Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I agree, Caroline B

I agree, Caroline B

Old Oct 1st 2001, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Teri M is just really niceTeri M is just really niceTeri M is just really niceTeri M is just really niceTeri M is just really niceTeri M is just really niceTeri M is just really niceTeri M is just really nice

Saw your posting re commuting, house prices, schools, doctors etc. in the South of England. Couldn`t agree more. That`s why we`re emigrating from the South of England to Australia (hopefully early next year).

However, some of the threads on this and other similar sites do tend to worry me - we`re giving up quite a good income in the UK for the sake of a "better quality of life" for us and the children... just hope it all works out. P.s. If you want to e-mail me and talk some more, let me know.

Teri
Old Oct 1st 2001, 2:26 pm
Juz

Im curious how do you can compare income,

If we pack a few sandwiches I can take my family out to the beach for about 10
dollars, that includes petrol, icecreams, and cappucinos, of course you could go mad
and spend about 20 to 30 dollars if you want to buy your lunch,

Some times it is better spend less then earn more.

Better to find out for your self.

Good Luck.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 1st 2001, 7:36 pm
Rob Edwards

Life is full of risks.......you will never never know if you never never go (as
the commercial says)...JUST DO IT.......I have lived in Australia all my life
and its great

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 1st 2001, 7:54 pm
A+V Johnson

Hi We are from south east UK and hope to move to North Brisbane (hopefully early next
year to) We applied for our visa Nov 2000 and hope to hear SOON
! My brother and family moved to North Brisbane two years ago his life has
improved 100%, leaving a 2 up 2 down semi he now has a large 4 bed house on 2 acres I
DONT THINK HE WILL BE BACK. We were in Brisbane last year and will be at Xmas this
year, from info we have obtained and things we have seen we feel 99.99% sure it's the
right thing for us and more importantly for the kid's.

Good luck

Regards AJ

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 1st 2001, 9:16 pm
Trev Glasbey

Hi, We are yet another couple from the south of england looking to migrate to
Australia (must be something in the water here!). OK, wages here are probably
much higher than Oz, but then so is the cost of housing, fuel, food, clothing,
BEER, etc etc.

Factor in bumper to bumper traffic every morning and evening, a status driven
business culture, lousy weather, laws that require you to take out membership of a
club 24 hours before you can even play bingo (no pokies here!), and a press that
assumes you are really facinated with Posh and Becks and Australia really looks like
Paradise on Earth to me!

At least the Aussies are making us Poms feel at home from the start by having DIMA
London act as efficiently as any UK government department

Trev

>
    >
SOON
    >
has
    >
on
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Saw your posting re commuting, house prices, schools, doctors etc. in the South[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > of England. Couldn`t agree more. That`s why we`re emigrating from the South of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > England to Australia (hopefully early next year).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > However, some of the threads on this and other similar sites do tend to worry me[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > - we`re giving up quite a good income in the UK for the sake of a "better quality[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > of life" for us and the children... just hope it all works out. P.s. If you want[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > to e-mail me and talk some more, let me know.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Teri[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]

Old Oct 2nd 2001, 4:08 am
George O'Neill

"Jez" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Saw your posting re commuting, house prices, schools, doctors etc. in the South[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > of England. Couldn`t agree more. That`s why we`re emigrating from the South of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > England to Australia (hopefully early next year).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > However, some of the threads on this and other similar sites do tend to worry me[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > - we`re giving up quite a good income in the UK for the sake of a "better quality[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > of life" for us and the children... just hope it all works out. P.s. If you want[/usenetquote2]

Jez and Teri, We bought a small 3 bedroom shoe box in Chippenham Wiltshire which we
basically hated living in. That was 14 months ago. We bought it in the knowledge that
we were moving to the Middle East and then eventually to Australia where we intend to
stay permanently. We only actually lived in it for 3 months. Our 3 bedroom shoebox in
a massively overcrowded expensive little island with crap weather has increased in
value by nearly 30 percent in 1 year. We have just sold it and are waiting for the
flipping great wodges of cash to appear in our bank account. I was earning 80K in the
UK, more in the Middle East and I dont have the slightest reservation about moving to
Oz for a lower income. I have saved enough money so that I can buy a "big house with
pool" for cash and take a far less stressful job to pay for my beer and the kids
education. My simple objective here is to enjoy life. I know too many people who get
hung up on their salary and spend their lives doing jobs they hate, tugging their
forelocks to moronic managers and spending 4 hours per day commuting just so that
they can go to the same holiday destinations as their "friends" and die of a heart
attack at their desk someday. Not for me.

George

Old Oct 2nd 2001, 8:58 am
Sm

Guys,

Oz rocks. I have lived in two developing countries, the UK, South Africa and Oz (the
UK the longest). Not for a moment do I regret my decision to come here. Nor do any of
the people I know who emigrated. I absolutely love it, and little in life would get
me back to the UK. It is just 1000000 times better than any of the other four places
I've lived.

