Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Welcome to Hamilton, NZ? No thank you.

Welcome to Hamilton, NZ? No thank you.

Old Sep 10th 2003, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by bondipom
Brixton is a very culturally rich place. I have only been there a couple of times but it has a buzz about it. The Brixton academy is a top venue and I have seen Aussies drool at the lineup.

Brixton's reputation stems from the riots however the time and money put in by the locals and the government has created a special place that would be unrealisable in NZ.
Have to agree with this. Went up to the Brixton Acadamy for a show last year (before we left for Perth), we found parking no problem and felt safe walking around the area. There was a great atmosphere, a real buzz, as a Londoner I felt the area had changed for the better, although I'm sure there must be iffy parts!
Old Sep 10th 2003, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Having heard about all this excitement in London SW9, I am going to write an article for the Brixton Herald about how we Ozzies and Ozzies-to-be don't want it to be turned into "another Hamilton, NZ", where the only ones buzzing are bored bees and the only thing "kicking", as the kids say in London, is a cow after being milked by a farmer with sharp fingernails.

Wilf - not dead yet.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by BritboyNZ
This has got to be a joke, right?! I think that councillor has delusions of grandeur. I really *cannot* see hordes of migrants marching down SH1 to invade Hamilton. It is probably one of the most boring places in NZ, joint second with Palmerston North. Invercargill taking the top spot. I defy anyone to challenge this
On the money!
Old Sep 10th 2003, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

hamiltonnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive only lived in Hamilton for 40 years and yes hamilton is a dog of a place .......if you dont like being only 1 hour from the west coast beachs, 11/2 hours from the east coast beaches, 2 hours from the ski fields, 11/2 hours from lake taupo, 1 hour from lake Rotorua and if you want to go to Auckland for a burger its 11/4 hours. If you dont like mountain biking or hiking in the local ranges or rockclimbing or trout fishing in nearby streams dont come here!. And if you dont want a fairly laid back lifestyle with some nice countryside to look at dont come to Hamilton. If you like cramped apartments and high cost housing stay away please. Dont know what Brixton is like. Sounds like it must be very similar. I dont like the winter weather here though I must admit.

The Councillors would not be talking about all immigrants by the way. But if you have alot of unskilled immigrants who can hardly speak a word of English coming to any town in numbers it can create racial/economical/religious/social problems. Its due to Helen Clarks "let anyone in" Labour policy. A recent migrant was arrested because he was knowingly sowing his seeds when he knew he had aids. Another is being held here because he has possible terrorist connections - his stay is paid for by the taxpayer. You gotta watch who you let in - At least John Howards realises that.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 9:59 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Australian Citizens do that crap here. NZ allows them all in without checks.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 4:31 am
Just Joined

miss brodie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Wilf
I am also interested in many things. I have many friends and family in NZ and so yes, it interests me. You should feel free to post on the subject of Australia or anywhere else if you like; be my guest. I look at the NZ Herald website about once a week. I look at the Guardian in the UK daily. It is called being interested in the world, something alien to you? That is the effect of being in NZ.

The New Zealand Herald is the largest newspaper in NZ, not a "local paper" as you said, so does that change your view or it is now "largest newspapers in the country are the same the world over ..."?

I did not say, at all, anything about NZ's friendliness once you are there, from the people in the street. Kiwis are good and bad like everywhere else and in the same proportions - do not believe the propaganda just because the reputation is "Kiwis are so friendly" - some are, some are not. Like everywhere. It is a global village now, you see, and there are crooks and tossers in every village. There is also the village bobby and the cake shop.

Why are you trying to have a dig with this "your obsession" rubbish? NZ OEs interests me, this is a Oz/NZ forum, it is a relevant topic, I post. That is no obsession. I am much more obsessed with many things than NZ - it interests me, that is all. It is a crime to not share your narrow interests and world view?

The poms and Ozzies, etc, in NZ are on their backpacking round the world holiday and are certainly not there to earn money and pay off student loans/earn the deposits for houses. You must be drinking the water in Masterton without boiling it (I read it in the NZ Herald, that local paper written for the 1.3 million in Auckland you dismissed earlier) if you think foreignes go to NZ on their OE with the intention of making money. However, career development and earning are becoming the principal reasons for the kiwis to set off on their "OEs" (which are now lastig years if they have the right to stay - and please do not trot out the tired old "they go back after two years" - it is a coincidence that the majority of them do not have the right to stay longer in the UK?)

