Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Went back to the U.K for a holiday - thoughts

Went back to the U.K for a holiday - thoughts

Old Jan 18th 2005, 6:04 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Went back to the U.K for a holiday - thoughts

Originally Posted by jugsy
Hi Carriane,
Do you think you felt that way because you left summer to come to winter? If you had left an Oz winter to come to a British summer would it have been different?
First time I visited oz was in July for a week in freezing Melbourne I came back to the british summer, it still depressed me
Old Jan 18th 2005, 6:44 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Carriane,
Do you think you felt that way because you left summer to come to winter? If you had left an Oz winter to come to a British summer would it have been different?
I visited Adelaide in June and it was cold and very wet

It was enough to put me off the idea of living there at the time.

Especially when nowhere has any worthwhile heating or insulation. :scared:

G
Old Jan 18th 2005, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Carriane,
I've only ever been back to the UK during the (UK) summer - you'd never catch me swapping even a week of an Australian summer for a UK winter - and I've always been happy as Larry to be back home in Sydney. It's usually hard to tell the difference, weatherwise (UK summer vs. Sydney winter).

Lovely to visit and do a bit of shopping, but I wouldn't want to live there, thanks.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 11:28 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by nickyc
I've only ever been back to the UK during the (UK) summer - you'd never catch me swapping even a week of an Australian summer for a UK winter - and I've always been happy as Larry to be back home in Sydney. It's usually hard to tell the difference, weatherwise (UK summer vs. Sydney winter).

Lovely to visit and do a bit of shopping, but I wouldn't want to live there, thanks.
I agree with you : the real bonus in a Sydney winter is the daytime sun.
You are missing, though, the short days - some would kill for the 9.30pm sunsets of the UK summer, and these make a HUGE difference. As it can take a while to reach the top temp of say 17-19, Sydney still feels cold. And you've acclimatised...

Badge

Old Jan 18th 2005, 11:57 pm
blossom

Hi

When we first migrated to Australia, we returned to Uk for a holiday after 2 years and couldn't wait until we got back home. We left to spend summer in UK leaving winter behind us! Grey skies were prevalent for the whole of the trip, it was awful.

The next time we came to UK was after a further 3 years, and again was happy to get back to Oz.

The third trip was the worst. Seeing family and new family made me feel homesick.

The fourth trip clinched it for me. After serious illness, I just wanted to be back in the UK with my family.

That was over 10 years ago, and now we are making our plans to return to Australia permanently and cannot wait. Trouble is deciding where to settle. We did live in Wollongong, but with the housing market boom it is now out of the question for us, and we are looking to return and live in the Gold Coast Hinterland.

Don't make our mistake and go back too often ! Roots pull at the heartstrings eventually.

Old Jan 19th 2005, 12:05 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

We spent just over 2 weeks in the UK over Christmas and I have to say we had a great time. England felt like home. My wife said she could move back tomorrow. Personally I think we'd be crazy to move back as I've got a good job and the kids start their new school in a few weeks.

I wouldn't rule out moving back to the UK in the future though, it's just Oz is the right place for us at the moment.

I never thought I'd say this but the UK will always be "home".
Old Jan 19th 2005, 1:00 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carrianne
Hi,

Having been here for nearly a year. We went home for Christmas and New year and have to say we missed Oz so much we wanted to return after 3 days.

Now for those who recall who I am, the will know, I still loved the U.K and never ever dogged it as a reason I was leaving.

But I hated it and I know why now. it was the weather and the lifestyle.

Fair to say I enjoyed some English and Scottish food delights while I was there and a few John Smiths, Cafferys etc and the beer was cold.

It was nice to go back and have this feeling in a way, as it just confirms to us that we have done the right thing as we love it here and settled in really quickly.

Anyone else go to the U.K recently ? What were your thoughts

Carrianne

I went back to England for a month last nov/dec after being in australia for about 18 months. I loved every minute of my time back in England, it was great to catch up with friends & family again. I suppose for me, I moved to aus when i was 25 and left behind close friends who I had grown up with since first school and they are the major thing that I miss over here is aus. so it was great to catch up with them all again. I was sort of sad when I returned to aus but now I have been back here for a couple of months it feels like I never went back to england!!
Old Jan 19th 2005, 1:18 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Carriane,
A Qld winter is very similar to an English summer anyway - but without the rain .
Old Jan 19th 2005, 1:31 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

1981 summer, I spent 3 months living in a Pub in the UK bush (Somerset). Seemed little different to many rural areas in Aus. Smaller paddocks, more houses, older buildings.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Again thanks for the honest replies and thoughts and to answer the question.

I think if we went back in summer it would be the same as Winter, yes we get longer nights but, I don't feel an attachment there anymore, I love my friends and family, they knwo that. But I know, "I was meant to be in Oz"

C x
Old Jan 19th 2005, 9:10 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blossom
Hi

When we first migrated to Australia, we returned to Uk for a holiday after 2 years and couldn't wait until we got back home. We left to spend summer in UK leaving winter behind us! Grey skies were prevalent for the whole of the trip, it was awful.

The next time we came to UK was after a further 3 years, and again was happy to get back to Oz.

The third trip was the worst. Seeing family and new family made me feel homesick.

The fourth trip clinched it for me. After serious illness, I just wanted to be back in the UK with my family.

That was over 10 years ago, and now we are making our plans to return to Australia permanently and cannot wait. Trouble is deciding where to settle. We did live in Wollongong, but with the housing market boom it is now out of the question for us, and we are looking to return and live in the Gold Coast Hinterland.

Don't make our mistake and go back too often ! Roots pull at the heartstrings eventually.

What an interesting post! I'd never have thought of that - how very wise and learned you are.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 4:12 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by blossom
Hi

OMG, I never thought it but I think we have also joined the "Ping Pong Pom Club". Made harder as my immediate family are in the UK, hubby's in Australia.

I know that England will always be "home" because my family are here, which means my heart is also here but not sure if I want to suffer long dark winter evenings . . . . though I would miss the UK summer evenings, yep that lightness well into the night.

Hey ho, M

Old Jan 19th 2005, 10:16 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Merlot
I know that England will always be "home" because my family are here, which means my heart is also here but not sure if I want to suffer long dark winter evenings . . . . though I would miss the UK summer evenings, yep that lightness well into the night.

Hey ho, M
Even though my family is now all around the world, with very few left in England, I would never want to relinquish my ties to England, as I suppose I still call England "Home", but I just prefer the weather here

It's a pity we can't get the best of both worlds, in one place, isn't it

Old Jan 19th 2005, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

although mmmm I am not sure I could handle all my family over here with me. Including the out laws :scared:

Maybe my mates

Oh I am cruel
Old Jan 20th 2005, 3:37 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Even though my family is now all around the world, with very few left in England, I would never want to relinquish my ties to England, as I suppose I still call England "Home", but I just prefer the weather here

It's a pity we can't get the best of both worlds, in one place, isn't it

Absolutely!

M

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.