Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We went, we saw, we loved!!!

We went, we saw, we loved!!!

Old Oct 26th 2006, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

StellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: We went, we saw, we loved!!!

At first we were going to stay in Perth, when we visited Perth last year we found it stunning plus I have family there, I think this will make a difference when we first start to settle. But now after reading your post I may have a look at Brisbane.

One question...What's the house prices like compared to Perth?

Thanks for helping me keep my eyes open to different possibilities.

Dave
Old Oct 26th 2006, 4:33 pm
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: We went, we saw, we loved!!!

Originally Posted by Daveh777
At first we were going to stay in Perth, when we visited Perth last year we found it stunning plus I have family there, I think this will make a difference when we first start to settle. But now after reading your post I may have a look at Brisbane.

One question...What's the house prices like compared to Perth?

Thanks for helping me keep my eyes open to different possibilities.

Dave
Hi Dave, it's cheaper than Perth just now, but i think Perth is starting to settled down with the prices. Don't get me wrong the suburbs in Perth are stunning, but just not for us. Good luck wherever you decide. Try www.realestate.com.au.
Clairex
Old Oct 26th 2006, 5:59 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: We went, we saw, we loved!!!

Originally Posted by belleandscone
Went on our reccie to Oz. After umming and aahhing over where we wanted to settled we decided to go to both Brisbane and Perth and we are so glad we did.

[...]

PS. I'm really sorry to everyone who lives in Perth and love it, but it wasnt for us. I have always been shocked at people who have emigrated stayed for a fortnight hated it and went home but now I understand - this is why I would definately recommend a reccie to make sure you want to live there. We now know that Brisbane is for us and to anyone who is unsure where they want to settle please do a reccie first - it is expensive, but definatley worth it - emmigrating to the wrong place is a much more expensive mistake.
Clairex
Great post, and well written! I was born and raised in Perth, but I'm not offended by what you've said about it; I do agree that Perth isn't for everyone. It's not even for me anymore; I'm moving to Adelaide!

Best of luck with your move to QLD.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 6:18 pm
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Great post, and well written! I was born and raised in Perth, but I'm not offended by what you've said about it; I do agree that Perth isn't for everyone. It's not even for me anymore; I'm moving to Adelaide!

Best of luck with your move to QLD.
Thanks Vash, was worried I'd get hammered for what I said about Perth, hope you enjoy Adelaide, when are you off?
Clairex
Old Oct 26th 2006, 6:45 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Vash, was worried I'd get hammered for what I said about Perth, hope you enjoy Adelaide, when are you off?
Clairex
Oh, I know I'll enjoy Adelaide; been there many times before, and had a cracking good time there during my holiday Down Under this year (click here for the thread).

Not quite sure when we're off; currently timeframe is two years. It would be earlier if I had my way, but the missus will be leaving her parents, so we need to take it slowly for their sake - and for hers!
Old Oct 26th 2006, 6:50 pm
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Clairex
Well I thought it was a very well balanced post. Different strokes and all that.

Personally we love Perth and felt at home there just as you felt at home in Brissy. Having been to Adelaide, Sydney and Melbourne and the surrounding areas the only other place I could happily live would be Adelaide (I obviously like a quiet life) but having said that haven't been to Brissy so can't comment on the place.

K on way

Last edited by suzy; Oct 26th 2006 at 6:54 pm. Reason: Bad grammar and the edit probably isn't much better!!LOL
Old Oct 26th 2006, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

ormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really nice

Good luck when you go, we would def recommend Brisbane holiday village and will book there when we emmigrate. Enjoy Brisbane it's a fantastic place.
Clairex
Hi Claire, have you got the web address for that camp site please it sounds perfect??

Thanks Sarah
Old Oct 26th 2006, 8:15 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Claire, Dont take this the wrong way but if i were to ask you how much of perth did you see? what would you say. just wondering as you seem to come across that you "hated" Perth

I dont mean to sound bad but, i stay in Glasgow and my Son stays in Livingston and everytime i go to visit him "this isn't a joke" i get physically depressed!!!!!!!!!!! we are only what/ 30 mile apart, just thinking that you really cant comment fully on Perth as you seen very little of it? YES? NO?

yes we bt know livingston is Houses and Fields ( NO Town Centre)

Just curious, Claire

Went on our reccie to Oz. After umming and aahhing over where we wanted to settled we decided to go to both Brisbane and Perth and we are so glad we did.

