Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Websites for Electrical items in Singapore

Websites for Electrical items in Singapore

Old Jun 22nd 2003, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

PADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to all
Question Websites for Electrical items in Singapore

We plan on flying out to Oz in August and will probably stopover in Singapore for a night. Does anyone know of any useful websites in Singapore where you can get an idea of the cost of electrical items. Is it that much cheaper? We are looking buy a multi region recordable dvd player amongst other things.

Many thanks if you can help.
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

TomJ is an unknown quantity at this point

In Singapore U can go to Mustafa Centre..U'll get all u need..
Most of the DVD players are multi region(Or decoded)

Their website won't have much info about products

But u can have a look at http://www.mustafa.com.sg/
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

PADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to all

Thanks for that TomJ. I shall have a look at this right now.

Cheers
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

PADDAD'

I flew out to Melbourne from London via Singapore 2 months ago and was on the look out for a digital camcorder as I had stupidly left mine at home. I had a look in the duty free shop at Heathrow before i went and thought the prices there were pretty cheap. I decided however to leave it and look in Singapore Airport because I'd heard it was cheaper out there. However I didnt think the prices there were any cheaper than in Dixons or Currys in the UK. I dont know if its cheaper out of the Airport actually in Singapore or not. In the end I had my camcorder sent by a well known courier company for £85. Unfortunately Australian customs and quarantine held it for inspection and it ended up taking 10 days to get to me instead of the 3 days promised.
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that Migrantoz

I am now reconsidering buying a dvd player here. It seems I can pick up a multi region recordable dvd player for £367.00 online in the UK which is a lot less than I had anticipated. Unfortunately neither Dixons or Currys stock multi regional recordable dvd players.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 12:35 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PADDAD
Thanks for that Migrantoz

I am now reconsidering buying a dvd player here. It seems I can pick up a multi region recordable dvd player for £367.00 online in the UK which is a lot less than I had anticipated. Unfortunately neither Dixons or Currys stock multi regional recordable dvd players.
I reckon Singapore, outside the airport, would be much cheaper but the problem is you'd have to pay import duty on it on arrival in Oz unless you managed to hide it away in your luggage somehow, (not recomended.)
Old Jun 24th 2003, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the input Renth

Gosh Ceri what a lot of useful info, many thanks.

I agree that it seems that the recordable multi region dvd players in Oz are really expensive as I did some independent research on this some weeks back.

The website that I used to track down this spec of dvd was www.pricerunner.com. It basically gives you the best available price on the spec that you input from various retailers. This is how I found my dvd player i.e. "Philips DVDR880 multi region" (make sure you specify multi region with this model) which basically supports most formats i.e. mp3 support, CD-R support, DVD-R playback, DVD-RW playback, VCD support, SVCD support etc.. It seems to have a lot that most other recordable multi regions don't have.

The website that I have now bought this item from is www.webelectricals.co.uk.

Many thanks again
Old Jun 24th 2003, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Just to add, I paid £369.99 which includes free delivery.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

To add further ....

Webelectrical phoned me back to say that they have no DVDr880 machines left as these have now been replaced by the dvdR70 which is their brand new model and cost £10 more. The reason I didn't go for this model originally is because pricerunner have listed the spec incorrectly as originally it didn't appear to have everything that the dvdr880 but I can now confirm that it does and in fact has a lot more.

Sorry about the ramble but am currently in a mad rush!
Old Jun 24th 2003, 1:12 pm
Sun Dodger

Bluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really nice

try http://www.richersounds.co.uk .Ive got one of the cheaper models which plays mp3, SVCD, CDR/W etc. Its even got a Dolby 5.1 decoder and its multi-region. Cost me £70 3 months ago. Brilliant machine especially for the money.

Dave
Old Jun 24th 2003, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Will try that website Dave thanks.

I know that the non recordable multi region dvd players are a lot cheaper.

many thanks