Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Webcam - Help Please?

Webcam - Help Please?

Old May 12th 2005, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

michdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant future
Default Webcam - Help Please?

We're moving to Sydney on June 25th & I'd really like to set up my parents with a webcam & broadband before we go so they can keep in touch with our son & of course us, via picture & not just the phone.

Neither my husband or myself are particularly technical when it comes to computers so I wondered whether anyone out there could give me the idiot's guide on what we need to do this. We would probably communicate via voice & picture rather than typing to each other. Can anyone advise, please??

Thanks
Old May 12th 2005, 7:31 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Webcam - Help Please?

Originally Posted by michdp
We're moving to Sydney on June 25th & I'd really like to set up my parents with a webcam & broadband before we go so they can keep in touch with our son & of course us, via picture & not just the phone.

Neither my husband or myself are particularly technical when it comes to computers so I wondered whether anyone out there could give me the idiot's guide on what we need to do this. We would probably communicate via voice & picture rather than typing to each other. Can anyone advise, please??

Thanks
The Logitech Quickcam Messenger seems to be a favourite on here. It's dead easy to set up - run the CD and wait for the prompt to plug the camera in.

I use a combination of Skype and MSN Messenger for voice and video. Skype does the voice very well over broadband and the video on MSN is fairly good. Both progs are free too

Once installed, both programs have the option to create a new account and 5 minutes later you're ready to chat.
Old May 12th 2005, 7:33 pm
Sydneysider & loving it!!

molloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by michdp

Thanks
Hi,

The easiest thing to do is buy a webcam with microphone and install MSN Messenger http://messenger.msn.co.uk

Or you can use MSN for the camera and download http://www.skype.com for voice as it is better quality.

Both Skype and MSN websites have step by step install and user guides on them and are free so saves paying for phone calls.

Good luck!!

Mike.
Old May 12th 2005, 7:34 pm
Sydneysider & loving it!!

molloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by wmoore
The Logitech Quickcam Messenger seems to be a favourite on here. It's dead easy to set up - run the CD and wait for the prompt to plug the camera in.

I use a combination of Skype and MSN Messenger for voice and video. Skype does the voice very well over broadband and the video on MSN is fairly good. Both progs are free too

Once installed, both programs have the option to create a new account and 5 minutes later you're ready to chat.
Swine! Beat me to it!!
Old May 12th 2005, 7:38 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by molloymj
Swine! Beat me to it!!
Note to Molloy: Must try harder
Old May 12th 2005, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

I havent migrated yet, but already use a Logitech Quickcam Messenger Webcam, MSN Messenger and Skype....am hoping to use them all when I make the move..they work great so far

SS
Old May 12th 2005, 8:46 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wmoore
Note to Molloy: Must try harder

They do say "Great minds think alike".

or was it "Fools seldom differ"
Old May 12th 2005, 8:47 pm
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by Bordy
They do say "Great minds think alike".

or was it "Fools seldom differ"
Yeah, one or the other

You cheeky ......
Old May 15th 2005, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

michdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Webcam - Help Please?

Thanks for all the help. We're going to buy a webcam & give it all a go!!
Old May 15th 2005, 6:55 am
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future

i think the new messenger 7 accomodates both video and voice now. i have never got round to trying it yet, but thats what i have read.