Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Weather warning - S Queensland coast

Weather warning - S Queensland coast

Old Feb 28th 2006, 10:02 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Weather warning - S Queensland coast

Originally Posted by moneypen20
What is it about Bayside How come our dam/reservoir is 85% full and they considered draining some if that cyclone had come down, and you have zip? Don't you pay your water bills up there

Very excited this evening btw - our first possums arrived on the veranda

Can we have some sun tomorrow please. We now have solar heating but haven't seen the piggin sun since
Ha!!! I know the answer to the dam question. As part of my investigations on where to buy a house have discussed flooding with the locals.

Apparantly in the big flood of 1974 when much of Brisbane and surrounding area were flooded much of the blame was put on the dams. The people in charge of the dams didn't discharge before the 1st cyclone so dams were full to bursting already before the 2nd cyclone hit so couldn't hold anymore and lot of places got flooded. Some places would have been flooded anyway but lot could have been saved if dam had been discharged and dam would have filled up with some of the water that flooded land round about... .

Liked this bit on end of http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ20010.html about weather sort of this is what can happen but could be something completely different...
Please be aware
Wind gusts can be a further 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height....
Old Mar 1st 2006, 12:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weather warning - S Queensland coast

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy

Whats your solar heating for? Not a pool cos you havent got one yet & it sure isnt cold enough to want to warm the house . One day & you're complaining there's no sun? Sheeesh!

BTW, its not just bayside, until last year or the year before the Gold Coast had the most severe water shortage ever in that area & had very severe water restrictions for about 4 years, you can brag all you want about the Hinze dam being at 85%, but it actually only holds enough water for about 12-18 months, so if I were you Id be praying for alot more frequent rain than you've had for the last 5 years

A great majority of Qld was/is in a drought, I hope they get rainwhere it's needed.
Actually don't have a problem with rain, it can do that as much as it likes and I just love sitting watching a real downpour - providing I'm dry of course.
Only want a bit of sun to show me that the solar bit works Turning on the electric heater bit, sort of defeats the object. We got it for the water only. The tank that was here only held about 125 litres and the bottom and top were rusted to hell I think it was original with the house - 1988 ish - only a matter of time before it died completely so we got rid before it did.

Seemed daft to put in another electric tank when for not a huge amount more we could go the solar path and hopefully in the next few years get the money back, instead of giving it all to Energex.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 12:50 am

The rain here is not like English rain so is quite refreshing when it comes as prefer the total downpour then sunshine to English days of grey and no sign of sun... .
Old Mar 1st 2006, 1:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hot foot from the Met Bureau -
" The weather situation is evolving today much as anticipated. The upper trough continues to amplify into western Queensland and we are already seeing a weak area of low pressure developing off the central coast. An extensive area of cloud and rain over the southern Coral Sea extends into eastern parts of the state. .....the most likely scenario will be for a low to develop overnight east of about Yeppoon and to then intensify as it moves slowly southwards towards Fraser Island over the next two days. We expect to see winds increase along the Capricornia and southern coasts and a Gale Warning has been issued for waters south of the Town of 1770. We also expect to see increases in waves along that same part of the coast and combined with the high tides, we could see some inundation of low lying near coastal areas. A Severe Weather Warning has been issued for coastal areas and islands between the Town of 1770 and Coolangatta."
Old Mar 1st 2006, 4:38 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hot foot from the Met Bureau -
" The weather situation is evolving today much as anticipated. The upper trough continues to amplify into western Queensland and we are already seeing a weak area of low pressure developing off the central coast. An extensive area of cloud and rain over the southern Coral Sea extends into eastern parts of the state. .....the most likely scenario will be for a low to develop overnight east of about Yeppoon and to then intensify as it moves slowly southwards towards Fraser Island over the next two days. We expect to see winds increase along the Capricornia and southern coasts and a Gale Warning has been issued for waters south of the Town of 1770. We also expect to see increases in waves along that same part of the coast and combined with the high tides, we could see some inundation of low lying near coastal areas. A Severe Weather Warning has been issued for coastal areas and islands between the Town of 1770 and Coolangatta."

pissin doon here again its great....pity ma holes have all filled up again :s
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 5:20 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty wild around the Gympie area at present I gather - and much of the town without power. Has Cresta57 been blown off his hilltop yet?
-----------------

From the Met Bureau at lunchtime-
The low is likely to move in a SW direction towards Fraser Island through this evening. Hence we will see a continuation of the severe wind and sea conditions and a gradual extension southwards. Through Friday the low will track further south and we expect wind and sea conditions to improve through the Fraser Island and Wide Bay area from Friday morning.
The system will produce heavy rain over the next 24/48 hours but exactly where that rain will fall is still not abundantly clear. The low will move south tomorrow but the precise movement of the low will determine if the heavy rain falls mostly over the sea or whether it falls along the southern coast or a little further inland. The computer models are pretty much evenly divided as to the movement of the low. A S/SW track for the low will produce vastly different amounts of rain overland to a track that is S/SE.
-----------------
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 6:09 am

Pretty wild around the Gympie area at present I gather - and much of the town without power. Has Cresta57 been blown off his hilltop yet?
-----------------

From the Met Bureau at lunchtime-
The low is likely to move in a SW direction towards Fraser Island through this evening. Hence we will see a continuation of the severe wind and sea conditions and a gradual extension southwards. Through Friday the low will track further south and we expect wind and sea conditions to improve through the Fraser Island and Wide Bay area from Friday morning.
The system will produce heavy rain over the next 24/48 hours but exactly where that rain will fall is still not abundantly clear. The low will move south tomorrow but the precise movement of the low will determine if the heavy rain falls mostly over the sea or whether it falls along the southern coast or a little further inland. The computer models are pretty much evenly divided as to the movement of the low. A S/SW track for the low will produce vastly different amounts of rain overland to a track that is S/SE.
-----------------
We def have the heavy rain in D'Bay. Haven't seen the Cresta's on the news so hopefully the house is still standing.

