Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We're being ripped off here!

We're being ripped off here!

Old Jan 26th 2006, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all
Default Re: We're being ripped off here!

As you know, here in the uk, we have a lot of "buy one get one free" and "3 for 2" offers...are these common offers in Aus?
Lynn
Old Jan 26th 2006, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnbrooks
As you know, here in the uk, we have a lot of "buy one get one free" and "3 for 2" offers...are these common offers in Aus?
Lynn
You dont see that much at all, there are some weekly leaders, like abc's examples, a coloured catalogue comes out most weeks to your mailbox, and we use them to stock up on stuff when its on special.

There are some really funny savings too, like 2c off or 8c off really stupid amounts like was $4.98 now $4.90 or buy $40 of dental products and get an extra 100 fly buy (shopper) points.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
You dont see that much at all, there are some weekly leaders, like abc's examples, a coloured catalogue comes out most weeks to your mailbox, and we use them to stock up on stuff when its on special.

There are some really funny savings too, like 2c off or 8c off really stupid amounts like was $4.98 now $4.90 or buy $40 of dental products and get an extra 100 fly buy (shopper) points.
Australian offers are the meanest, most tight-arsed cons in the history of marketing.

I saw one the other week - buy a $1000 BBQ and get 12 cans of coke free.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
What struck me, was the choice of Cheese that we dont get in Aussie, I only managed to try a few of them, and being a cheese lover, especially with wine and port etc, it's another thing 'albeit' small that I feel I'm missing out on.

The price just seemed similar to me.

You dont see stilton in Coles or Safeway eh ? I know you can get it, but....

Oh well the Tasmanian and King Island, and West Aussie versions, are up there in quality.
That'a mainly dictated by Health regulations. From memory, no milk based products can be sold unless the milk has been pasteurised, that kills most nasty (and a lot of beneficial) bacteria. That automatically cuts out most overseas cheeses and dramatically lessens the scope for developing new Australian cheeses. I believe that some locals and importers are fighting this one.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 10:21 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jad n rich
My word, yogurt is really important to you isnt it. :scared:
But it's you who brought up the yogurt only costing 8p per 200gm tub in the UK

I'd just like to know if everyone pays that price in the UK, it seems a valid question to ask, doesn't it .

Old Jan 26th 2006, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Where does your mum shop I am still in UK- Lancashire and can't get stuff that cheap even at local market!!
Old Jan 26th 2006, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Just take a look at this lot. These are a few prices that Mum sent me over the other day, after she'd done her food shop. Mums just gone back to the UK after spending 5 weeks with us here. She was shocked at how expensive it is here.

1 kg. carrots 29p.
Cucumber 44p. I PAID $1.98
1kg. onions 25p. RED ONIONS ARE $4.99 A KILO
medium-size cabbage 35p. I PAID $1.75 FOR HALF A CABBAGE
1kg. bananas 59p. $3.99 A KILO HERE
Carton cherry toms. 44p. I PAID $1.98 A SMALL PUNNET ON "SPECIAL"
2 baby lettuce hearts 44p. DON'T GET ME STARTED ON LETTUCE PRICES!
350.gm button mushrooms 40p. DON'T LIKE 'EM SO DUNNO
Medium-size broccoli 47p. $3.99 A KILO HERE
1kg. washed salad potatoes 54p. I PAID $6.95 A BAG
Frozen 9+lb. turkey on "special" £4.95. $14.99 A KILO OVER CHRISTMAS. I KNOW THEY HAVE TO BE IMPORTED BUT DO THEY HAVE TO FLY FIRST CLASS?

Where do they get off charging so much for food here? I still nearly hyperventilate over the price of a decent quality loaf of bread....$3.47 for Helga's. :scared:
Have to say having only being in Australia (Sydney versus London) just over a month these UK prices seem unbelievable.

Carrots 29p a kilo, only in London when you buy value stuff in 5 kilo bags, normally moe like 50p a kilo when I was there plus it is the cheapest time of year to buy them fresh in the UK.