I wouldn't count on the excellence of not having a class system here though - because
there's no ingrained status, a lot of people try even haaaarder - if you aren't
competing, you're falling seems to be the basis they work on. I don't tend to hang
around them, but where people want status, it's the same exhausting crap but worse -
PDAs, mobile phones, cars, gadgets, widgets, house locations.....snore.

Otherwise, for kids - why would anyone want a pokey home in Pom. Even on a good
income you can barely afford a bedit 2 hours drive out of London. etc. I know
some people don't like it here - I frequently wonder what happened to make them
not love it.

Enjoy...come here. It rocks 100%.

Seb

--
"George O'Neill" <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > Although I don't disagree that what you have done would have improved[/usenetquote2]
your
[usenetquote2]> > lives 10000%, the reason is that you sold your house in the south for[/usenetquote2]
XXXX
[usenetquote2]> > more than you bought it for perhaps, giving you the capital to move[/usenetquote2]
there?

[usenetquote2]> > > Saw your posting re commuting, house prices, schools, doctors etc. in the South[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > of England. Couldn`t agree more. That`s why we`re emigrating from the South of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > England to Australia (hopefully early next year).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > However, some of the threads on this and other similar sites do tend to worry[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > me - we`re giving up quite a good income in the UK for the sake of a "better[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > quality of life" for us and the children... just hope it all works out. P.s. If[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > you want to e-mail me and talk some more, let me know.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Teri[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 2nd 2001, 11:37 am
Andrew

It's the "better quality of life" that seems to cause confusion.

We moved out from England to Brisbane in January 1999, and since we've been here
managed to have 2 children. However, the change in lifestyle and lower disposal
income has been hard to adjust to - if we hadn't had children we probably would have
gone back within the 1st year (and quite possibly returned a year later!). However,
it's blindingly obvious to us that Australia is so much better to bring up a family
than the UK. Australian lifestyle is outdoors and kids love running around outdoors
(I would hate to think of them being stuck inside all the time if we lived in England
because of the weather).

It's hard to compare the cost of living exactly as many things appear cheap in
comparison to the UK (commuting, house prices, schools, doctors, etc), but it is
important to realise that the salaries are significantly lower than the UK. Depending
on the type of job you will probably be paid the equivalent of between 40% to 50% of
the UK salary. Food, travel, clothing are not much cheaper. The motto is bring out as
much money as you can and learn to be frugal as you can when you arrive. Develop a
new lifestyle which does not require you to spend any money like going to the beach!

Andrew.

Teri M wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 2nd 2001, 12:38 pm
Susi & Kev

Hi Andrew,

well, I cannot agree with you in "children running around outdoors".

I came to Melbourne in Oct. 99, together with my 3 boys (back then 3, 8 and
10). The first year we walked really much as we were so excited of this beautiful
country and also spent the whole summer on the beach - swimming. Last summer we
went to the beach maybe 2 times. After seeing all those jelly fish and star fish
(which are getting more and more in Port Phillip Bay) we were not so much
interested in spending the days on the beach, but did more adventure walking.
Since last autumn, my kids spend most of their time inside the house and it is
extremely hard to get them outside. The computer is not much helpful too ((. My
eldest comes home from college, turns on the PC and starts chatting with his
school mates online!!! Crazy.

Hope your kids don't change into this way...... Susi

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
cheap
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>

Old Oct 3rd 2001, 2:21 am
Ozvikings

Yep! I fully agree too! I had concerns but once you are here those evaporate very
quickly once you start working/living here.

Cheers.

Andrew <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 3rd 2001, 12:25 pm
Andrew

Hi,

Hmmmm... well my 2 are less than 3 years old and only one can actually run around
outdoors - but they both prefer to be out of the house! What they'll be like by the
time the reach the age of your eldest is anybody's guess

Also, Brisbane does not have an "Autumn" as such - there are only 2 seasons here of 6
months each - a hot humid summer and a cool drier summer! In fact I worry less when
the sun isn't as strong and they can stay outside for longer periods than during the
official summer months. I haven't been to Melbourne but it doesn't sound too
appealing to me

I'm sure things will change as soon as the temperatures warm up "down there", and
your children's mates start going out more rather than sitting inside talking
together on the computer.

