Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We went, we saw, we loved!!!

We went, we saw, we loved!!!

Old Oct 25th 2006, 9:21 pm
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold
Default We went, we saw, we loved!!!

Went on our reccie to Oz. After umming and aahhing over where we wanted to settled we decided to go to both Brisbane and Perth and we are so glad we did.

We flew with Singapore Airlines, flights were grand - food not too good but as airline foods goes what can you expect. Hubby kept amused by the gorgeous air hostesses!!

Arrived in Brisbane in the evening, decided I would drive and hubby read the map - big mistake! Got lost but found McDonalds - bonus. Eventually found Brisbane Holiday Village, would definately recommend the cosmo cabin, TV, DVD, PS2. One thing to look for in Oz is that places are not sign posted it is the street names that are - this really threw me as we expected the holiday village to be sign posted but it wasnt. Once I was reading the map we were fine!

Went to Brisbane CBD first, excellent city, easy to get around and clean, first stop O'Malleys for a pint and a celtic top for hubby, $9 for pint :scared: then shopping,then went on the ferry cat to south bank - this was fantastic kids loved the beach. Met a celtic supporter from Scotland working at the Mater Hospital, forgot to ask name - hope you are well! Back onto the ferry cat which then proceeded to crash after we got off (saw on the news after we got back to the village). Next day we went south to Surfers Paradise - the best place in the world - hubby burnt badly as didnt think he needed sun lotion he was the only person in the world not to know Oz doesnt have much of an ozone layer - it's okay now everyone knows!!!

Met Rab and Elma from Scotland who had just emmigrated - hope all is well with you all.

Next day tried to look at suburbs but kids not amused so ended up going round bayside and up to Redcliffe - sorry to all live there but didnt like it at all up there, the beach was horrible but the play park was great for the kids.

Next day we went to Perth with Qantas, now the freaky bit, son sat down the clip to hold up the table came out, then walked on the football team (Queensland Roar) knew at that point we were doomed (final destination!), the landing went on forever and really thought we were going to die, we were up, down, left, right, up again, down again, then bounced down the runway, whole plane in a panic and praying (found God at last!), so if ever flying with Qantas and you captain is Captain Grant run as far and fast you can, got off the plane to find L plates hanging from the wings , on a serious note really thought we would love Perth and had decided this was were we wanted to live but on arrival knew it wasnt for us. Very windy, but we knew that, flys are horrendous and very cheeky (I hate flys, can handle any other beastie but could never get used to them), the CBD was not what we were expecting, not very clean and the needle boxes everywhere are off putting (I know it's for safe needlle use but they are everywhere) could get into toilets in McDonalds without askng staff to unlock door, never been so cold in my whole life as I was at night there and couldnt wait to get back to Brisbane.

Arrived back in Brisbane and stayed at Ashmore Palms Holiday Village for a few days - accomodation not a patch on Brisbane Holiday Village but great park and ideal location. Indy car was on so couldnt get back to surfers so went to Sea World - been to the one in Edinburgh my god this is a different world it was amazing, and we saw a polar bear who wasnt rocking and going mad :scared: he was swimming, doing tumble turns and the back crawl, loved it, could go on but won't.

Went down to Burleigh heads, very windy but fun, my son was asking if there where whale or sharks in the water and I said don't be daft they wont in that close, when an australian couple told us to watch for the 3 whales playing 20 metres from the shore in where the waves were starting to break (you couldnt buy that), sat for a while watching them.

Next we went up to the sunshine coast and stayed at Coloundra - Tripcony Quays, apartment where grand had everything you needed (washing machine and tumble dryer), managers very friendly and helpful. Caloundra is gorgeous, photos don't do it justice you have to see it for yourself, the beach is gorgeous and water is so clear. Mananged to go to Buderim and to see the waterfall at the forest park, saw angry looking red ants and a cuccaburra?!? excuse spelling. There was a thunder and lightening storm that night and we were sitting out having a meal at Red Peppas the rain was torrential and the sky was purple - but it was warm so thats all that matters .

On our last day the weather wasnt great so we went to Australia zoo, saw the crocs, touched a few Kangaroos (my daughter kept kissing them but she was happy), touched a koala and saw wombats - i love wombats, bought one for my daughter (for me really) called Fluffy, but i call him Bertie, his name on the tab was Russell, but he's ours now so we call him what we want (the wine is kicking in now )

Monday morning and i was devastated to leave Brissie, but we will be back and soon. Hope I've not bored you all, now does anyone want to buy a wee semi in Livingston?? Nice area, nice neigbours - honest!!

PS. I'm really sorry to everyone who lives in Perth and love it, but it wasnt for us. I have always been shocked at people who have emigrated stayed for a fortnight hated it and went home but now I understand - this is why I would definately recommend a reccie to make sure you want to live there. We now know that Brisbane is for us and to anyone who is unsure where they want to settle please do a reccie first - it is expensive, but definatley worth it - emmigrating to the wrong place is a much more expensive mistake.
Clairex

Last edited by belleandscone; Oct 25th 2006 at 9:36 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We went, we saw, we loved!!!