Cucumber 44p - one thing that annoyed me I was paying about 90p in London mid december then I got here and was charged 98c then suddenly overnight they went up to more than $2 (I've only recently bought one again when they went back down under $2

Onion 25p a kilo (10p a pound) don't think I've ever known them that cheap ever even as a student 10 years ago unless you bought them at minimum 35 pound sacks.

Bananas, saw them here just before Christmas in a local greengrocers at 29c a kilo, $2.75 a kilo now, very rarely saw them any where near as cheap as this in the UK (and generally at this price very brown and desparate to get rid of)

Cherry Toms: cheap tasteless ones from tesco when I left were 69p a punnet but here at least they taste of something (I'm a tomato fan and hope here I won't have to get my fix for 6 months of the year from tinned tomatoes like I did in the UK to get any taste)

Baby lettuce hearts, never seen cheaper that nearly £1 per pack ever in the UK.

Mushroons, a little pack in the UK maybe 99p for 100g certainly never seen anything below 50p although you don't seem to get the big stewing dodgy looking value packs here.

Cant really remember the price for other things but at this time of year in the UK turkey is normally can't give it away prices since everyone ate to much at christmas.

What I've found so far in Australia is prices can be a bit more on veg if you don't follow the special offer trends but meat (particularly beef) is much cheap and far higher quality than the UK. I've learnt to go shopping and take advantages of the vegetable deals and the quality of the fresh produce.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 1:45 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: We're being ripped off here!

Originally Posted by spottydog
Cucumber 44p - one thing that annoyed me I was paying about 90p in London mid december then I got here and was charged 98c then suddenly overnight they went up to more than $2 (I've only recently bought one again when they went back down under $2.)
The Australian cucumber market is notoriously unstable; analysts attribute this to over-speculation in cucumber futures.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 1:50 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: We're being ripped off here!

Originally Posted by spottydog
Bananas, saw them here just before Christmas in a local greengrocers at 29c a kilo, $2.75 a kilo now, very rarely saw them any where near as cheap as this in the UK (and generally at this price very brown and desparate to get rid of)
And it's all very well people saying that they're dirt cheap in the UK, but at that sort of price the only bananas you'll get are those dodgy unethical Latin American ones, which are big - but tasteless!

My missus and I prefer to pay a higher price for the smaller, tastier fair trade bananas from the Windward Islands.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 2:42 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
The Australian cucumber market is notoriously unstable; analysts attribute this to over-speculation in cucumber futures.
Same problem with frozen OJ and pork bellies, so I,ve heard
Old Jan 26th 2006, 2:59 pm
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by paulf
Same problem with frozen OJ and pork bellies, so I,ve heard
It's always the way with these exclusive "niche market" products.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 3:58 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
My missus and I prefer the smaller ones
Size isnt important
Old Jan 26th 2006, 4:21 pm
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by wargod
Size isnt important
I'm going to leave that one well alone.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But it's you who brought up the yogurt only costing 8p per 200gm tub in the UK

I'd just like to know if everyone pays that price in the UK, it seems a valid question to ask, doesn't it .
I pay less than that. Family weekly shop here now costs £45 p/w that includes sandwich stuff for boys. When we first got back here it cost £75 so its almost halved in 12 mths. Eric you really must come back to the UK to actually see how prices have changed. You'd be so surprised as everythings cheap as chips and bloody good quality.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 5:29 pm
Fighting my corner

Question Re: We're being ripped off here!

Originally Posted by glittababe
I pay less than that. Family weekly shop here now costs £45 p/w that includes sandwich stuff for boys. When we first got back here it cost £75 so its almost halved in 12 mths. Eric you really must come back to the UK to actually see how prices have changed. You'd be so surprised as everythings cheap as chips and bloody good quality.
What brand is that yoghurt, and where are you buying it? I haven't found anywhere which sells the stuff that cheap - and I've sunk as low as Morrisons in search of a good deal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.