Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Weather or not ...

Weather or not ...

Old Jul 25th 2005, 12:27 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Weather or not ...

It's not the prime reason we're emigrating, but I'd be a liar if I said the weather didn't play any part in our decision. The screenshot below kind of says it all: mid-summer UK (Glos) at the top and mid-winter OZ (NSW) at the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails Weather or not ...-weather.jpg  
Old Jul 25th 2005, 12:28 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Weather or not ...

Originally Posted by Hutch
It's not the prime reason we're emigrating, but I'd be a liar if I said the weather didn't play any part in our decision. The screenshot below kind of says it all: mid-summer UK (Glos) at the top and mid-winter OZ (NSW) at the bottom.
All depends on how much you like the colour green i guess
Old Jul 26th 2005, 3:01 am
Badge

I liked your image. I still mantain that Australia in winter is fantastic - although Melly is a bit more like the UK. Winters are a lot milder.

Remember that the shorter days in NSW will make it a lot colder - those temps are MAX temps achieved for an hour or so at most. Can't complain though - I loved my first Sydney winter.

Some people slate the lack of green in Australia - where we live there is stacks of green, pretty much all year around.

Badge

Old Jul 26th 2005, 3:05 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Badge
I liked your image. I still mantain that Australia in winter is fantastic - although Melly is a bit more like the UK. Winters are a lot milder.

Remember that the shorter days in NSW will make it a lot colder - those temps are MAX temps achieved for an hour or so at most. Can't complain though - I loved my first Sydney winter.

Some people slate the lack of green in Australia - where we live there is stacks of green, pretty much all year around.

Badge
Same here badge, we have lots of green. We get lots of rain too unlike Sydney

As i've metioned before, i love the aussie winter too. Just can't wait to get the house insulated and all will be perfect.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 3:07 am
A Male Member

Just thourght of somthing else too badge, the type of green. Here its generally not as vibrant as back home.

Tom Gleissner had a fantastic quote

"Australia.....Every shade of dull green imaginable".
Old Jul 26th 2005, 3:16 am
Badge

Originally Posted by PeteY
Just thourght of somthing else too badge, the type of green. Here its generally not as vibrant as back home.

Tom Gleissner had a fantastic quote

"Australia.....Every shade of dull green imaginable".
You know, Pete I prefer the green in Australia - it is a softer green, almost lime in places. Makes the rolling hills around our village breathtaking when the sun is out. That's just normal countryside.

On TV, I see Heatbeat set in the Yorkshire dales, and you know what, the dark green is too dark and wet looking, too many hedges, and the hills are too smooth and rolling to hold my interest - I prefer the rougher territory of even our village and surrounds to that. I find that the UK territory is not quite as varied. My brother goes hillwalking in mainland Europe now as he is bored with the Lakes, the Peaks, South Wales. I like Snowdonia.

Badge

Old Jul 26th 2005, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back from a long weekend in Cape Tribulation and there's plenty of green to go around. One of the most stunning places I've been so far (apart from Chillagoe - which is red and green - a perfect combo!).

The weather (IMO) shouldn't be a deciding factor in migrating. Having said that, the outdoors life stylee it provides is second to none. We got a fair bit of rain this weekend (surprising for a rainforest ) and it didn't stop us driving up the Bloomfield track. When we got to Wujal wujal, the falls were in full flow - thanks to the rain.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=PeteY]Same here badge, we have lots of green. We get lots of rain too unlike Sydney

QUOTE]
Sydney actually gets more rain than Melbourne. It buckets down and is quicker but there is more of it.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 5:07 am
A Male Member

[QUOTE=Shellfish]
Originally Posted by PeteY
Same here badge, we have lots of green. We get lots of rain too unlike Sydney

QUOTE]
Sydney actually gets more rain than Melbourne. It buckets down and is quicker but there is more of it.
Yes but sydneys rain all comes in a few months of the year does'nt it?
Old Jul 26th 2005, 6:28 am
Badge

Sydney gets 1300mm ish, Brissy get 1000mm.

Mostly in the summer.

Melly gets half of Brissy, but in the winter, the incidence of rain can be 1 in 2 days in high winter. It's only just got wet this last few weeks.

Badge

Old Jul 26th 2005, 7:29 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Dark green: add nitrogenous fertilizer.

Nitrogen oxides emissions from the UK in 1998: 1753 thousand tonnes (NO2 and NO).

Britain land area: 241,590 sq km.

1,753,000 tonnes / 241,590 sq km : 7.256 tonnes NO2 + NO emmissions / km^2

This is a higher amount of nitrogenous fertilizer per square kilometer than is added to wheat paddocks in Aus. Does not include natural sourced nitrogenous compounds or that from Europe or America.

Add rain, result: Dark Green Grass.