Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

weekly expenses, am I right?

weekly expenses, am I right?

Old Apr 13th 2007, 12:50 am
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: weekly expenses, am I right?

Originally Posted by 007
What really seems to be going up is food in recent years.

For instance, toilet paper has doubled in price in the last 2 years & potatoes have gone up 60%.

It's not cheap to live in oz any more.

You don't move here to make money.

Yes they showed that on some morning program. The figure they had for toilet paper was like you said, over 100%. In fact 103% lol! They commented on that program that although supermarkets blame the drought they could not account for how toilet paper would be relevant to drought hardships. I believe it is all just part of this greediness that prevails today.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Three Legs
I would say that's not a bad estimate. We actually spend more

Yep, we do too....our monthly expenses are approx $5500 per month.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Our monthly expenses including mortgage is about 50pc of one single salary.

Its almost meaningless to compare with other people.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by marke
hello folks,

Here is an attempt at a novel take on the dreaded "cost of living" question!

I am trying to find out what the average monthly expenses are for a family of four living in an aussie city. (This would include morgage, food, water and lights, schooling, entertainment/leasure, house maintenance, TV/telephones, insurances, and car payments and a few bits and bobs).

I recently took the various weekly expenses described on various different discussion forums, and found that the average monthly expenses for a family of two adults and two youngish children was in the region of A$4100.00

What is your opinion on this? Does it sound accurate?
So what is deemed as a good salary here. We felt my husband needed to earn £50k in England. Would $80k - $90 be good here?
Old Apr 13th 2007, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
So what is deemed as a good salary here. We felt my husband needed to earn £50k in England. Would $80k - $90 be good here?
In real terms, 80-90 might not be as much as GBP50k but it is a good salary.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Mida is just really niceMida is just really niceMida is just really niceMida is just really niceMida is just really niceMida is just really niceMida is just really niceMida is just really niceMida is just really nice

[QUOTE=Geelong Gent;4634133]http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...1/002&st=&cy=1

Thanks, just had a look at that

I have only been on the internet a month and did try to look for an australian tax web site but there were so many I didn't know where to begin I had read a thread on another site giving the tax break down and the amount given for the 42% tax was way lower than in the above.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Mida is just really niceMida is just really niceMida is just really niceMida is just really niceMida is just really niceMida is just really niceMida is just really niceMida is just really niceMida is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wendy
Why would he be taxed at 42% He'd have to be earning a hell of a lot of money to be taxed anywhere near that.
Unfortunately not, see above. Otherwise I would be in a castle guzzling champagne(don't like fish) It's just for us.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=Mida;4639241]
Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...1/002&st=&cy=1

Thanks, just had a look at that

I have only been on the internet a month and did try to look for an australian tax web site but there were so many I didn't know where to begin I had read a thread on another site giving the tax break down and the amount given for the 42% tax was way lower than in the above.
Did you look at the 2006-7 rates. That high rate kicks in fairly high - make no mistake.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 12:35 am
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
An extremely good salary!!! Most people I know including myself are more around the 40K to 50K mark. When I was teaching I was only getting 50K or thereabouts as an experienced teacher.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 11:13 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alicecat
An extremely good salary!!! Most people I know including myself are more around the 40K to 50K mark. When I was teaching I was only getting 50K or thereabouts as an experienced teacher.
Not necessarily. It all depends on your family circumstances, your location etc etc etc. That salary alone wouldn't go that far where I live (Sydney).

It's too personal a topic to be able to generalise about.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

olauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by alicecat

I'd be very happy to earn 40K as a 1st year migrant..
Old Apr 16th 2007, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
My main worry is that I want to stay at home with our two littles ones until they go to kindy in about 1/2 years. I don't mind taking a bit of a hit for hit but we obviously don't want to lose too much money each month
Old Apr 16th 2007, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
My main worry is that I want to stay at home with our two littles ones until they go to kindy in about 1/2 years. I don't mind taking a bit of a hit for hit but we obviously don't want to lose too much money each month
I earn 85k and am a few weeks away from having 2 kids. We do fine on one income you specify with Chief i/c childcare during the week. The second has breast milk and all the clothes from her sister so she won't add to the expense for a while.