We flew with Singapore Airlines, flights were grand - food not too good but as airline foods goes what can you expect. Hubby kept amused by the gorgeous air hostesses!!

Arrived in Brisbane in the evening, decided I would drive and hubby read the map - big mistake! Got lost but found McDonalds - bonus. Eventually found Brisbane Holiday Village, would definately recommend the cosmo cabin, TV, DVD, PS2. One thing to look for in Oz is that places are not sign posted it is the street names that are - this really threw me as we expected the holiday village to be sign posted but it wasnt. Once I was reading the map we were fine!

Went to Brisbane CBD first, excellent city, easy to get around and clean, first stop O'Malleys for a pint and a celtic top for hubby, $9 for pint :scared: then shopping,then went on the ferry cat to south bank - this was fantastic kids loved the beach. Met a celtic supporter from Scotland working at the Mater Hospital, forgot to ask name - hope you are well! Back onto the ferry cat which then proceeded to crash after we got off (saw on the news after we got back to the village). Next day we went south to Surfers Paradise - the best place in the world - hubby burnt badly as didnt think he needed sun lotion he was the only person in the world not to know Oz doesnt have much of an ozone layer - it's okay now everyone knows!!!

Met Rab and Elma from Scotland who had just emmigrated - hope all is well with you all.

Next day tried to look at suburbs but kids not amused so ended up going round bayside and up to Redcliffe - sorry to all live there but didnt like it at all up there, the beach was horrible but the play park was great for the kids.

Next day we went to Perth with Qantas, now the freaky bit, son sat down the clip to hold up the table came out, then walked on the football team (Queensland Roar) knew at that point we were doomed (final destination!), the landing went on forever and really thought we were going to die, we were up, down, left, right, up again, down again, then bounced down the runway, whole plane in a panic and praying (found God at last!), so if ever flying with Qantas and you captain is Captain Grant run as far and fast you can, got off the plane to find L plates hanging from the wings , on a serious note really thought we would love Perth and had decided this was were we wanted to live but on arrival knew it wasnt for us. Very windy, but we knew that, flys are horrendous and very cheeky (I hate flys, can handle any other beastie but could never get used to them), the CBD was not what we were expecting, not very clean and the needle boxes everywhere are off putting (I know it's for safe needlle use but they are everywhere) could get into toilets in McDonalds without askng staff to unlock door, never been so cold in my whole life as I was at night there and couldnt wait to get back to Brisbane.

Arrived back in Brisbane and stayed at Ashmore Palms Holiday Village for a few days - accomodation not a patch on Brisbane Holiday Village but great park and ideal location. Indy car was on so couldnt get back to surfers so went to Sea World - been to the one in Edinburgh my god this is a different world it was amazing, and we saw a polar bear who wasnt rocking and going mad :scared: he was swimming, doing tumble turns and the back crawl, loved it, could go on but won't.

Went down to Burleigh heads, very windy but fun, my son was asking if there where whale or sharks in the water and I said don't be daft they wont in that close, when an australian couple told us to watch for the 3 whales playing 20 metres from the shore in where the waves were starting to break (you couldnt buy that), sat for a while watching them.

Next we went up to the sunshine coast and stayed at Coloundra - Tripcony Quays, apartment where grand had everything you needed (washing machine and tumble dryer), managers very friendly and helpful. Caloundra is gorgeous, photos don't do it justice you have to see it for yourself, the beach is gorgeous and water is so clear. Mananged to go to Buderim and to see the waterfall at the forest park, saw angry looking red ants and a cuccaburra?!? excuse spelling. There was a thunder and lightening storm that night and we were sitting out having a meal at Red Peppas the rain was torrential and the sky was purple - but it was warm so thats all that matters .

On our last day the weather wasnt great so we went to Australia zoo, saw the crocs, touched a few Kangaroos (my daughter kept kissing them but she was happy), touched a koala and saw wombats - i love wombats, bought one for my daughter (for me really) called Fluffy, but i call him Bertie, his name on the tab was Russell, but he's ours now so we call him what we want (the wine is kicking in now )

Monday morning and i was devastated to leave Brissie, but we will be back and soon. Hope I've not bored you all, now does anyone want to buy a wee semi in Livingston?? Nice area, nice neigbours - honest!!

