Weight question

Old May 25th 2006, 11:32 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Weight question

Ok we submitted our PR application yesterday and only have the medicals to endure next week. Now I'm a little ahem OK A LARGE amount overweight ( about 3 stones) and am worried they will say im too fat! Is there a limit for BMI or will they just tell me Im a fat cow and need to lose some weight?
Old May 26th 2006, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weight question

From what I understand, if your BMI is above a certain number they can ask for further tests and mark your medical as Cat B not A (which can mean 6 months to validate instead of 12).
Old May 26th 2006, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by meelie
Ok we submitted our PR application yesterday and only have the medicals to endure next week. Now I'm a little ahem OK A LARGE amount overweight ( about 3 stones) and am worried they will say im too fat! Is there a limit for BMI or will they just tell me Im a fat cow and need to lose some weight?
We came on temp visa and had to apply for PR. Is that the situation you're in?

When we went for our medicals the examiner/doctor told us that although there was a bmi ratio (can't remember what it was though) which you have to pass, on appeal the director of immigration has superiority over the director for health and so he believed all appeals on this grounds were successful.

For what it's worth I'm 5'9 and 4 stones over weight and I got through OK.

Don't worry too much unless it will actually help you in any way.

Good luck

Flip
Old May 26th 2006, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

Sue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really nice

Hi

I too was 3 stones overweight despite trying hard to lose it, without much luck. My medicals were ok.

Since being here, I have put on a further stone, much to my disappointment

I have just had another medical for my life insurance, apparently, if your BMI is over 35 (mine was 35.2), then further tests are required. In addition to the usual blood pressure etc., they took some blood to test for chlosterol, liver and kidney function, which I might add all came back fine.

Don't worry yourself too much or you will send your blood pressure soaring

Good luck

Sue
Old May 26th 2006, 3:07 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

They will just tell you that your a fat cow & get on that treadmill.

Have you just put this weight on since coming to Aus? Saw pic of you with other nurses & looked great.
3 stone overweight from what? From Paris Hilton???

Ive also seen Flip & if shes 4 stone overweight then I'm a dutchman.

Goed geluk aan u allebei
Old May 26th 2006, 3:07 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

They are less worried about BMI until it gets to like 40 I think - I did put on here once what the guidelines were... but I forget. People talk about 35+ BMI but really thats irrelevant unless you have consequential problems (see below)

The meds have 2 categories, A or B. One is 'ok' the other is ' for review ' . For review means that it goes to a panel (ie a call centre) of medical people who read it and asess any further info they may or more likely may not want. If you are high BMI they may want blood tests for diabetes etc.

They are more focused on you actually having a problem as a consequence of wait than anything else - and there are very few things that weight causes that will affect the material costs of medical treatment and therefore the visa.

They look out for Diabetes, Heart trouble, etc - you should know if you have this stuff already. In any case none of these are in the category of auto qualifying you out for medical reasons - HIV for example and other seriously expensive illnesses are. Its a financial burden judgement on the aussie health system.

People get very stressed about medicals - you should know already if you are seriously ill, and if you are unlucky enough to find out at the medical I figure the visa would be least of the problems!.
Old May 26th 2006, 3:19 am
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flip
We came on temp visa and had to apply for PR. Is that the situation you're in?

When we went for our medicals the examiner/doctor told us that although there was a bmi ratio (can't remember what it was though) which you have to pass, on appeal the director of immigration has superiority over the director for health and so he believed all appeals on this grounds were successful.

For what it's worth I'm 5'9 and 4 stones over weight and I got through OK.

Don't worry too much unless it will actually help you in any way.

Good luck

Flip
Thanks Flip and yes we are here on a 4 year visa.
Old May 26th 2006, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

there is a support thread if you want to lose any of the weight... dieters for oz started by lacey21... tons of people have asked the same question on there. may be worth having a read to relieve some of your worries.
Old May 26th 2006, 3:25 am
Nicest member ( I think)

Originally Posted by Bordy
They will just tell you that your a fat cow & get on that treadmill.

Have you just put this weight on since coming to Aus? Saw pic of you with other nurses & looked great.
3 stone overweight from what? From Paris Hilton???

Goed geluk aan u allebei
Oh Bordy Bordy Bordy knew I could rely on someone to come back with the insults then make it all better with compliments. AS for the fat cow bit, well I am a Taurean.
Sadly nursing isn't good for ones health and unfortunately I have put on a 'little' weight since coming to OZ, a result of using food for comfort when I first came cos I was a lonely gal! Did lose some weight a few months ago but put it straight back on as is usual when you diet. Oh well I'll just have to make sure I have a good clear out and a wee before I go, at least that will lighten me a little.
I actually have low blood pressure for a 'fat cow' so I don't have to worry about that anyway.
Old May 26th 2006, 3:26 am
Nicest member ( I think)

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
there is a support thread if you want to lose any of the weight... dieters for oz started by lacey21... tons of people have asked the same question on there. may be worth having a read to relieve some of your worries.
Thanks will do.
Old May 26th 2006, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks will do.
your welcome. I asked the same question many moons ago and am also 3stone still overweight after already losing 3 stone... weightwatchers for me hun regardless of anyone reassuring
Old May 26th 2006, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bordy

Goed geluk aan u allebei
Love you for this. What's such a handsome clogwearer like you doing in a place like this?

Flip

PS what's "Goed geluk ....., etc" mean?
Old May 26th 2006, 4:12 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by flip
Love you for this. What's such a handsome clogwearer like you doing in a place like this?

Flip

PS what's "Goed geluk ....., etc" mean?
It means good luck to you both and theres still no way you are 4 stone overweight.
Old May 26th 2006, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

Loz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Weight question

I'm in the same boat. About 3 stones overweight. I went for a checkup at my GPs and had my bloods done.
Results came back yesterday and everything was normal. The doc's face was a picture when he read my blood pressure "...... but this is normal" says he in disbelief.haha

It has taken a great weight off my mind. I've also joined a gym, have only been going a week but feel great. Just taking a few positive steps has really changed my outlook.

Good luck, Loz.
Old May 26th 2006, 7:48 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
They are less worried about BMI until it gets to like 40 I think - I did put on here once what the guidelines were... but I forget. People talk about 35+ BMI but really thats irrelevant unless you have consequential problems (see below)
I think thats because at a BMI of 40+ you no longer can used skilled migration and instead its whale migration

Seriously though at a BMI of 40 someone has got some more serious problems than worrying about a medical, like living through the next few years! Thats morbid obesity. Having said that anything 30+ is really not good health wise at all and in the long term people can look forward to all sorts of nasty problems with the ultimate short life expectancy.

Many people use the life change of emmigration to change other things about themselves. Clinically speaking its a proven tactic that increases the chance of success. I hope some people use the opportunity as things dont necessarily get better in Australia, we're just below the UK in the worlds most obese nations.