Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We passed the meds!!!!

We passed the meds!!!!

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:53 pm
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough
Default We passed the meds!!!!

Had our medicals yesterday at Pinehill Hospital in Hitchin, the place is nice and relaxing which was good because we arrived totally stressed.

Hubbies blood pressure is on the high side anyway and on BP tablets for it so we were worried. The medicals for the kids (3) and (5) were straight forward, I had the breast check ( never know where to look when they are doing that!!!) and the normal, reflexes check, sight, hearing, touch toes, chest, heart listen etc.

Hubbie went in for what seemed about 4 hours (15mins) and although he had a high BP reading initally when the right size cuff was used on his muscular arm (according to the Dr) we said fatlad cuff but hes the doctor, anyway when the correct cuff was used the reading was normal.

Huge sighs of relief, and skipped out of the hospital and straight into the pub!!!

Our chestpains of the last week have gone and that doomed feeling has lifted.

We are going to have a great weekend, good luck to anybody having their medicals soon, I would recommend Dr Stanley at Pinehill Hospital in Hitchin (or Hilltop Hospital as the kids called it, if you have young kids you will know what Im talking about)
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

ovenater is on a distinguished road

hi leanda

thanks for the post we are going to Hitchin for our meds.

glad to hear you passed ok

best wishes

sally
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Congrats - almost there
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 3:36 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats on passing the meds - one question...

Did the doctor do your BMI (Body Mass Index) ?

if so did he weigh you with your clothes on or off ?

and when he measured your height did he ask you to take your shoes off or did he make an allowance for the shoes ?

I believe your BMI needs to be under 30 and I'm currently at 32 - with shoes on and with losing 3 lbs I'll be under.

Please let me know.

Thanks.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 4:08 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We passed the meds!!!!

Originally posted by leanda
Had our medicals yesterday at Pinehill Hospital in Hitchin, the place is nice and relaxing which was good because we arrived totally stressed.

Hubbies blood pressure is on the high side anyway and on BP tablets for it so we were worried. The medicals for the kids (3) and (5) were straight forward, I had the breast check ( never know where to look when they are doing that!!!) and the normal, reflexes check, sight, hearing, touch toes, chest, heart listen etc.

Hubbie went in for what seemed about 4 hours (15mins) and although he had a high BP reading initally when the right size cuff was used on his muscular arm (according to the Dr) we said fatlad cuff but hes the doctor, anyway when the correct cuff was used the reading was normal.

Huge sighs of relief, and skipped out of the hospital and straight into the pub!!!

We are going to have a great weekend, good luck to anybody having their medicals soon, I would recommend Dr Stanley at Pinehill Hospital in Hitchin (or Hilltop Hospital as the kids called it, if you have young kids you will know what Im talking about)
Woooo Hoooo well done.......................the correct size of cuff is SO important when getting ur BP taken....cos if it is too small you get a false very high reading, which happened to me.............so anybody who has still to go for there meds................pay particular attention to this point .

Have a superb weekend
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 7:04 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: We passed the meds!!!!

Originally posted by leanda

We used Dr Stanley as well and he was very nice.

That was a big hill, wasn't it!

Well done and good luck with the wait for the visas. We got ours on Wednesday!!
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Congrats on the meds Leanda.... got mine next week... *gulp*:scared:
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 7:10 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by irishmolly

Did the doctor do your BMI (Body Mass Index) ?

if so did he weigh you with your clothes on or off ?

and when he measured your height did he ask you to take your shoes off or did he make an allowance for the shoes ?

I believe your BMI needs to be under 30 and I'm currently at 32 - with shoes on and with losing 3 lbs I'll be under.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

If they check BMI, then they didn't tell us. We were weighed and measured fully clothed but shoes off. There was a BMI chart on the wall to cross reference height/weight but I didn't see the nurse use it. Don't worry about your BMI (Trust me). If you can fit through the door, your OK.

Can't see that you'll loose three pounds just by taking your shoes off, though!
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by SteveBannister
If they check BMI, then they didn't tell us. We were weighed and measured fully clothed but shoes off. There was a BMI chart on the wall to cross reference height/weight but I didn't see the nurse use it. Don't worry about your BMI (Trust me). If you can fit through the door, your OK.

Can't see that you'll loose three pounds just by taking your shoes off, though!

ROFLMAO ... I'M IN THEN!!!
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 7:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Bmi? Don't think my doctor had heard of it! Th nurse who weighed me said they were running late and didn't have time, so she just stood me on the scales wearing my boots, woolly jumper, thick jacket and jeans! Came out horrendously overweight of course (even more than I would have anyway!) but the doctor didn't bat an eyelid when he looked at where she'd written it on the form!
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 11:12 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by irishmolly

Please let me know.

Thanks.
Weighed with clothes on, shoes off.

According to DIMIA designated Dr, BMI must be <35.

Although BMI of 35 is overweight [even obese].....deemed OK by DIMIA standards so long as not over 35.

Dr also checks BP, water test [diabetes], blood test [Aids] to make sure no other signs of ill health. If these look OK and BMI not over 35 then you should pass.

Good luck

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Apr 3rd 2004, 11:36 am
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Phew....thats a relief. I should be fine and no need to worry.

Thanks for the info.
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 11:44 am
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

Somethink else you can tick off the list .....well done !

all the best plum
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

bettytweena is an unknown quantity at this point

Chuffed to bits for you........you must be relieved

have a drink (or 2) for me...
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Brilliant news!

Not long to go now then.

Mandy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.