiff, personal debt in the UK increases at the rate of £1 million every four minutes.

I don't want Australia ending up in the same boat.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jan 26th 2006 at 7:32 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Just take a look at this lot. These are a few prices that Mum sent me over the other day, after she'd done her food shop. Mums just gone back to the UK after spending 5 weeks with us here. She was shocked at how expensive it is here.

1 kg. carrots 29p.
Cucumber 44p. I PAID $1.98
1kg. onions 25p. RED ONIONS ARE $4.99 A KILO
medium-size cabbage 35p. I PAID $1.75 FOR HALF A CABBAGE
1kg. bananas 59p. $3.99 A KILO HERE
Carton cherry toms. 44p. I PAID $1.98 A SMALL PUNNET ON "SPECIAL"
2 baby lettuce hearts 44p. DON'T GET ME STARTED ON LETTUCE PRICES!
350.gm button mushrooms 40p. DON'T LIKE 'EM SO DUNNO
Medium-size broccoli 47p. $3.99 A KILO HERE
1kg. washed salad potatoes 54p. I PAID $6.95 A BAG
Frozen 9+lb. turkey on "special" £4.95. $14.99 A KILO OVER CHRISTMAS. I KNOW THEY HAVE TO BE IMPORTED BUT DO THEY HAVE TO FLY FIRST CLASS?

Where do they get off charging so much for food here? I still nearly hyperventilate over the price of a decent quality loaf of bread....$3.47 for Helga's. :scared:

Here we go again

1 Bedroom Apartment London

1 Bedroom Apartment Sydney

You sure we are being ripped off here ????

Check out the Big Mac index, this is the true indication purchasing-power parity Price of a Big Mac

I suppose it what we have to live with, it is a true statement of supply and demand if you dont pay the prices you dont get the goods, unfortunately you dont live in that country anymore, as I was told when I got here, when you get paid in dollars then this is what you pay for everything & the sooner you drop the " I wonder how much this is in pounds?" then I would say it wont bother you anymore.

Dont let it get to you, otherwise you may turn into one of those "Whinging Poms" and we wouldn't want that to happen would we
Old Jan 29th 2006, 12:16 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Exactly.

Yes, but that's a bad thing. It's already too easy to get credit, and I don't believe it will be good for the economy if every Tom, Dick and Harry can phone up for a piece of plastic when he feels like it.

According to yesterday's episode of Beat the Bailiff, personal debt in the UK increases at the rate of £1 million every four minutes.

I don't want Australia ending up in the same boat.
Oh no doubt that its a bad thing and Oz is in need of some education in relation to dealing with credit. There will be some hard lesons learnt over the next couple of years as consumer debt is massive here already.

The point though is that when u see competition you start to see consumer benifits. I strongly suspect that anyone coming into Oz first time will get a knock at the door and be told to play the game with pricing or there lives will be made difficult. It needs a player who is big enough to say I don't care I'll play it fair
Old Jan 29th 2006, 12:19 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
prices in the UK started to go down when Wal-Mart came in and provided us with Asda!

Anyway, have emailed Tesco so just waiting for a response
Wal-Mart did not provide us with Asda they bought it. There was meant to be a massive pricing revolution because of this but by and large it never really happened. There was a lot of price reductions and initially it could be attributed to the Wal-mart fear factor but the big players are so firmly locked that the price revolution should continue. As I understand it Tesco is still totally dominant. The emergence of Morrisons with the Safeway take over and their pricing policy has had a major impact.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by HUP
The emergence of Morrisons with the Safeway take over and their pricing policy has had a major impact.
Certainly had an impact where I used to live. The new Sainsburys suddenly got queues and became reallly busy and Safeway went from really busy (i.e. the only time you could get round quickly was after 8.30 at night) to dead (i.e. pick which till you want to use as they're all empty) then it was noticable that the shoppers in Safeway (rebranded Morrisons) became a lot lower spenders (car park changed from mainly nearly new, higher quality cars to 8 year plus cars) and it started shutting earlier as it wasn't used.

The only good thing I found with Morrisons is the big ones (i.e. not those taken over from Safeway and rebranded) sell Ausralian beef which is the best steaks I've found in any of the UK supermarkets plus I think it was close on the cheapest too.

Where can i get that for less than 2.5 pounds in the UK? I'd love to know for my next visit. .
You're being ripped off

In Central Sydney we regularly eat 300g steaks with mash and gravy for $5 washed down with a few beers.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Talking about shopping not eating out. The UK has always been a rip off for eating out.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

The corollary of that of course is, if you can eat out so cheaply here in Australia, why do you pay 3 times the price for the ingredients when you go to the supermarket in order to cook it yourself?!!
Old Jan 29th 2006, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
The corollary of that of course is, if you can eat out so cheaply here in Australia, why do you pay 3 times the price for the ingredients when you go to the supermarket in order to cook it yourself?!!

Quite a few single people I know, eat the Majority of their meals out.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Quite a few single people I know, eat the Majority of their meals out.
Suggests a huge wholesale/retail price differential.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.