[QUOTE=belleandscone]Went on our reccie to Oz. After umming and aahhing over where we wanted to settled we decided to go to both Brisbane and Perth and we are so glad we did.

Cool. Thanks for your honesty! sounds like you had a real ball.Perth is not for me either...but all my cousins love it.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 9:28 pm
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=seasprite]
Originally Posted by belleandscone
Went on our reccie to Oz. After umming and aahhing over where we wanted to settled we decided to go to both Brisbane and Perth and we are so glad we did.

Cool. Thanks for your honesty! sounds like you had a real ball.Perth is not for me either...but all my cousins love it.
I truly had my heart set on Perth and everyone told me how beautiful it is but it wasnt what I was expecting, brisbane is definately for me - it's true you either love it or you hate it.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=belleandscone][QUOTE=seasprite]
We are off to rural holiday coast NSW, so pretty much like where we are now!
Old Oct 25th 2006, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

BertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=belleandscone]
Originally Posted by seasprite

I truly had my heart set on Perth and everyone told me how beautiful it is but it wasnt what I was expecting, brisbane is definately for me - it's true you either love it or you hate it.
glad you enjoyed your reckie. Nice name for your wombat.

Ann
Old Oct 25th 2006, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Mel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really nice

Wow, what an honest post! Thank you.

It was a great read, and better experience for you all i bet! We are hoping to settle in Brisbane somewhere, but not sure where yet. We have never been to Oz before so we are pretty open to where we will settle, but from what friends tell us i think Brisbane will be for us too!

Someone else on expats have mentioned the Brisbane Holiday village so we may well book it!

Hope all goes well for your future plans, and thanks again for taking the time to post a detailed insight.

We fly out on the 6th having just been granted our visa's.

Best wishes

Melis
Old Oct 25th 2006, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

BertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=seasprite][QUOTE=belleandscone]
Originally Posted by seasprite
We are off to rural holiday coast NSW, so pretty much like where we are now!
is it the south coast you're off to?
Old Oct 25th 2006, 9:39 pm
In my own little world!

Smile Re: We went, we saw, we loved!!!

Originally Posted by Mel n Daz
Wow, what an honest post! Thank you.

It was a great read, and better experience for you all i bet! We are hoping to settle in Brisbane somewhere, but not sure where yet. We have never been to Oz before so we are pretty open to where we will settle, but from what friends tell us i think Brisbane will be for us too!

Someone else on expats have mentioned the Brisbane Holiday village so we may well book it!

Hope all goes well for your future plans, and thanks again for taking the time to post a detailed insight.

We fly out on the 6th having just been granted our visa's.

Best wishes

Melis
Good luck when you go, we would def recommend Brisbane holiday village and will book there when we emmigrate. Enjoy Brisbane it's a fantastic place.
Clairex
Old Oct 25th 2006, 9:40 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

We flew with Singapore Airlines, flights were grand - food not too good but as airline foods goes what can you expect. Hubby kept amused by the gorgeous air hostesses!!

Arrived in Brisbane in the evening, decided I would drive and hubby read the map - big mistake! Got lost but found McDonalds - bonus. Eventually found Brisbane Holiday Village, would definately recommend the cosmo cabin, TV, DVD, PS2. One thing to look for in Oz is that places are not sign posted it is the street names that are - this really threw me as we expected the holiday village to be sign posted but it wasnt. Once I was reading the map we were fine!

Went to Brisbane CBD first, excellent city, easy to get around and clean, first stop O'Malleys for a pint and a celtic top for hubby, $9 for pint :scared: then shopping,then went on the ferry cat to south bank - this was fantastic kids loved the beach. Met a celtic supporter from Scotland working at the Mater Hospital, forgot to ask name - hope you are well! Back onto the ferry cat which then proceeded to crash after we got off (saw on the news after we got back to the village). Next day we went south to Surfers Paradise - the best place in the world - hubby burnt badly as didnt think he needed sun lotion he was the only person in the world not to know Oz doesnt have much of an ozone layer - it's okay now everyone knows!!!

Met Rab and Elma from Scotland who had just emmigrated - hope all is well with you all.

Next day tried to look at suburbs but kids not amused so ended up going round bayside and up to Redcliffe - sorry to all live there but didnt like it at all up there, the beach was horrible but the play park was great for the kids.

Next day we went to Perth with Qantas, now the freaky bit, son sat down the clip to hold up the table came out, then walked on the football team (Queensland Roar) knew at that point we were doomed (final destination!), the landing went on forever and really thought we were going to die, we were up, down, left, right, up again, down again, then bounced down the runway, whole plane in a panic and praying (found God at last!), so if ever flying with Qantas and you captain is Captain Grant run as far and fast you can, got off the plane to find L plates hanging from the wings , on a serious note really thought we would love Perth and had decided this was were we wanted to live but on arrival knew it wasnt for us. Very windy, but we knew that, flys are horrendous and very cheeky (I hate flys, can handle any other beastie but could never get used to them), the CBD was not what we were expecting, not very clean and the needle boxes everywhere are off putting (I know it's for safe needlle use but they are everywhere) could get into toilets in McDonalds without askng staff to unlock door, never been so cold in my whole life as I was at night there and couldnt wait to get back to Brisbane.