You would do well to read the local paper (NZ Herald) more - you seem very badly informed about your home.

Wilf

PS I have spent a lot of time in NZ over the years, sponging off friends and family, including your town of Wellington, so I have a lot of knowledge of the place at first hand - perhaps more than you? I know the following parts of Wellington well: Johnsonville and Khandallah, down to the street level and knowing some people who work in the shopping centre at Johnsonville - I speak to people in the street and shops, you see, and I am not even a Kiwi. And you know what? About half of them don't even give you the time of day, so don't give me this bull of Kiwis are perfect - they are like everywhere where there are not many people and people are not too scared of eachother. What amazes me is that despite the very easy atmosphere there and little stress on the streets there are so many rude and selfish prats - what is their excuse? I will bust a bit more propaganda for you...

Given the circumstances, Londoners are great and very friendly. If you speak to them, they speak back, and those who say otherwise are too wet to even talk to people without making the break through the initial reserve/fear of those in a big, rough place like London. I did not see people speaking to eachother in NZ any more than in London and they walk around with the same frowns and avoid looking at eachother in exactly the same way. I know why Londoners feel the need to do this, but Kiwis have no excuse except that they are not comfortable with eachother (due to low densities).
Tut, tut Wilf. Personal attack is a sure sign of an inadequate argument. And I am amused and delighted by the speed with which you post your entertainingly rambling messages. I guess that it was not signing on day for you yesterday.

Wellington is not 'my' town. It is the place I have chosen to live for the moment. London is not my least favourite city - that particular prize goes to Manchester. In fact I quite enjoyed my time living in London and Londoners, on the whole were perfectly friendly.

Visiting a place is very different to living there and so I cannot see how your Johnsonville vacations are at all relevant. Nor can I fathom why you think I might be interested in your 'knowledge' of Johnsonville and Khandallah. As for talking to people 'on the street' ...... my profession puts me in touch with all kinds of people from all kinds of backgrounds, most of whom welcome skilled migrants and young people on OEs. Sure, there are those who feel differently, but people are entitled to their views in a democracy....just as people are entitled to seek a new life in another country if that's what they want.

Now, I am becoming very tired of the 'world view according to Wilf'. You might benefit from less talking and more doing. A job with the London tourist board perhaps so that you can ram its virtues down the throats of people who actually want to listen.

Miss B
Old Sep 11th 2003, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

We love Hamilton, our 2 pet rabbits have just won prizes there in a Pet Rabbit contest. Made the day for our children.

Gill and Rob
Old Sep 11th 2003, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by miss brodie
Tut, tut Wilf. Personal attack is a sure sign of an inadequate argument. And I am amused and delighted by the speed with which you post your entertainingly rambling messages. I guess that it was not signing on day for you yesterday.

Wellington is not 'my' town. It is the place I have chosen to live for the moment. London is not my least favourite city - that particular prize goes to Manchester. In fact I quite enjoyed my time living in London and Londoners, on the whole were perfectly friendly.

Visiting a place is very different to living there and so I cannot see how your Johnsonville vacations are at all relevant. Nor can I fathom why you think I might be interested in your 'knowledge' of Johnsonville and Khandallah. As for talking to people 'on the street' ...... my profession puts me in touch with all kinds of people from all kinds of backgrounds, most of whom welcome skilled migrants and young people on OEs. Sure, there are those who feel differently, but people are entitled to their views in a democracy....just as people are entitled to seek a new life in another country if that's what they want.

Now, I am becoming very tired of the 'world view according to Wilf'. You might benefit from less talking and more doing. A job with the London tourist board perhaps so that you can ram its virtues down the throats of people who actually want to listen.

Miss B

I am retired not unemployed.

Why read my stuff if it tires you? I am not on the O level syllabus.

