Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We are officially homeless!!!!!!

We are officially homeless!!!!!!

Old May 28th 2004, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default We are officially homeless!!!!!!

HI guys!

well, after 12 wks, yesterday we exchanged contracts and today we completed on our house.

we moved out last weekend, ( returning midweek to get rid of the beds/last minute junk etc ) and have moved into ste's mums house until we go ( flights booked for 2nd sept ), which is just around the corner from ours.

Popped in this afternoon, when I saw the owners moving in ( to ask them if they would keep any left over mail and we will collect once a month until we go ) and they we well chuffed with the way we'd left the house for them - sparkling clean and repleate with fresh flowers, champagne and welcome card.

It's nice to be nice.

Feeling a bit

as the house held a heap of memories for us ( and i'm an emotional old toad, really ), but also pleased and excited as its another step closer to us going for good.

And on a positive note: we're rich!!!!!!!

Cor blimey, guv'nor, i've enough to buy as many bikinis and thongs as i like!!!!!

Seriously though, the kids have settled brilliantly into grannies house ( think its a good move in a way, as they are familiar with the house already etc ) and we are now thinking about rebooking our flights and moving our date forward to the beginning of august rather than sept, although we will pay a fine / penalty / whatever, we are beginning to wonder why we are hanging around now and what we are hanging around for?!

Anyhow, we're almost there now and to be honest, the house sale was always going to be the biggest hurdle for me, now its over and i've shed a tear or three, i'm ( and the rest of us ) raring to go, we just want to be there and get settled down to the hard work.

COME ON!!!!!!!!

Thanks for listening!

And good luck to those who are selling....it soon comes around and then you start to wonder where all those years went!
Old May 28th 2004, 9:47 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: We are officially homeless!!!!!!

Hey! Well done you - I'd be made up if someone left me champagne and a card

Save the money for OZ and you'll be able to buy even more 'togs & thongs'

Who are you flying with - in the past 18months i've changed flights twice - Thai Airlines were free of charge, Qantas/BA was a $50 charge only
Old May 28th 2004, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mlbonner
Hey! Well done you - I'd be made up if someone left me champagne and a card

Save the money for OZ and you'll be able to buy even more 'togs & thongs'

Who are you flying with - in the past 18months i've changed flights twice - Thai Airlines were free of charge, Qantas/BA was a $50 charge only

HI!

We're flying with Cathay, but I think its travelbag ( who we've booked through ) who actually charge the levy for altering flight bookings. I could be wrong though!

I would be reallly pleased too, if the owners of my new house to be left me some champers and flowers etc...

i'm kinda hoping to spread the karma - y'know - what goes around comes around, and all that.
Old May 29th 2004, 12:14 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Eh up Stan, soon be on your way then.

I believe that what you sow you eventually reap so well done on leaving the house spotless.
Old May 29th 2004, 8:32 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

YOU CAN'T LEAVE IN AUGUST!!! i wont stand a chance of leaving by then which means you'd win! that's cheating.

oh well,... i'm a gracious loser so i shall throw in the towel and admit defeat in that case. I'm just happy you're on your way.

good luck with whatever you decide to do and i hope living with the mil isn't too stressful

well done PP1

*hugs* x
Old May 29th 2004, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

leejo is on a distinguished road

Cor blimey, guv'nor, i've enough to buy as many bikinis and thongs as i like!!!!!

Hi there,
Congratulations on selling your house and I hope you will enjoy Cairns as much as we are!! The weather is really beautiful at the minute.

Not sure what kind of 'thongs' you were referring to. Thongs means knickers where I come from, but it is the Aussie word for 'flipflops/sandals', so you can imagine my surprise when I was teaching a Year 1 class over here and they had to make a pair of thongs because they were learning th- words!!!

Just another step on the Aussie learing curve!!

Well done again,
Joanne
Old May 29th 2004, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Glad you've sold the house (finally).

We will hopefully be flying on 21st August with Singapore and you are right about Travelbag charging you the fee for changing as generally the airline doesn't give a stuff.

Good luck with everything.
Old May 29th 2004, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Glad you've sold the house (finally).

We will hopefully be flying on 21st August with Singapore and you are right about Travelbag charging you the fee for changing as generally the airline doesn't give a stuff.

Good luck with everything.
Old May 29th 2004, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Good news about the house!! I know it must be sad but you and your family have go soooo much more to look forward to.

We are going on the 15th July but visiting family first so we will reach Cairns at the start of August. So, if you do change the dates then we will get there more or less the same time!!

Anyway, you'll be fine. Look foward to seeing you in Cairns.

Mandy
Old May 29th 2004, 12:41 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scrawni
Good news about the house!! I know it must be sad but you and your family have go soooo much more to look forward to.

We are going on the 15th July but visiting family first so we will reach Cairns at the start of August. So, if you do change the dates then we will get there more or less the same time!!

Anyway, you'll be fine. Look foward to seeing you in Cairns.

Mandy
Blimey Liza.

Stan and Scrawni arriving the same time.

Look out barrier reef - a tidal is on the way.
Old May 29th 2004, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Leigh and Ste
great post and great news, you are so like me, i have already got the card for the new people, if ever we get a buyer!!! Had 8 viewings this week but no luck as yet
best of luck with everything mate and thanks for just being you
hugs
Rach xxxxxxx
Old May 29th 2004, 6:25 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the club!

Homeless too
Very annoying, but cheap
Glad it's only 6 weeks though, don't know how you'll survive till August/September!
Old May 29th 2004, 7:06 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Why the long wait?
Old May 29th 2004, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

stefian is an unknown quantity at this point

we too will be homeless on friday. The shippers came yesturday and were brilliant. We are going to live with my sister for a week then flying hopefully 9th june, if we can get flights.

Steph
Old May 30th 2004, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

All the best Leigh... I'd be drinking the champers though obviously not as nice as you!
Hope you have a great time in Aus, don't forget us on ye olde forum, we want to know all the ickle details!