Arrived back in Brisbane and stayed at Ashmore Palms Holiday Village for a few days - accomodation not a patch on Brisbane Holiday Village but great park and ideal location. Indy car was on so couldnt get back to surfers so went to Sea World - been to the one in Edinburgh my god this is a different world it was amazing, and we saw a polar bear who wasnt rocking and going mad :scared: he was swimming, doing tumble turns and the back crawl, loved it, could go on but won't.

Went down to Burleigh heads, very windy but fun, my son was asking if there where whale or sharks in the water and I said don't be daft they wont in that close, when an australian couple told us to watch for the 3 whales playing 20 metres from the shore in where the waves were starting to break (you couldnt buy that), sat for a while watching them.

Next we went up to the sunshine coast and stayed at Coloundra - Tripcony Quays, apartment where grand had everything you needed (washing machine and tumble dryer), managers very friendly and helpful. Caloundra is gorgeous, photos don't do it justice you have to see it for yourself, the beach is gorgeous and water is so clear. Mananged to go to Buderim and to see the waterfall at the forest park, saw angry looking red ants and a cuccaburra?!? excuse spelling. There was a thunder and lightening storm that night and we were sitting out having a meal at Red Peppas the rain was torrential and the sky was purple - but it was warm so thats all that matters .

On our last day the weather wasnt great so we went to Australia zoo, saw the crocs, touched a few Kangaroos (my daughter kept kissing them but she was happy), touched a koala and saw wombats - i love wombats, bought one for my daughter (for me really) called Fluffy, but i call him Bertie, his name on the tab was Russell, but he's ours now so we call him what we want (the wine is kicking in now )

Monday morning and i was devastated to leave Brissie, but we will be back and soon. Hope I've not bored you all, now does anyone want to buy a wee semi in Livingston?? Nice area, nice neigbours - honest!!

PS. I'm really sorry to everyone who lives in Perth and love it, but it wasnt for us. I have always been shocked at people who have emigrated stayed for a fortnight hated it and went home but now I understand - this is why I would definately recommend a reccie to make sure you want to live there. We now know that Brisbane is for us and to anyone who is unsure where they want to settle please do a reccie first - it is expensive, but definatley worth it - emmigrating to the wrong place is a much more expensive mistake.
Clairex
l agree, some poms seem to immigrate to Perth thinking its the best place in OZ without ever seeing the rest of OZ or seeing it properly, don't like it and think all of OZ is like Perth, go back to the Uk, but if they had seen the eastern sates they might have found somewhere they really liked to live in Victoria, NSW or QLD.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 9:41 pm

Alana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: We went, we saw, we loved!!!

Fab Post!
Thanks for taking the time to let us know how you got on.We are planning to move to Brisbane in March but cant afford a reccie :scared: .
You have given me hope!I am developing nerves of steel
Andrea
Old Oct 25th 2006, 9:47 pm
In my own little world!

Originally Posted by Alana and Arrons mum
Fab Post!
Thanks for taking the time to let us know how you got on.We are planning to move to Brisbane in March but cant afford a reccie :scared: .
You have given me hope!I am developing nerves of steel
Andrea
You will love it. In our opinion you've made the right choice! Perth is well publisised and looks beautiful, what I had seen on the internet and DVDs, pictures etc Brisbane didnt look appealling but seeing is believing - it's not all "A New Life Down Under". Good luck in your move and see you when we get back hopefully next year.
Clairex
Old Oct 25th 2006, 9:51 pm
In my own little world!

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
l agree, some poms seem to immigrate to Perth thinking its the best place in OZ without ever seeing the rest of OZ or seeing it properly, don't like it and think all of OZ is like Perth, go back to the Uk, but if they had seen the eastern sates they might have found somewhere they really liked to live in Victoria, NSW or QLD.
I totally agree, we thought Perth was the be all and end all until we had been there - Perth and Brisbane are chalk and cheese. Fortunately we managed to see alot of both sides, but Queensland has much more to offer in the long run.
Clairex
Old Oct 25th 2006, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

Glad you enjoyed your trip ! A friend of ours moved to Perth in Jan, & has just been over to stay with us in Brissy for 3 weeks to have a look round.
He promptly went home to Perth & bought a house there the next day
So it's deffinately horses for courses !
Old Oct 25th 2006, 9:54 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic post.......................only wish we had added Briisy in our reccie now
Old Oct 25th 2006, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Mel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really nice

Good luck when you go, we would def recommend Brisbane holiday village and will book there when we emmigrate. Enjoy Brisbane it's a fantastic place.
Clairex
Thanks again Claire

Will keep you all posted too!

Melis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.