At least we may get to go diving Sunday still.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

cantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to all

My daughter's just brought a letter home from school this evening, A severe weather warning is current for island and coastal communities for tomorrow the school will be open as normal but if conditions deteriorate and you feel it is necessary to pick your child up early then you can do so, OMG whats the weather forecast for tomorrow anyone know....?

Paula. (Buderim)
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 6:33 am

Cool Re: Weather warning - S Queensland coast

Originally Posted by cantwait
My daughter's just brought a letter home from school this evening, A severe weather warning is current for island and coastal communities for tomorrow the school will be open as normal but if conditions deteriorate and you feel it is necessary to pick your child up early then you can do so, OMG whats the weather forecast for tomorrow anyone know....?

Paula. (Buderim)
Try these till Polly answers as she's the weather guru...

http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/qld/forecasts.shtml

http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR502.loop.shtml

Last edited by Pollyana; Apr 23rd 2006 at 7:33 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 6:56 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Still here Just
The forecast is pretty bad latest radar pics of the rainfall are here
Forecast for next few hours issued 5PM

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
SEVERE WEATHER WARNING

for people in the Southeast Coast district, eastern parts of the Wide
Bay/Burnett district and eastern parts of the Darling Downs and Granite Belt
district.
Issued at 5:00 pm on Thursday 2 March 2006

Synoptic Situation: At 4 pm, a strong high was located over the southwest
Tasman Sea. A small low was centred about 270 kilometres north northeast of
Bundaberg, and expected to move southwest to be near Fraser Island Friday
morning. Gale force winds are occurring between the two systems.

Damaging wind gusts exceeding 90 km/hr are possible about the exposed coast and
elevated terrain.

Large waves on the exposed coast will raise high tide levels above the highest
tide of the year. Coastal bars will be particularly dangerous.

Heavy rain will develop along the coast and extend inland overnight, which may
produce flash flooding. More general flooding of small coastal rivers and
streams is also possible over the next two days.

Conditions are expected to ease north of Fraser Island Friday morning.
The State Emergency Service advises that people in the affected area should:

secure loose outdoor items
beware of fallen trees and powerlines
if near the coastline, stay well away from the water's edge
avoid driving, walking or riding through flood waters

Contact the SES, listed under either State Emergency Service or your local
council in the White Pages, for emergency assistance if required.

The next warning is due to be issued by 11 pm Thursday.

This warning is also available through TV and Radio broadcasts; the Bureau's
website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 219. The Bureau and State Emergency
Service would appreciate this warning being broadcast regularly.

I know we shouldn't cut and paste but it does say they appreciate it being broadcast regularly
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 7:00 am

Glad to see you are riding it out.... Jack is puzzled to why you are called " grumpy poopy"?????
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 7:17 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Glad to see you are riding it out.... Jack is puzzled to why you are called " grumpy poopy"?????
Your not funny I've had a bit of bother accessing my account lately since the prodigal daughter thought it would be amusing to change all my details not sure if she changed my password as I can never remember it anyway
Anyway the decent drop of rain has meant that both the tanks are fully replenished and overflowing onto the ground. Deb's had a nice bath with the water nearly overflowing, a rarity on tank water. Downside is there's no hot water left and 2 days without sunshine means a cold shower in the morning.
Still you can watch the bloody grass growing here at the moment so that'll keep me busy for a week or so.
PS It's Poppy as in Grandpa O.K I know How those rumours spread you wear latex hotpants once and your the only gay in the village sheesh
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by cresta57
Your not funny I've had a bit of bother accessing my account lately since the prodigal daughter thought it would be amusing to change all my details not sure if she changed my password as I can never remember it anyway
Anyway the decent drop of rain has meant that both the tanks are fully replenished and overflowing onto the ground. Deb's had a nice bath with the water nearly overflowing, a rarity on tank water. Downside is there's no hot water left and 2 days without sunshine means a cold shower in the morning.
Still you can watch the bloody grass growing here at the moment so that'll keep me busy for a week or so.
PS It's Poppy as in Grandpa O.K I know How those rumours spread you wear latex hotpants once and your the only gay in the village sheesh
OOOpppps my mistake i'd clicked it off when I typed it so couldn't copy and it was Jacks query not mine.

You weren't the only 'Gay' Graeme bent over backwards (luckily) to join you... .

Won't she tell you the password?
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:19 pm
Home and Happy

This one is keeping the Met boys on their toes :
Latest from them -
--------------------------------------------

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
SEVERE WEATHER WARNING
for Damaging Winds, Abnormally High Tides/Dangerous Surf
for people in coastal areas of the Southeast Coast district, and Fraser Island
in the Wide Bay and Burnett district.

Issued at 9:10 am on Sunday 5 March 2006

Synoptic Situation: At 9.00 am, an intense low pressure system with central
pressure 995 hPa has continued to move west and was located about 70 kilometres
east of Cape Moreton. Gale to storm force winds are occurring around the low.

Damaging wind gusts to 115 km/hr are possible about Brisbane [including
Redcliffe and Bribie Island] and the Gold Coast as the low comes closer to the
coast.
Large waves on the exposed coast south from Fraser Island will raise high
tide levels above the highest tide of the year. Coastal bars will be
particularly dangerous.

Winds are expected to gradually ease overnight and seas will ease during Monday.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:25 pm
Home and Happy

And on a lighter note - just found a quote on ABC from a spokesman for the Maritime dept in NSW "......It's probably not a good weekend to go boating...."

No S**t Sherlock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.