Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

selling house before visa

selling house before visa

Old May 25th 2006, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold
Question selling house before visa

Is it just me who thinks it is mad to sell your house before the visa is granted.Hear of so many of you out there that do it. What if something goes dramastically wrong. I dont love my mother in law tht much!!!!!
Old May 25th 2006, 4:32 pm
One of Big G's girls.

Loubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: selling house before visa

Originally Posted by raven
Is it just me who thinks it is mad to sell your house before the visa is granted.Hear of so many of you out there that do it. What if something goes dramastically wrong. I dont love my mother in law tht much!!!!!
Couldn't live with any of my rellies :scared:
If I'd got some savings, I'd probably either rent the house out or let the estate agent sell it, so that I could go sooner. Sadly, I need the money from the sale to pay shippers / flights / rental etc.
Perhaps I'll just go and check my lotto ticket from last night
Old May 25th 2006, 6:46 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We sold our house last weekend, with a closing date of August 10th. If we don't have a visa by then we can always rent for a while. No way we could possibly live with my in-laws. I cannot stand my in-laws and would never even ask them. We lived with my sister for 4 months in 2004 while we waited for this house to be ready, so if she invited us then I would probably stay with her again. If by some chance things go terribly wrong and we are refused, then we will simply buy a new house here in Canada. Maybe in a different area, but really can't see any reason to be refused.
Old May 25th 2006, 6:50 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: selling house before visa

We have sold our house before we applied for our visa!!!

We will be in rented accommodation for a few months but at least this gives us the flexibility to book flights etc without having to rely on someone else's ability to exchange.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old May 25th 2006, 6:59 pm
Adelaide a go go

kiltedjedi is a glorious beacon of lightkiltedjedi is a glorious beacon of lightkiltedjedi is a glorious beacon of lightkiltedjedi is a glorious beacon of lightkiltedjedi is a glorious beacon of lightkiltedjedi is a glorious beacon of lightkiltedjedi is a glorious beacon of lightkiltedjedi is a glorious beacon of lightkiltedjedi is a glorious beacon of lightkiltedjedi is a glorious beacon of lightkiltedjedi is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
We have sold our house before we applied for our visa!!!

We will be in rented accommodation for a few months but at least this gives us the flexibility to book flights etc without having to rely on someone else's ability to exchange.

Cheers

Buzzy
We've exchanged contracts with a view to complete in a couple of weeks. secured a rental already. If Australia say no then we're moving out the area back to Scotland anyway. Our view was that the house is the single biggest thing that could scupper a move
Old May 25th 2006, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

KelnIan is a jewel in the roughKelnIan is a jewel in the roughKelnIan is a jewel in the roughKelnIan is a jewel in the rough

Hi there

We are one of the mad ones, who have sold our house before getting the visa. We were told that the turn around time for a 457 visa was weeks rather than months and originally OH new employer wanted him in Sydney for the end of June, although that has change now. We got a buyer for our house last week, and things seem to be moving pretty quickly already, have been told by the agent that the visa should be here very soon. Fingers crossed hay. I think it is a worry which way round you do it, just had to go for it.
Perhaps we are mad urgh!!!!! the stress.
Have several options it sale goes through and we are not ready to go, not idea ones but just have to make do for the very short term I hope!!!
Old May 25th 2006, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

KelnIan is a jewel in the roughKelnIan is a jewel in the roughKelnIan is a jewel in the roughKelnIan is a jewel in the rough

Although, if I may just add, would never book flights with out the visa, have heard of someone doing that on here, now that is scary.
Old May 25th 2006, 7:23 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

We're desparately trying to get our house ready for sale so we can get it on the market ASAP. We're 'expecting' a visa in a couple of months maybe but if you wait till you've got the visa THEN think about the house sale it will take another 3-4 months AT LEAST - quite possibly more. Now THAT would drive me mad!!!!!

Graham
Old May 25th 2006, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of

We sold ours to...see below .....we 'hope' to complete June 12th
HE WHO DARES...
Old May 25th 2006, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northerner
We're desparately trying to get our house ready for sale so we can get it on the market ASAP. We're 'expecting' a visa in a couple of months maybe but if you wait till you've got the visa THEN think about the house sale it will take another 3-4 months AT LEAST - quite possibly more. Now THAT would drive me mad!!!!!

Graham

Yep. It is a nightmare having your visa and not being able to go due to waiting to sell the house. Every week feels like a month.
Old May 25th 2006, 8:00 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

We're trying to sell ours. If we sell soon we'll rent for a while. If it all goes tits up we'll buy a new house, hubby was made redundant and is temping so if we don't get visa at least we'll be free to move for his work......

Lou
xx
Old May 25th 2006, 8:06 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
Yep. It is a nightmare having your visa and not being able to go due to waiting to sell the house. Every week feels like a month.
Oops... Soz Wendy...

Going through though isn't it??? Hopefully it'll be sorted soon, then you're off the other side of t' world!

Graham
Old May 25th 2006, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northerner
Oops... Soz Wendy...

Going through though isn't it??? Hopefully it'll be sorted soon, then you're off the other side of t' world!

Graham

No need to be sorry hun, just wanted to tell it like it is
Old May 25th 2006, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

We sold our houise 5 months before we left.
Ended up with MIL, omg omg :scared: 5 months of hell.
Not spoken since, 12 000 miles away is great.
Dont live with rellies if you can help it, the stress of it all is bound to make things worse, and you dont want to leave on bad terms.
But i dont regret selling the house when we did.
Denise
Old May 25th 2006, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KelnIan
Although, if I may just add, would never book flights with out the visa, have heard of someone doing that on here, now that is scary.
Twas us i think,
got visa on the Friday, flew on the Sunday :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.