Andrew.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]>> It's the "better quality of life" that seems to cause confusion.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> We moved out from England to Brisbane in January 1999, and since we've been here[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> managed to have 2 children. However, the change in lifestyle and lower disposal[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> income has been hard to adjust to - if we hadn't had children we probably would[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> have gone back within the 1st year (and quite possibly returned a year later!).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> However, it's blindingly obvious to us that Australia is so much better to bring[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> up a family than the UK. Australian lifestyle is outdoors and kids love running[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> around outdoors (I would hate to think of them being stuck inside all the time if[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> we lived in England because of the weather).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> It's hard to compare the cost of living exactly as many things appear[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> in comparison to the UK (commuting, house prices, schools, doctors, etc), but it[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> is important to realise that the salaries are significantly lower than the UK.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Depending on the type of job you will probably be paid the equivalent of between[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> 40% to 50% of the UK salary. Food, travel, clothing are not much cheaper. The[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> motto is bring out as much money as you can and learn to be frugal as you can when[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> you arrive. Develop a new lifestyle which does not require you to spend any money[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> like going to the beach![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Andrew.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Teri M wrote:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > Saw your posting re commuting, house prices, schools, doctors etc. in the South[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > of England. Couldn`t agree more. That`s why we`re emigrating from the South of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > England to Australia (hopefully early next year).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > However, some of the threads on this and other similar sites do tend to worry me[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > - we`re giving up quite a good income in the UK for the sake of a "better[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > quality of life" for us and the children... just hope it all works out. P.s. If[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > you want to e-mail me and talk some more, let me know.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > Teri[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > --[/usenetquote2]

>

Old Oct 3rd 2001, 6:56 pm
Caroline

Caroline B is on a distinguished road
Default Exodus

Well there do seem to be quite a few other disgruntled people from the South of UK out there! And it sure is going to be scary giving up good jobs when there are so many stories about job shortages in Oz. But the good thing about the ridiculous property price inflation in the UK is that at least many people have a chunk of equity to get settled housing wise..As long as they don't want to return....

Teri, If you want to contact me by email, I am on [email protected] - I can always do with hearing about other peoples' experiences & it might chivvy me along to fill in the forms! I'm afraid I can't offer any support on the spider front - I am trying not to think about those horrible hairy beasties too much (and all these 'most dangerous' programmes on TV always seem to feature Oz!)

Cheers,
Caroline
Old Oct 4th 2001, 2:22 am
Susi & Kev

Hi Andrew,

I think that now I've to change my posting into something positive (concerning the
outdoor living of my kids): Yesterday my eldest bought a skateboard!!! Yesssss! He
starts his "outdoor living".....

Susi

>
    >
    >
    >
they'll
    >
    >
    >
    >
seasons
    >
fact
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Hi Andrew,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > well, I cannot agree with you in "children running around outdoors".[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I came to Melbourne in Oct. 99, together with my 3 boys (back then 3, 8 and 10).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > The first year we walked really much as we were so excited of this beautiful[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > country and also spent the whole summer on the beach - swimming. Last summer we[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > went to the beach maybe 2 times. After seeing[/usenetquote2]
all
[usenetquote2]> > those jelly fish and star fish (which are getting more and more in Port Phillip[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Bay) we were not so much interested in spending the days on the beach, but did[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > more adventure walking. Since last autumn, my kids spend most of their time[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > inside the house and it is extremely hard to get them outside. The computer is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > not much helpful too ((. My eldest comes[/usenetquote2]
home
[usenetquote2]> > from college, turns on the PC and starts chatting with his school mates online!!![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Crazy.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Hope your kids don't change into this way...... Susi[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> >> It's the "better quality of life" that seems to cause confusion.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> We moved out from England to Brisbane in January 1999, and since we've been here[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> managed to have 2 children. However, the change in lifestyle and lower disposal[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> income has been hard to adjust to - if we hadn't had children we probably would[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> have gone back within the 1st year (and[/usenetquote2]
quite
[usenetquote2]> >> possibly returned a year later!). However, it's blindingly obvious to[/usenetquote2]
us
[usenetquote2]> >> that Australia is so much better to bring up a family than the UK. Australian[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> lifestyle is outdoors and kids love running around outdoors[/usenetquote2]
(I
[usenetquote2]> >> would hate to think of them being stuck inside all the time if we lived in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> England because of the weather).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> It's hard to compare the cost of living exactly as many things appear[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > cheap[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> in comparison to the UK (commuting, house prices, schools, doctors,[/usenetquote2]
etc),
[usenetquote2]> >> but it is important to realise that the salaries are significantly[/usenetquote2]
lower
[usenetquote2]> >> than the UK. Depending on the type of job you will probably be paid the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> equivalent of between 40% to 50% of the UK salary. Food, travel,[/usenetquote2]
clothing
[usenetquote2]> >> are not much cheaper. The motto is bring out as much money as you can[/usenetquote2]
and
[usenetquote2]> >> learn to be frugal as you can when you arrive. Develop a new lifestyle which[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> does not require you to spend any money like going to the beach![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> Andrew.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> Teri M wrote:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> > Saw your posting re commuting, house prices, schools, doctors etc. in the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> > South of England. Couldn`t agree more. That`s why we`re[/usenetquote2]
emigrating
[usenetquote2]> >> > from the South of England to Australia (hopefully early next year).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> > However, some of the threads on this and other similar sites do tend to worry[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> > me - we`re giving up quite a good income in the UK for the sake of a "better[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> > quality of life" for us and the children... just hope it all works out. P.s.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> > If you want to e-mail me and talk some more, let me know.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> > Teri[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> > --[/usenetquote2]