Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Web Cam communications between Oz and UK

Web Cam communications between Oz and UK

Old Oct 3rd 2001, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Teri M is just really niceTeri M is just really niceTeri M is just really niceTeri M is just really niceTeri M is just really niceTeri M is just really niceTeri M is just really niceTeri M is just really nice

Hi! Does anyone have any experience of using Web Cams to communicate between Oz and the UK? We are thinking of getting one for us and one for my Mum, so we can talk and see each other (I know there may be a slight time delay)... however, does it still only cost the same as an internet call (i.e. local Oz call?, also does the size of your processor/RAM/Hard Drive or whatever make a difference, for instance, if we send pics/talk from our computer which could be a 1Gb Processor, large ram, huge hard drive, onto Mum`s computer, 450mz Processor, smaller ram and smaller hard drive, would it make any difference?

Any technically minded bods out there care to give me some advice please???

Thanks. Teri
Old Oct 3rd 2001, 11:17 pm
Juan Jose Garcia Ade

On Wed, 03 Oct 2001 21:15:23 GMT, Teri M <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Go ahead, it is a great idea. I live in the US, a friend of mine in Sydney, and
another one in Spain. The three of us chat (voice) every Sunday through Yahoo
Messenger and see to each other with webcams. It is a great experience. It is even
better than telephone, as we can talk the three of us at the same time. You don't
have to use Yahoo Messenger, there are many applications you can use, like
Netmeeting, etc.

About the computer features, don't worry at all about it. The main bottle-neck you
will find is the bandwidth of your Internet connection. We use 56000-baud modems and
it is enough, but it would be better with higher bandwidth. So if all of you have the
same connection bandwidth, you will see and hear the same, even when your computer
have different memory, speed, etc.

Good luck.

Old Oct 3rd 2001, 11:45 pm
X

Juan hit the nail on the head. I am in the US and communicate to Australia. I have a
cable modem and theres DSL at the other end which is very, very nice. A 1GB processor
is more than adeuate, though depending on what other apps you are running, and the
properties you assign to the picture size and quality, and your OS, I'd recommend a
minimum of 128MB RAM, 256 would be better...

Yahoo is a good one to use, as is netmeeting and a host of other apps you can
download at www.download.com. type in video conference as key words to search the
site and viola! a plethora of freeware and shareware apps (some are fantastic!).

Good luck!

>
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Hi! Does anyone have any experience of using Web Cams to communicate between Oz[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > and the UK? We are thinking of getting one for us and one for my Mum, so we can[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > talk and see each other (I know there may be a slight time delay)... however,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > does it still only cost the same as an internet call (i.e. local Oz call?, also[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > does the size of your processor/RAM/Hard Drive or whatever make a difference, for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > instance, if we send pics/talk from our computer which could be a 1Gb Processor,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > large ram, huge hard drive, onto Mum`s computer, 450mz Processor, smaller ram and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > smaller hard drive, would it make any difference?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Any technically minded bods out there care to give me some advice please???[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 3rd 2001, 11:52 pm
Juan Jose Garcia Ade

>
    >
    >

In fact, 128 and 256 MB of RAM are much more than you actually need. I use a two
years old laptop with a Pentium-II at 233MHz and just 64MB of RAM, and it works
perfectly. I have also tried in a Pentium-II at 550MHz with 32MB and the same. In
both cases on Windows 98. Basically, what I mean is that with any PC three or less
years old, you are done!

Old Oct 4th 2001, 1:22 am
X

oh yeh, I fully understand where you're coming from. But being a student, I always
have a ton of stuff going on in the background...other processes...so I need the
additional ram...which had gotten SO CHEAP these days!!! I picked up my new 256MB
Micron PC133 stick for $23.00(US)

>
    >

[usenetquote2]> > A 1GB processor is more than adeuate, though depending on what other[/usenetquote2]
apps
[usenetquote2]> > you are running, and the properties you assign to the picture size and quality,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > and your OS, I'd recommend a minimum of 128MB RAM, 256 would be better...[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >