Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We're being ripped off here!

Wikiposts

We're being ripped off here!

Old Jan 29th 2006, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We're being ripped off here!

Originally Posted by spottydog

You're being ripped off

In Central Sydney we regularly eat 300g steaks with mash and gravy for $5 washed down with a few beers.
$5!! The $5.95 I pay now feels a rip-off. I feel exploited!
Old Jan 29th 2006, 4:57 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Suggests a huge wholesale/retail price differential.
There is !!

Rump Steak at Supermarket is often about $18 kg
but at some butchers it can be down to $5 kg, and that's retail price

Shop around is the answer

If more people shopped around, then the shops that overcharge may get the message.
Maybe one day when people have to start watching the $'s more carefully, they will do just that. The number of times this has been on the TV current affair style program, and yet people still buy as if they have no money worries.

Old Jan 29th 2006, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
There is !!

Rump Steak at Supermarket is often about $18 kg
but at some butchers it can be down to $5 kg, and that's retail price

Shop around is the answer

If more people shopped around, then the shops that overcharge may get the message.
Maybe one day when people have to start watching the $'s more carefully, they will do just that. The number of times this has been on the TV current affair style program, and yet people still buy as if they have no money worries.

The thing is, I cannot tell what is tender rump v budget rump. At the supermarket, you get the label telling you which is which. Whereup I will buy the tender steak, especially if it has a discount label on it. |Then I will buy a hell of a lot at once. Standard price in a butchers here in Coburg, would be between 13-15 bucks, you dont know exactly what you are getting, whereas the supermarket will mark Tender 200 pct guaranteed, and have it marked down from 18 bucks. Alongside the Budget steak at 8-12 bucks per kilo.

I know we are getting nit picky now, but thats how I use my time constrained time, to try and get quality. At least you can't go wrong with Lamb and Pork, "mostly"

I cannot beleive you can get Tender steak from a butchers at 5 bucks a kilo ? 12 bucks maybe.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 5:24 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I cannot beleive you can get Tender steak from a butchers at 5 bucks a kilo ? 12 bucks maybe.
Sometimes it's tender sometimes it's not. And the incidence of it not being tender has risen over the last year or so.

We've started buying the rib eye fillet a bit more frequently though, one extreme to the other

Old Jan 29th 2006, 6:08 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I bought a whole rump just before xmas for $5.99/kg from a butcher down at Capalaba & it was absolutely delicious. More tender than alot of the stuff you get from the supermarket!
Old Jan 29th 2006, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
I bought a whole rump just before xmas for $5.99/kg from a butcher down at Capalaba & it was absolutely delicious. More tender than alot of the stuff you get from the supermarket!

I think we may be able to get whole rumps for that price, at place like the Vic Market and perhaps Preston Market, but rarely if ever in a butcher. Maybe you get cheaper meat in Q'land. Most beef comes from up that way I think.

However I would Imagine the Supermarket prices are the same.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Gill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Just take a look at this lot. These are a few prices that Mum sent me over the other day, after she'd done her food shop. Mums just gone back to the UK after spending 5 weeks with us here. She was shocked at how expensive it is here.

1 kg. carrots 29p.
Cucumber 44p. I PAID $1.98
1kg. onions 25p. RED ONIONS ARE $4.99 A KILO
medium-size cabbage 35p. I PAID $1.75 FOR HALF A CABBAGE
1kg. bananas 59p. $3.99 A KILO HERE
Carton cherry toms. 44p. I PAID $1.98 A SMALL PUNNET ON "SPECIAL"
2 baby lettuce hearts 44p. DON'T GET ME STARTED ON LETTUCE PRICES!
350.gm button mushrooms 40p. DON'T LIKE 'EM SO DUNNO
Medium-size broccoli 47p. $3.99 A KILO HERE
1kg. washed salad potatoes 54p. I PAID $6.95 A BAG
Frozen 9+lb. turkey on "special" £4.95. $14.99 A KILO OVER CHRISTMAS. I KNOW THEY HAVE TO BE IMPORTED BUT DO THEY HAVE TO FLY FIRST CLASS?

Where do they get off charging so much for food here? I still nearly hyperventilate over the price of a decent quality loaf of bread....$3.47 for Helga's. :scared:
I find prices in Queensland very good most are cheaper than in the UK. Where are you shopping? Try using local markets!
Old Jan 29th 2006, 7:00 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: We're being ripped off here!

Originally Posted by HUP
The point though is that when u see competition you start to see consumer benifits. I strongly suspect that anyone coming into Oz first time will get a knock at the door and be told to play the game with pricing or there lives will be made difficult. It needs a player who is big enough to say I don't care I'll play it fair
16 years of airline deregulation have seen a handful of modest benefits, but little else. Richard Branson certainly doesn't appear to have been told anything about "playing the game" with pricing.

We've had international phone companies for nigh on a decade now (ie. Vodafone, Orange, Virgin) but they're no cheaper than the local alternative (Optus and Telstra.)

On the basis of past experience, I can't see prices plunging across the nation with the introduction of Tesco.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 7:00 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: We're being ripped off here!

