Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Weather is not everything

Weather is not everything

Old Nov 17th 2007, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

the big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nice
Default Weather is not everything

what good is sun, if you have no money, family and friends, looks like people try and " live the dream" and think it is like Home and Away
Aussie has crime, everyone doesn't have a pool, or a bbq, or thousands of pounds to bring over, we dont have lots of friends or family and all aussies are not happy go lucky people.
plus there is not a huge rainbow at the end of the yellow brick rd
any brits coming over just take a step back and think
cause once your here and you don't like it. it costs a hell of a lot more to go back
sorry if it is a bit negative, but it really annoys me when people back in england think it is like home and away
In truth if you havent got money to buy a house then Australia is just like england without the sun, and whats the use of that when you cant enjoy it, give me friends, family and rain any time.
be careful what you wish for.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weather is not everything

Originally Posted by the big IP
what good is sun, if you have no money, family and friends, looks like people try and " live the dream" and think it is like Home and Away
Aussie has crime, everyone doesn't have a pool, or a bbq, or thousands of pounds to bring over, we dont have lots of friends or family and all aussies are not happy go lucky people.
cause once your here and you don't like it. it costs a hell of a lot more to go back
sorry if it is a bit negative, but it really annoys me when people back in england think it is like home and away
In truth if you havent got money to buy a house then Australia is just like england without the sun, and whats the use of that when you cant enjoy it, give me friends, family and rain any time.
True. Think very hard

Move to Australia because you have good reasons to make the move. Very good reasons that pass basic muster.

If you're bored, and need a change, stay at home and apply for "Family Fortunes'' like other bored Little Englanders.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

lorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of light

here here. take off the rose coloured glasses and really consider in fine detail the reasons for your move. too many people come wanting a 'better lifestyle' having watched too many 'wanted down under!!' If your life truly is crap and friends and family don't feature then you may have a better 'lifestyle' here but gee as well as wanting it 'better' you really need to a want a very different lifestyle and give up a lot of what you have.

Not wanting to put people off but I cannot believe the number of people unsettled here and heading back because it is not what they wanted at all!"!

Think through your own day at home.....working, schools, shops, friends, family, every day routines you take for granted. These will all need to be replaced coming here and be better for you to have a 'better lifestyle'. the weather does nothing to replace or improve these factors and itself can be a problem being so bl***y hot at times.

It is so hard to look objectively when you are in the excitement of visas etc and you look for the worse parts of your home life to justify your move. It's easy to say oh lets just try..this works as long as you have the contingency and finance back up to return!!

What can also be useful is talking to someone you know (not family) who can be your sounding board for the move and probe as to why you are making the move. It is so much easier for someone on the outside with no vested interest in you going...we had someone who really questioned what we were giving up in a very objective manner and thinking back on what he said all makes such sense now.

Luckily he is not the type to say 'I told you so when we return!!

I am sure Australian life (and Australia is so different state to state) will be 'better' for some but deeply qualify what better means for you!!
Old Nov 17th 2007, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone seriously think that living in Australia is like Home & Away?
Old Nov 17th 2007, 5:58 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by the big IP

really, who'd have thought that,
Old Nov 17th 2007, 5:59 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
Does anyone seriously think that living in Australia is like Home & Away?
now wendy you know me and you did, and we thought we'd be loaded, find new rellies, have a pool (ok you have, show off) and that every aussie you meet would be an angel
Old Nov 17th 2007, 6:04 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
True. Think very hard

Move to Australia because you have good reasons to make the move. Very good reasons that pass basic muster.

If you're bored, and need a change, stay at home and apply for "Family Fortunes'' like other bored Little Englanders.
Oi! I'm from Little England and I'm not bored
Old Nov 17th 2007, 6:21 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We're loaded since we arrived. Hubby no longer works, kids sit on the beach all day and the road outside is paved with gold. Doesn't everyone live like this
Old Nov 17th 2007, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
now wendy you know me and you did, and we thought we'd be loaded, find new rellies, have a pool (ok you have, show off) and that every aussie you meet would be an angel

No, I thought it was like Neighbours - and it is
Old Nov 17th 2007, 6:23 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
True. Think very hard

Oh dear, I had better start packing now hadn't I!

Our reasons for coming over were

Because we liked it when we came for a 2 week visit

We like it even more when we came back for 3 weeks

So Steve could have a boat and live near the sea

Because we could

Given these reasons, and your above comment it would have seemed like we were doomed to fail.

However, one year down the track and we are as happy as pigs in the proverbial.

We are slightly different from the usual suspect though - we have lived overseas before, on a couple of different continents and we are happy as a family unit wherever we live.

If you are running away from anything or bored with your life - moving to another country won't solve these problems, it will probably exascerbate them. You really do need to take a look at how you deal with things, how you live your day to day life and how your relationships are. Weak ones probably will not survive, strong ones are put to the test with all the stress that emigration involves. It will definately NOT save a relationship.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

No, I thought it was like Neighbours - and it is
It is definitely more like Neighbours than Home & Away... everyone knows everyone else, always popping round each others with a casserole in times of a crisis... a Harold Bishop in every Salvos shop....
Old Nov 17th 2007, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bridie
It is definitely more like Neighbours than Home & Away... everyone knows everyone else, always popping round each others with a casserole in times of a crisis... a Harold Bishop in every Salvos shop....

You get casserole I always get potato bake
Old Nov 17th 2007, 6:33 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You get casserole I always get potato bake
Your neighbours are shite. My neighbours bring Champagne
Old Nov 17th 2007, 6:35 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

It's actually more like Kath and Kim!

Buzzy
Old Nov 17th 2007, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Your neighbours are shite. My neighbours bring Champagne

You sure you don't live in Dallas
Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
It's actually more like Kath and Kim!

Buzzy

Well you did pick Melbourne

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.