Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Weather is not everything

Weather is not everything

Old Nov 18th 2007, 11:05 pm
Now an expat!

MonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really nice
Default Re: Weather is not everything

Originally Posted by the big IP
what good is sun, if you have no money, family and friends, looks like people try and " live the dream" and think it is like Home and Away
Aussie has crime, everyone doesn't have a pool, or a bbq, or thousands of pounds to bring over, we dont have lots of friends or family and all aussies are not happy go lucky people.
plus there is not a huge rainbow at the end of the yellow brick rd
any brits coming over just take a step back and think
cause once your here and you don't like it. it costs a hell of a lot more to go back
sorry if it is a bit negative, but it really annoys me when people back in england think it is like home and away
In truth if you havent got money to buy a house then Australia is just like england without the sun, and whats the use of that when you cant enjoy it, give me friends, family and rain any time.
be careful what you wish for.
Oh dear.
Sounds to me that you are describing your story and you are quite bitter about it!
The biggest mistake anyone could make is to head off to Australia thinking everything is gonna be handed to them on a plate and life is gonna be simple. If you have made a few bad choices and miss your family and friends that much then maybe you should head back?
I for one know that it is gonna be so hard, but I'm gonna have a bloody good go! I also know not all Aussies are happy go lucky types, I was assulted on a train near Frankston, but there are a lot of people in Australia, a lot happier and more cheerful than the British, English in perticular.
You are right in the fact that some people just don't look before they jump. One question remains, why did you go if you were so happy in England?
Old Nov 19th 2007, 12:10 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

What road is it you stay in?

Originally Posted by moneypen20
We're loaded since we arrived. Hubby no longer works, kids sit on the beach all day and the road outside is paved with gold. Doesn't everyone live like this
Old Nov 19th 2007, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

the big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nice

I wasn't in England when i went, i was in NZ, and i wanted to go home, we tried for England but she got refused a visa, so i said i would try here, the funny thing is that if we tried for a visa now cause we have 2 kids we would probably get it, but we cannot afford it, and when we could afford it pre kids we didnt get it.
I am not saying i was pushed into anything, i would just rather be home.
plus another thing in the mix if every brit is so willing to let go from england, why are british shops thriving. There must be a reason why we pay $3 for a bag of walkers crisps
Old Nov 19th 2007, 10:14 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

There must be a reason why we pay $3 for a bag of walkers crisps
Maybe it's for the reason I suggested they may move to Aus.
Because they can.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 2:49 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't in England when i went, i was in NZ, and i wanted to go home, we tried for England but she got refused a visa, so i said i would try here, the funny thing is that if we tried for a visa now cause we have 2 kids we would probably get it, but we cannot afford it, and when we could afford it pre kids we didnt get it.
I am not saying i was pushed into anything, i would just rather be home.
plus another thing in the mix if every brit is so willing to let go from england, why are british shops thriving. There must be a reason why we pay $3 for a bag of walkers crisps
Because it's nice to have a little bit of home when you are away?? I wouldn't put too much emphasis on people buying crisps as evidence the Brits in Oz aren't happy! I'm Irish, living in the UK since 1997 and I still get sent sweeties and things from home. It doesn't mean I'm not happy here!
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:54 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

plus another thing in the mix if every brit is so willing to let go from england, why are british shops thriving. There must be a reason why we pay $3 for a bag of walkers crisps....
I'm glad they're thriving somewhere, coz sure as God made little apples the shops aren't thriving here, apart from "Everything for a Pound" & charity shops, that is.

The weather isn't everything I know, but faced with the prospect of a massive mortgage & putting down all of our savings on a house that is gradually going to lose value from the day we buy it, or move to a similar economy but stand a chance of making a go of things, I'll take that chance thank you & if it doesn't work out, at least we've all got some great experiences & memories to look back on.

Worst case scenario is that we have to come back to the UK in a couple of years & buy a house in a stagnant market - oh dear, we've saved ourselves £100K & had a great holiday too!

I agree with the poster who commented that everyone's reasons are particular to them & equally valid, for their own situation, so don't knock them, look at it as part of what makes this such an interesting forum

Off to purchase my premium membership
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenniGee
I'm glad they're thriving somewhere, coz sure as God made little apples the shops aren't thriving here, apart from "Everything for a Pound" & charity shops, that is.

The weather isn't everything I know, but faced with the prospect of a massive mortgage & putting down all of our savings on a house that is gradually going to lose value from the day we buy it, or move to a similar economy but stand a chance of making a go of things, I'll take that chance thank you & if it doesn't work out, at least we've all got some great experiences & memories to look back on.

Worst case scenario is that we have to come back to the UK in a couple of years & buy a house in a stagnant market - oh dear, we've saved ourselves £100K & had a great holiday too!

I agree with the poster who commented that everyone's reasons are particular to them & equally valid, for their own situation, so don't knock them, look at it as part of what makes this such an interesting forum

Off to purchase my premium membership
Listen, I reckon many people do better themselves - but note - remember Australia's economy is not so different that things that happen in the UK won't happen here.

House prices may fall in Australia.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Listen, I reckon many people do better themselves - but note - remember Australia's economy is not so different that things that happen in the UK won't happen here.

House prices may fall in Australia.
I think that's what she was saying Badge
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:09 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, just to clarify....

I believe Australia has a similar economy, so of course is going to be susceptible to the same pressures as back here in the UK.

I think it just depends on whether you are the type of person who will see a move in a positive light, no matter what happens. And if the Australia economy does go pear-shaped, then that's the chance you take & you recognise that it will have the same effect on you over there as it is having on us, right now, in England.

So right now, we feel we don't have a lot to lose...

And of course, the sunshine helps
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:30 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
Your reasons for moving are meaningless. They will have no bearing on whether you thrive here or not. Plenty of people move to Australia for all sorts of deluded reasons and love it. Plenty of people move to Australia for the same sorts of deluded reasons and are back in blighty within the year. There's no rule book and no guarantee. You cannot apply your own personal reasoning, ethics or whatever to someone else. Sometimes, for some people, the weather *is* everything.
Can we put the above quote as a sticky on the forum? Along with "changing car licence over" and "Will my TV work in Oz".
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:51 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

We were going because we could...

Now were going because its Dr's orders

He said the weather is everything!