The corollary of that of course is, if you can eat out so cheaply here in Australia, why do you pay 3 times the price for the ingredients when you go to the supermarket in order to cook it yourself?!!
Because unlike a restaurant, you're not buying them (a) wholesale, and (b) in bulk.

Start buying 100kg of meat every month, and you might find that the price of a steak comes down quite considerably.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
I pay less than that. Family weekly shop here now costs £45 p/w that includes sandwich stuff for boys. When we first got back here it cost £75 so its almost halved in 12 mths. Eric you really must come back to the UK to actually see how prices have changed. You'd be so surprised as everythings cheap as chips and bloody good quality.
I was spending 45 in 1996 as a student!!
Old Jan 29th 2006, 8:59 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

For those being ripped off in Brisbane thanks to GillC I now know of a bulk meat place in Brisbane...

Jack Purcells at Virginia http://www.jackpurcellmeats.com.au/

just what we have been looking for and comes recommended by in bulk cheaper than woolies.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

elfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to all

Originally Posted by annqldau
For those being ripped off in Brisbane thanks to GillC I now know of a bulk meat place in Brisbane...

just what we have been looking for and comes recommended by in bulk cheaper than woolies.
I paid £32.00 AS$75 for my serves 4-6 turkey in ASDA ok it was organic and freerange and tasted lovely but still very expensive!!!!
I also work at the aformentioned store and cucumbers went from 47p to 69p each over xmas.
But the thing that amazed me the most was the family who managed to spend £172 in ASDA at my till all on home brands and did not buy one piece of fruit,veg,meat (apart from tom and jerry reshaped spam type product)the whole lot was spent on crisps,cakes, bread, tinned stuff, sweets, fizzy pop and chocolate needless to say they had three trolleys and a weight problem all five of them. :scared:
Old Jan 31st 2006, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau

The trouble is - and I'd love someone to tell me that there is nothing to worry about - after the mid 90s dodgy meat and dodgy preparation of meat leading to the BSE scandal in the UK, I'm always wary of 'cheap meat' or 'bulk meat' places.

I'm sure that many of the people infected with vcjd got it from going down the cheap meat path - you know the cheap mince at the local market or the unbelievably cheap steak from the back of a lorry.

The argument may well be, "But this is Australia..." but often these things only become apparent when its too late.

So I suppose I'll be forever stuck in the rut of buying expensive meat because I'm lulled into the (false) sense of security that 'expensive' means it is from a healthy animal and it has been processed in the right way.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

The trouble is - and I'd love someone to tell me that there is nothing to worry about - after the mid 90s dodgy meat and dodgy preparation of meat leading to the BSE scandal in the UK, I'm always wary of 'cheap meat' or 'bulk meat' places.

I'm sure that many of the people infected with vcjd got it from going down the cheap meat path - you know the cheap mince at the local market or the unbelievably cheap steak from the back of a lorry.

The argument may well be, "But this is Australia..." but often these things only become apparent when its too late.

So I suppose I'll be forever stuck in the rut of buying expensive meat because I'm lulled into the (false) sense of security that 'expensive' means it is from a healthy animal and it has been processed in the right way.

I think a lot of the meat barns here are OK, they simply leave more fat and bone on the meat to keep the price down.

Like lamb cutlets, partner complains we never eat them , at COLES price of $33.98 a kilo for 5 people we are looking at a $40 home cooked meal :scared: Yesterday in Micks Meat barn, probably the best place for cheap meat they were $19.99 but obviously far less trimmed. He did have lamb chops for $3.99 but they looked like a bit of scrag end.

I'm still looking for this $5 a kilo steak even bulk packs of rump were around $17 a kilo and T bones $14.99 kilo the cheapest steak anywhere yesterday was $9.99 for BBQ steak which is blade bashed up a bit with a meat hammer.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

haggiscat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Just take a look at this lot. These are a few prices that Mum sent me over the other day, after she'd done her food shop. Mums just gone back to the UK after spending 5 weeks with us here. She was shocked at how expensive it is here.

1 kg. carrots 29p.
Cucumber 44p. I PAID $1.98
1kg. onions 25p. RED ONIONS ARE $4.99 A KILO
medium-size cabbage 35p. I PAID $1.75 FOR HALF A CABBAGE
1kg. bananas 59p. $3.99 A KILO HERE
Carton cherry toms. 44p. I PAID $1.98 A SMALL PUNNET ON "SPECIAL"
2 baby lettuce hearts 44p. DON'T GET ME STARTED ON LETTUCE PRICES!
350.gm button mushrooms 40p. DON'T LIKE 'EM SO DUNNO
Medium-size broccoli 47p. $3.99 A KILO HERE
1kg. washed salad potatoes 54p. I PAID $6.95 A BAG
Frozen 9+lb. turkey on "special" £4.95. $14.99 A KILO OVER CHRISTMAS. I KNOW THEY HAVE TO BE IMPORTED BUT DO THEY HAVE TO FLY FIRST CLASS?

Where do they get off charging so much for food here? I still nearly hyperventilate over the price of a decent quality loaf of bread....$3.47 for Helga's. :scared:
Hi

Can you tell me where you live? We are moving to Cairns in about 2 months and I am hoping that it will be slightly cheaper than some of the bigger cities such as Sydney and Melbourne or am I just delooding myself? (ps sorry about the spelling!)