You write like something out of Brideshead Revisited. Pack in the affectations and be yourself.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

hamiltonnz is an unknown quantity at this point

You write like something out of Brideshead Revisited. Pack in the affectations and be yourself.
Wilf, you love to belittle people dont you. sarcasm is the lowest form of wit and insult a sure sign that you dont have an argument as someone else has said. have you got a giant inferiority complex or something? Why should we have to put you on hold or ignore? Man youre clogging up the board and your posts are slowing down my computer something terrible so I have a personal interest Ok. Ever thought of coming out of retirement ? From Deputy Dawg
Old Sep 11th 2003, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by hamiltonnz
Wilf, you love to belittle people dont you. sarcasm is the lowest form of wit and insult a sure sign that you dont have an argument as someone else has said. have you got a giant inferiority complex or something? Why should we have to put you on hold or ignore? Man youre clogging up the board and your posts are slowing down my computer something terrible so I have a personal interest Ok. Ever thought of coming out of retirement ? From Deputy Dawg

Not really. You are newish on the forum and maybe not aware that I have taken a lot of flak from people on here so it does not all come out of a vacuum. I know you will think I deserve all I get and I will not try to change your mind. You have every right to your opinion old son.

I have taken plenty of stick here too so I am not let off from it - mostly from people I had never even posted to. I took a lot from someone recently and I got the hump and went off for a bit. Then he says I am too thin skinned and he was right, so I posted a bit of banter back to him and off we go again. I certainly reserve my actual digs for the gentlemen, I think I can say.

I am an OK sort of person in my real life and I do not share your overly selfish approach to who can and cannot come into my country, so while I may be not to your liking, and may sound unkind on here, I am more generous than you seem to be anyway, and that does me.

Anyway, as I say, I am no ban it brigade member, so I am happy to get your opinions. Now I have seen that I am slowing down your computer, though, that does put a different light on things and I will certainly stop posting now.

All the best with your charitable works of anti-immigrant emigration,

Wilf
Old Sep 11th 2003, 8:35 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Wilf, I find it interesting you are accusing Hamilton & NZ of being 'prejudice'. And please correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure you will) but in general I get the impression you think NZers are a little smallminded and unsophisticated?

'Prejudice' on dictionary.com: An adverse judgment or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge or examination of the facts.
A preconceived preference or idea.

Ummmm, aren't you yourself Wilf, in fact prejudice against NZ??? Aren't you exhibiting the same attributes you so dislike in 'NZers'.

To an extent I agree with you - it's certainly demonstrated in this thread - some NZer's (and Australians and Brits) are prejudiced, smallminded, and unsophisticated. A few responses on this thread resort to pathetically knocking Hamilton, in the same way Wellingtonians knock Auckland, South Islanders knock North Islands, NZers knock Australia, Aussies knock 'Poms', and Brits knock the USA & Europe. It's all just pathetic insecurity dressed up as a joke. Ever notice how the victims of such 'knocking' could care less - they are secure in their own knowledge that they like where they are and don't have to knock other places. They also don't need external affirmation that their town is best.... as you appear to need for the UK

I love (and at times hate) Hamilton, Auckland, Oxford, London, or wherever I happen to be - that's life.....

PS Wilf you are one of the best trolls I have seen in a long time and I should know better than to bring this thread to the top once again, but you are so skillful at trolling you got me once again!

Last edited by jandjuk; Sep 11th 2003 at 3:11 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 8:36 am
Just Joined

miss brodie is an unknown quantity at this point

Another personal attack Wilf. Very entertaining. As you have said yourself, it is good to take an interest in other people. I can post messages to whoever I like - again one of the characteristics of a democracy. Do you have a problem with my command of the English language? I thought that you might approve.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 2:52 pm
NZ 2004 ... Inshallah

robernelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Kiwis are good and bad like everywhere else and in the same proportions - do not believe the propaganda just because the reputation is "Kiwis are so friendly" - some are, some are not. Like everywhere. It is a global village now, you see, and there are crooks and tossers in every village.
Of course there are good and bad but as for "...and in the same proportions"? Nah, can't go for this. London proportionally wins hands down on unfriendliness in my humble opinion. Better record shops though....

Rob
Old Sep 12th 2003, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

S/pick is an unknown quantity at this point

There is no such thing as a yardie (more media hype) and the whole of London As crack, heroin, E's etc. Now of course it is speading to more outer city area. A place is what you make of it and no one would stop me from living there. As they say the world is you oyster. Whatever a oyster has to do with anything.