Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We May NOT Be Getting Our Tax Bonus

We May NOT Be Getting Our Tax Bonus

Old Mar 30th 2009, 7:57 am
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all
Default We May NOT Be Getting Our Tax Bonus

And i have just had an irrigation system installed in our garden on the basis we would be getting our tax bonus - AAAAGGGHHHHHHHH!!

A law lecturer will today challenge the legality of the Federal Government's proposed tax bonus payments in the High Court.

University of New England law lecturer and former National party officer Bryan Pape will argue the tax bonus of up to $900 is a gift rather than a taxation measure, and does not comply with the Constitution.

Lawyers for the Taxation Commissioner claim the Act that validates the payments is lawful.

The governments of New South Wales, South Australia and Western Australia will also make submissions.

The case was urgently listed after the court and parties agreed it needed to be heard before the end of the month because the roll-out of payments is expected to begin in April.

The hearing is set down for two days.

Mr Pape denies he is politically motivated and says he is mounting the challenge out of concern for the Constitution, not to spoil the Government's $42 billion plan.

"It really stems from a paper I gave to the Samuel Griffiths Society back in 2005 and that's when I canvassed most of these issues and surprisingly, let's say, a suitable vehicle came along to test this issue," Mr Pape said last week.

"What the High Court will decide is whether this tax bonus is valid and to make it valid it needs to come under some head of power, legislative power which the Commonwealth has.

"Some of the powers are, for example, taxation and that was the first one that come to mind."
Old Mar 30th 2009, 8:35 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We May NOT Be Getting Our Tax Bonus

he sounds like an attention seeker this guy, just looking to get his name in print so he can further his career.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to him. This $900 bonus is a sop to get people to vote labor and will do nothing for the economy.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 9:12 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm surprised you didn't notice it earlier in the news or on this forum. Here are a few links from about 10-11 days ago.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=598720
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...19/2520178.htm
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Good luck to him. This $900 bonus is a sop to get people to vote labor and will do nothing for the economy.
Quite agree.................I also think its wrong they way they have administered it!
Old Mar 30th 2009, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't agree more.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 11:18 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel quite ambiveant about whether we get it or not. I don't agree with it and will be uncertain what to do with it if we do get it.
How can you register a protest? Send it back? Burn the cheque/cash?
Old Mar 30th 2009, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
I feel quite ambiveant about whether we get it or not. I don't agree with it and will be uncertain what to do with it if we do get it.
How can you register a protest? Send it back? Burn the cheque/cash?
send it to me and i'll write a letter of complaint to krudd for you
Old Mar 30th 2009, 11:30 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bridie
send it to me and i'll write a letter of complaint to krudd for you

I may give it to some down and outs.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

kim69 will become famous soon enough

i think its agreat idea and does help the economy we got the first round of payments and then the second one at xmas we didnt really need it so just put it towards a jetski so id say we helped the ecomomy putting money thro shop till keeping sales man in work.
we should get 1800 dollars from this tax one so might buy set of skis and a wakeboard,so again helpin economy
all in all everyones a winner..and remember ruddy did say get it spent
Old Mar 30th 2009, 11:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

But there's no election on the horizon and the public have notoriously short memories when election time does come round. All they think about then is what the economy is like at that particular moment not whether they did or didn't get $900 several years previous.

Spending money before you have it is daft.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

I dont agree with the $900 handout but by christ am I going to accept it. I pay enough tax on everything out here and a bit back wont hurt.

I will be spending the handout but not sure what on. I guess I will wait until it appears in my bank account first. (not that I dont trust our politicians!!!!!)

Barney

Last edited by POW148; Mar 30th 2009 at 6:34 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
But there's no election on the horizon and the public have notoriously short memories when election time does come round. All they think about then is what the economy is like at that particular moment not whether they did or didn't get $900 several years previous.

Spending money before you have it is daft.
Well it probably helped with the Queensland state elections and Krudd will be hanging out for a double dissolution trigger and it wouldnt surprise me if he went for that asap while the public memory of his largesse is still strong. He's a very sneaky b*st*rd.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Originally Posted by quoll
Well it probably helped with the Queensland state elections and Krudd will be hanging out for a double dissolution trigger and it wouldnt surprise me if he went for that asap while the public memory of his largesse is still strong. He's a very sneaky b*st*rd.
Kevin is no more sneeky than "little Johnny Howard" ever was.

Barney
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

Do you have to be PR to get it ?

Stu

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.