Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Went back to the U.K for a holiday - thoughts

Went back to the U.K for a holiday - thoughts

Old Jan 18th 2005, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Default Went back to the U.K for a holiday - thoughts

Hi,

Having been here for nearly a year. We went home for Christmas and New year and have to say we missed Oz so much we wanted to return after 3 days.

Now for those who recall who I am, the will know, I still loved the U.K and never ever dogged it as a reason I was leaving.

But I hated it and I know why now. it was the weather and the lifestyle.

Fair to say I enjoyed some English and Scottish food delights while I was there and a few John Smiths, Cafferys etc and the beer was cold.

It was nice to go back and have this feeling in a way, as it just confirms to us that we have done the right thing as we love it here and settled in really quickly.

Anyone else go to the U.K recently ? What were your thoughts

Carrianne
Old Jan 18th 2005, 7:22 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Went back to the U.K for a holiday - thoughts

Hi Carrianne - long time no post

I've not been back since I moved here properly, but am actually quite keen to go, not because I'm missing it so much, but to reaffirm I've done the right thing. I shan't be going for at least 6 months or so, but glad to hear you're happy with your move over here. I think a few people went back to the UK recently, and most seemed to have found the same thing.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 7:32 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carrianne
Hi,

Having been here for nearly a year. We went home for Christmas and New year and have to say we missed Oz so much we wanted to return after 3 days.

Now for those who recall who I am, the will know, I still loved the U.K and never ever dogged it as a reason I was leaving.

Fair to say I enjoyed some English and Scottish food delights while I was there and a few John Smiths, Cafferys etc and the beer was cold.

It was nice to go back and have this feeling in a way, as it just confirms to us that we have done the right thing as we love it here and settled in really quickly.

Carrianne
theres nothing better than finding out u did the right thing.
good luck

soapy
Old Jan 18th 2005, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hiya love,

mm thought it may have just been me, No I haven't been on for ages, as most post are about moving out here rather than those living here. although I was always happy to help. Life comes first.

I told family that i will not be going back for at least 5 - 10 years and i know people here who haven't been back for 30 years :scared:

Just thought I would see who was still on here and look at some of the debates going on.

Take care

Carrianne

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Hi Carrianne - long time no post

I've not been back since I moved here properly, but am actually quite keen to go, not because I'm missing it so much, but to reaffirm I've done the right thing. I shan't be going for at least 6 months or so, but glad to hear you're happy with your move over here. I think a few people went back to the UK recently, and most seemed to have found the same thing.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 7:47 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Carrianne, nice to see you & to hear that you are enjoying it out here so much. We went back to the UK in Oct for 5 weeks, Dagboy was the same as you, he hated it & couldnt wait to get back.

Hes been here 4 years in April, this was the first trip back & whilst he enjoyed seeing his family while he was there, I dont think we will be moving back anytime in the foreseeable future .
Old Jan 18th 2005, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I did the very same thing you did just before christmas after being away from UK for 3yrs... ever since i came back i have been happier than i have ever been in my life as it made me realise just what a great life i have out here...

like you, i also had no gripes with UK before i left and never slagged it off... BUT... when i went back i hated it!!!... i could never imagine having to spend the rest of my days living there after experiencing the kind of life i have now..i would be cheating myself if i did.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 7:52 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

cool post carianne, glad to hear you are settled in aus.
some of us 'old timers' are stuck here in the uk for yet another winter......i seem to get more depressed and miserable every winter!!
how i crave heat and sunshine. (and before i get pummelled for daring to admit to liking the sun, i have been to aus several times, so i know all about the heat and sun, and they are very important to me. nuff said)

sue
Old Jan 18th 2005, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

ShellnTez will become famous soon enoughShellnTez will become famous soon enough

we feel the same
went on a working holiday in 2000/2001, was looking forward to seeing our families, but after we'd seen them, had a night out with our mates etc we could have gone straight back,
wasn't that simple as we'd never lived together (except in oz), no proof of bills etc, my partner is a motor mechanic so in hindsight we should have just rented somewhere for a year or so and applied to go for good. we're starting the application soon
shell
Old Jan 18th 2005, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. It is good to see that we are "not alone" in our sentiments.

Nice to be back and seeing old friends on here.

Speaking to a Pommie couple at the weekend and they went back the same time and wanted to stay. It was a difficult conversation for us, but respect each others opinion. it's were you are happy after all, regardless of money, job, friends. So if that be the U.K then so be it. but as I stated it is not the right place for me presently.

I was thinking as I have met quite a few British people that I must organise another Sunshine coast meet. Why its summer. Anyone interested ?

Carrianne
Old Jan 18th 2005, 9:10 am
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

I go back for 3 weeks in March and am very curious as to what it will be like. We are going to see various friends and family and are going to Cornwall which will be nice for a short break.

I hope that it will not disturb my feelings too much. I never fled England - Aus was just a lucky opportunity to us as my wife is an Aussie - but it has been good to us here so far. We have good jobs and a good place to live and are making a few friends.

I don't want to feel like I hate Britain - that is a very negative emotion - but I know the prices, the beggars in the streets and the delays on the roads is gonna piss me off!

I just hope I will enjoy the time away and come back the same.

rab
Old Jan 18th 2005, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

cazz is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. It is good to see that we are "not alone" in our sentiments.

Nice to be back and seeing old friends on here.

Speaking to a Pommie couple at the weekend and they went back the same time and wanted to stay. It was a difficult conversation for us, but respect each others opinion. it's were you are happy after all, regardless of money, job, friends. So if that be the U.K then so be it. but as I stated it is not the right place for me presently.

I was thinking as I have met quite a few British people that I must organise another Sunshine coast meet. Why its summer. Anyone interested ?

Carrianne
Hi Carrianne,
moving to sunshine coast beginning feb, count me in for the meet.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 12:54 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Carrianne
great post Carrianne,

that is what i like to hear. My family came to visit last summer and they vowed never to come back here again, they were counting down the days to return to Aus, and even tho it was summer here the weather was awful and they were freezing.

After I have lived in Melbourne for a while, I hope I will feel the same way too, as I think after a while i will start to feel home sick, but I think it will be more of what I think that I am missing than what i actually will be missing......if you know what i mean, and a trip back to the Rainy UK will probley be all i need to confirm that I am not missing anything except rain LOL!

Take care

laura
x
Old Jan 18th 2005, 2:56 pm
Merlot

Hi,

Carrianne
What a nice post, change from some of the nasty people on here.

Hubby and I are back in the UK on a kind of extended working holiday/spend quality time with my family but finding the winters, sorry more just the dark nights hard.

The only thing I hated about Australia was the feeling of loneliness from my family, missing things they were doing here. I can't imagine in a few years time having to say goodbye to that. In both countries I have/had a happy as you can be job, great friends and social life.

If I could have my immediate family around me in Australia, life would be perfect!

Merlot

Old Jan 18th 2005, 4:19 pm
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the post. We're moving to Oz in a few weeks and really needed to hear some of the things stated here. Thanks for that...ave some a dat karma!
Old Jan 18th 2005, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

Hi,

Carrianne
Hi Carriane,
Do you think you felt that way because you left summer to come to winter? If you had left an Oz winter to come to a British summer would it have been different?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.