PS. I'm really sorry to everyone who lives in Perth and love it, but it wasnt for us. I have always been shocked at people who have emigrated stayed for a fortnight hated it and went home but now I understand - this is why I would definately recommend a reccie to make sure you want to live there. We now know that Brisbane is for us and to anyone who is unsure where they want to settle please do a reccie first - it is expensive, but definatley worth it - emmigrating to the wrong place is a much more expensive mistake.
Clairex
Old Oct 26th 2006, 8:36 pm
In my own little world!

Originally Posted by ormrod7
Hi Claire, have you got the web address for that camp site please it sounds perfect??

Thanks Sarah
Hi Sarah, the website is www.brisbaneholiday.com.au would go there again, cosmo cabin is the best and well priced, longer you stay cheaper it is.
Clairex
Old Oct 26th 2006, 8:49 pm
In my own little world!

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
Hi Claire, Dont take this the wrong way but if i were to ask you how much of perth did you see? what would you say. just wondering as you seem to come across that you "hated" Perth

I dont mean to sound bad but, i stay in Glasgow and my Son stays in Livingston and everytime i go to visit him "this isn't a joke" i get physically depressed!!!!!!!!!!! we are only what/ 30 mile apart, just thinking that you really cant comment fully on Perth as you seen very little of it? YES? NO?

yes we bt know livingston is Houses and Fields ( NO Town Centre)

Just curious, Claire
Hi Claire, i never said I hated Perth it just wasnt for us, if it came across that way then i apologise. As for Livingston you could compare it to EK, personally wouldnt live in EK, we stay in a nice area of Livingston close to the town centre which is ideal for Edinburgh and Glasgow. I have said what we saw of Perth, and this gave us the info we needed, we loved Brisbane straight off. Also how much of Livingston have you seen to comment, we stay in Livingston Village not crazyhill (craigshill), both are completely different same as bearsden and Castlemilk. My husband comes from Stranraer and every time he goes there he gets physically depressed - I really don't see the point you are trying to make - we preferred Brissie to Perth you don't, it's personal preference. This was why we did a reccie to see where we would like to live, honestly we thought Perth was for us until we got there.

I have just given my opinion of Perth and Brissie, take from that what you will, as I have said before I did not intend to offend anyone.
Clairex
Old Oct 26th 2006, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

StellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura about

Hi Claire,

other than doing the touristy things in Brisbane what made you choose? The weather, the house prices, the location (nearer to Sydney etc)?

Dave
Old Oct 26th 2006, 8:59 pm
In my own little world!

Originally Posted by Daveh777
Hi Claire,

other than doing the touristy things in Brisbane what made you choose? The weather, the house prices, the location (nearer to Sydney etc)?

Dave
The weather is more constant, averaging 22C (Vash gave me a link to a website ages ago will try to find it), house prices are cheaper, far more choice - Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns, Townsville etc much more accessable for holidays. More opportunity for work for myself and hubby, most importantly generally felt comfortable in Brisbane, gold and sunshine coast, loved it all.
Clairex
Old Oct 26th 2006, 9:06 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

The weather is more constant, averaging 22C (Vash gave me a link to a website ages ago will try to find it), house prices are cheaper, far more choice - Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns, Townsville etc much more accessable for holidays. More opportunity for work for myself and hubby, most importantly generally felt comfortable in Brisbane, gold and sunshine coast, loved it all.
Clairex
I know what you mean about Brisbane as we loved it too when we visited there in August. We also went to GC and Adelaide and how you felt about Perth is just how we felt about Adelaide, lovely place, just not for us.
Everybody's different after all...... C x
Old Oct 27th 2006, 1:16 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Oh great post...this has given me a lift. I have just finished the last of my packing as we are off to brissy for 4 weeks later this morning. I have already decided I am not going to bed.....far too excited!
Old Oct 27th 2006, 8:04 am
In my own little world!

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
Oh great post...this has given me a lift. I have just finished the last of my packing as we are off to brissy for 4 weeks later this morning. I have already decided I am not going to bed.....far too excited!
You lucky thing, only wish we could have gone for longer, enjoy! Look forward to hearing all about it when you get back.
Clairex

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.