Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Well the pizza is cheap!!

Well the pizza is cheap!!

Old Mar 24th 2004, 7:19 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

PP it is no myth that you get fatter by burning more calories than you consume. Sure there are triggers and mental health issues that mean individuals get obese but the general fattening of society is due to eating more and exercising less.

How effective is treatment and is it sustainable?
Old Mar 24th 2004, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by bondipom
PP it is no myth that you get fatter by burning more calories than you consume. Sure there are triggers and mental health issues that mean individuals get obese but the general fattening of society is due to eating more and exercising less.

How effective is treatment and is it sustainable?

LOL..i think you have written your first sentence wrong!!

Treatment for these people would probably be more successful than treating anoraexics i would guess...i could be wrong...much of hte medical profession just hasnt woken up to it yet!!....... far simpler to just ignore it and deal with the consequences later in life than spend out lots of money on cure and prevention..... much the same as smoking issues...
Old Mar 24th 2004, 7:23 pm

Originally posted by podgypossum
but if its that simple, why is there such an epidemic??
My theory is that we are designed to do a certain amount of hard work. Before man used to toil the soil but now we are stuck in offices, drive to work, eat ready meals because of time and love treating ourselves. Modern life is the easy life.
Old Mar 24th 2004, 7:30 pm

Originally posted by podgypossum
LOL..i think you have written your first sentence wrong!!

Treatment for these people would probably be more successful than treating anoraexics i would guess...i could be wrong...much of hte medical profession just hasnt woken up to it yet!!....... far simpler to just ignore it and deal with the consequences later in life than spend out lots of money on cure and prevention..... much the same as smoking issues...
Government is certainly getting interested as it is costing tax payers a fortune in treating the diseases that obesity creates. So far it is coming down to food labelling which is nothing. Whether they will put in the cash is another question.

As with tobacco the food industry is a major political party donator. There are big vested interests involved. Just look at the sugar beet subsidies the EU gives out.

BTW my first sentence was wrong but you should check for typos as well.
Old Mar 24th 2004, 9:57 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Watched ABC Catalyst 20:30 this night:

UNDERNOURISHED - reporter Karina Kelly

Full transcript probably available late tomorrow.

Researchers and school principal found ~30% of kids were got their own breakfast and chose junk food - an unbalanced diet causing obseity, loss of mental ability and poor behaviou. Kids given school breakfast improved measurably - 40% drop in bad behaviour, concentration span doubled.

While I recommend parents to look for and read the full transcript of the report, I imagine that those most needing to do so will not.

I favour the theory that high glycemic foods - eg sugar and white bread - and more suspect than fats.
Old Mar 25th 2004, 5:18 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Narration:
On the outskirts of Sydney, a school principal began noticing a worrying development in his students.

For a number of years he’d seen his school’s performance falling behind.

Michael Young:
There was a 40 to 60% drop in certain types of behaviour that children were exhibiting in the classroom, and an increase of 30 to 40% in the length of time they could concentrate on a task.

more ...

Full transcript: Undernourished
Old Mar 25th 2004, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Megalania
Narration:
On the outskirts of Sydney, a school principal began noticing a worrying development in his students.

For a number of years he’d seen his school’s performance falling behind.

Michael Young:
There was a 40 to 60% drop in certain types of behaviour that children were exhibiting in the classroom, and an increase of 30 to 40% in the length of time they could concentrate on a task.

more ...

Full transcript: Undernourished
This has been a well publisised issue the last year, but really I have to wonder, just what has gone so wrong that parents cant/wont or dont have the time to whip up a bowl of weetbix and a banana or a few slices of toast and a boiled egg. I mean it takes less than 5 minutes.

Old Mar 25th 2004, 5:33 pm
Banned

Mothers "forced" to work to live the marketeer implanted consumer dream, or just to hire the tradesman to repair the leaking roof?
Old Mar 26th 2004, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by wombat42
Thats why Australians are the second fatest people in the world
behind the Americans, all that cheap junk food.

Actually the lastest statics show the England is 2nd and Australia in 3rd place when it come to obesity. So we may be fatties in Australia but not quite as fat as those in England the USA!!
Old Mar 26th 2004, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
Here here.

Those whingin and whining about my snobbery should try doing their grocery shopping or eating in a restauarnt with filthy people with filty bare feet, hello it SMELLS. Honestly some people really need to get out here. Der, nothing to do with snobbery, more like hygeine

As for OZ giving me great opportunities, think that should be the other way round, imagine if every immo gave OZ so much, it might even mean the dole bludgers might start wearing shoes.

Get over it, its bloody disgusting.
Sounds typical of a lot of places in QLD Dotty, why didn't you try somewhere else in Australia?